Oh yeah!!:fed: :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
Count me in!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
For us Newbs, could you fill us in on the temp you are smoking and the time period or any other methods used.
You should be out testing your casters not concerned with how to cook meat. Just sayin!
If the casters don't work on your forks there won't be any need for me to test mine.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For us Newbs, could you fill us in on the temp you are smoking and the time period or any other methods used.
Well..... Brian, I am ashamed to admit that I am really not sure what I am doing. I have cooked a brisket twice before and had different luck with each. If you search for brisket cooking techniques, the information varies a lot. I decided today that I need to keep a notebook so I can at least remember what I did the last time.

What I think I did last time is smoke for 3 hours, wrap in foil (called a Texas crutch) and put back in for another 3-4. After that time, I pulled from the smoker, wrap in a couple of big towels and put into a cooler (faux cambro). The consensus is that it should sit like that for at least another hour, but up to 3 and will stay very hot!

The first time I did this, I had a a hiccup with the smoker and found it had stopped during the smoking phase. I had left the house and came home to an 80 degree smoker! I frantically restarted and extended the smoke time to around 4 hours. The end result was fantastic. Tender, great flavor, and moist. I did it again 2 weeks later (without the smoke hiccup) and ended up with a drier consistency. The problem I read is that there is a huge variation in quality of brisket.

Now, for temps, my smoker will maintain around 135 degrees on its lowest setting. I swear that is what I used for the first 3 hours above. I then bumped up to a higher temp while foiled. But I have no notes. My research this time talks about doing 225 for the entire process.

When you unfoil the brisket after sitting in the cooler, there is an amazing amount juice in the foil. I do not add any liquid.

The night before, I apply a rub. Again, a combination of things I have read. Here is what I used for each brisket

8 TBLS brown sugar
3 TBLS salt
2 TSP of paprika
1 TSP each of cayenne, black pepper, garlic powder, and cumin

This time, for temps, I started on smoke for an hour (135), then bumped up to 225. At around the 3 hours mark I plan to wrap in foil.

I plan to take good notes this time. Hopefully I can come up with a process that is bulletproof.

I really need a remote thermometer. I have not made that investment yet.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The plan is for an early dinner around 4. Come on down. I am having brussel sprouts, asparagus, and latkes with dinner. Later I will be making jelly doughnuts for dessert.

Lee
I wish I would have seen this when you posted it. I could have been there by 4.
Homemade jelly doughnuts? You HAVE to post details of that!!!!

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Nice job Lee! :drinks: I think I'm going to have to smoke a brisket next after seeing yours!:fed:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Nice job Lee! :drinks: I think I'm going to have to smoke a brisket next after seeing yours!:fed:
I think you should. Maybe you should do that the same day I come by to work on that project...you remember, the one that we're doing the day you decide to smoke a brisket? :laugh::laugh:

Lee, that looks great. I'm interested in hearing more about the jelly doughnuts though. What went wrong?

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
I'm interested in hearing more about the jelly doughnuts though. What went wrong?
The cop down the road smelled them?:unknown:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you should. Maybe you should do that the same day I come by to work on that project...you remember, the one that we're doing the day you decide to smoke a brisket? :laugh::laugh:

Lee, that looks great. I'm interested in hearing more about the jelly doughnuts though. What went wrong?
In past years I have done a raised doughnut (with yeast) that took several hours of prep time. I found a recipe this year that was a sour cream doughnut that made small drop doughnuts. It was a throw together recipe using baking powder instead of yeast. I am not sure what exactly happened. They browned entirely too fast. I guess the oil was too hot. I was done cooking all of them and then went back and split some open only to find that they were raw inside! I even tried taking some of the bigger ones, splitting in half, and putting back into the oil. I never even got to the stage of putting jelly in. I threw out the entire batch. Dessert was saved because two of the guests brought desserts, so we really didn't need the doughnuts anyway!

Maybe next year. :(

Lee

1 - 16 of 16 Posts