Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife wanted to refresh the dining room. She wanted one wall with to have shiplap.

The dining room walls are sheetrock. We didn't want to remove the sheetrock from the wall it was going to be installed on, so we decided on Faux Shiplap.
IMG_2689.JPG

We started by ripping 1/4" Luan to a width of 8". I marked the location of the studs on that wall and began nailing the boards in place. I used a 4' level to on each board, as to keep think in line. The board spacing is a "double-nickel" gap between each board. The vertical gaps between are also the same spacing. The cut edges of the boards were primed a few days before installation.
IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

Once all board were installed, we primed all four walls.
IMG_2770.JPG

It's nice to have quality help. :thumbup1gif:
IMG_2771.JPG

Next day, we began painting the first coat of Sherwin Williams Alabaster White.
IMG_2778.JPG

Thanks to Mrs. FW, the last coat is done today.
IMG_2785.JPG

Next will be the base board, windows and door trim. Then, trim around the shiplap wall. I'll post pics of the entire dining room when completed.

·
Premium Member
13,323 Posts
Looks nice FW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Looks very nice. You are lucky. My wife won't paint a lick just complain when it's not done. :banghead::banghead:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's looks great. Your wife is a heck of a painter. You must have been in supervisor mode when you were taking pictures.
I learned from master Giz. :mocking:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to add these pics yesterday. The patio and breezeway are an obstacle course. :laugh:

All trim is #1 pine. Wife want's the old look, no fancy trim.
These trim boards are primed, with the first coat applied on Saturday. I have to put a second coat on today.

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Looks great FW! :bigthumb:
Want another job this coming spring? :munch:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This morning:

Installed base-board on two walls.
IMG_2801.JPG

Almost finished with window trim.
IMG_2805.JPG

Door trim is on.
Door trim needs to be caulked, nail holes filled and touched up.
IMG_2800.JPG
Door is primed. Needs paint.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yesterday, I ran out of caulk before I could finish.

Don't know what happened, but the caulk I applied yesterday is almost gone. :dunno: What I mean is, it shrunk and now looks as if I was skimping on the caulk. I applied it as I always do. I did notice as I was applying, it was going on sort of, kind of, transparent, milky. :dunno: I should have stopped then. :banghead:

Wife got home and asked if I had caulked the trim. I told her, " Yes I did, can't you see?"........... She said, "Nope". When I went to have a look, most was gone, shrunk, gaps. :dunno:
114d0c04-0b46-41b5-be11-a353e57f8ad7_1000.jpg
It was caulk I had on-hand and may have been old. It was an unopenned tube I had sitting around in my shop. Good thing I ran out before doing the complete room. I'll buy new tubs today and re-apply. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
14,714 Posts
Nice job Flyweight and Mrs Flyweight. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some decor for the dining room.

I forgot to post the window treatment earlier. The curtains are a two-tone gray with black curtain rods.

We also hung a few things on the walls.
IMG_3371.JPG

IMG_3387.JPG

A closer view of the black & white pics.
IMG_3388.JPG

IMG_3372 - Copy.JPG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts