Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have JD 2305
I replaced fule shutoff solenoid when I started Diode V4 heated up and burned up.
Has any one had issues like this before? any help would be great.

Thank you
Lenny C.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I want to say I think someone here had an issue similar with a solenoid. I can't remember what tractor but there was something wrong with the connector in the solenoid or the wiring harness where the pins were in the wrong spot and were causing the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,930 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia

:wgtt:

Had a diode to go on the 2305 I had but ,the diode was causing my problem of not starting and not the fuel shutoff solenoid .

Main difference the diode didn't smoke... Just wondering was the tractor not starting , the reason for the replacement of the fuel shutoff solenoid.

and if so was it really bad or was it the diode bad to begin with... :dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Welcome from Alabama. I'm sorry that I can't offer any assistance to your problem but from personal experience I know once you let the smoke out of those diodes, they don't work anymore.:dunno: Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have JD 2305
I replaced fule shutoff solenoid when I started Diode V4 heated up and burned up.

Thank you
Lenny C.
Did you ever figure out what cause the V4 Diode to heat up and burn out. Having the same issue.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
First, so far I have no tractor electronics experience. I do have a lot of experience in electricity/electronics in other applications.
If the diode was wired as an anti-chatter or spike reducer it would be across the solenoid coil winding. Sometimes they would go bad but not all that often. What is telling to me is the new one you just installed had the problem. It is possible it was the wrong one with the diode oriented for opposite polarity (think positive vs negative ground), it was miswired (diode in backwards), the connector miswired, or just wired for a different circuit connector. Was the new solenoid an exact replacement or a "this should work" replacement? A wiring diagram of the solenoid circuit would help me guess better.

An event on a similar note happened to me in the early 70's. On a long trip through the bayous my alternator died. I pulled into a Sears (only credit card I had) parking lot before the battery ran out and waited the 9 hours until they opened. I gave them make, model, engine and any other information they wanted, and paid for a new one. Installed it right there in the parking lot. The car was my first and a wreck on a good day so I always had tools with me. When I turned the key a lot of sparks and smoke under the hood. When I looked most of the alternator wiring had burned off all the insulation. I took the bad alternator back in to the Sears and told them what happened, they checked the one they sold me and decided it was the wrong one, built for a car with positive ground. Got the now bare wires separated so they wouldn't short together, got the new correct alternator in and finished my trip. Sears refused to help repair the damage. The only difference between the right and wrong alternators was the polarity of the diodes inside.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I have JD 2305

Thank you
Lenny C.
Lenny,
I don't have a schematic, but finding the issue should be simplistic. You're diode burned up because there is a direct short to ground at one of the components in the path of the diode. Using a good volt meter measure from the diode to each component in line and from each component to ground. You'll eventually find the short.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
FYI:
Lenny posted the question in 2015 and has never been back.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I wonder if he ever got that smoke back in.

·
Premium Member
11,917 Posts
Another "One and Done", unresolved, open ended thread without any useful conclusion, from a single post by someone who never bothered to return, likely now brought to us by the "recommended threads" feature.

If only there was a way to increase GTT participants use of the "Advanced Search" feature and reduce their current day response to the long inactive threads, it would be a very good thing............I think if I see one more "New thread about Ballast" because they just didn't find the answer they were seeking, I think my head will explode. Or maybe it already has. .

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Got me. I didn't look at the date of the original post. I usually just cruise the new posts and not many of them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts