Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 3032e. Dirt dobbers have been spinning their mud cakes in the ignition switch hole. Needless to say cleaning that stuff out so the key will slide back in is a royal pain. Anyone else here have that problem and if so how are you dealing with it? I originally tried to find a silicone cover molded to slip over the key hole when not in use but no luck. Amazon has a replacement ignition switch with two keys that have small dust covers but that would require leaving the key in the tractor all the time.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DBGKCT2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2JVL6TSCPHJSV&psc=1

Thanks
Jack

·
Premium Member
9,852 Posts
Those suckers are a pain in the butt.

Don't have any ideas off of the top of my head, but I'll stick around and see what the GTT Brain Trust comes up with. :munch:

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
882 Posts
You could get an extra key, file it enough to make it non-functional, and then either use the cover you found or glue a larger piece to it that protects the area. Easy in, easy out...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Had the same thing happen and had to clean it out with a pin. The duct tape idea worked well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Stick a small rare earth magnet over the hole.
I have been having that problem with my Old Ferguson tractors. Thanks for the magnet idea.

Reactions: rtgt and MadOx

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've had it happen a few times. Dig it out enough to stick a WD-40 tube in and spray away. It will flush out the dirt and lube the internal workings of the switch.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've had it happen a few times. Dig it out enough to stick a WD-40 tube in and spray away. It will flush out the dirt and lube the internal workings of the switch.
I like the lubing with WD-40 but would use compressed air to blow the dirt out first. Wd-40 could cause the dirt to stick in the lock tumblers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Reactions: Dr Kubar and rtgt

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I used silicone spray. Hasn’t been a problem the last couple years - I should probably spray it again for preventative measures.
If the tiny metal door in the keyway would snap shut like it is supposed to there wouldn’t be an issue.

·
Premium Member
7,841 Posts
Since COVID 19, the news has been reporting a lot more break ins. I now remove my keys, I never use to :rolleyes:.
I know how easy it is to get a key, BUT no sense making it super easy by leaving the key in the ignition switch.
The mud dobbers have hit the deadbolt lock on my barn, but so far have not found the tractors inside :)

Reactions: rtgt
1 - 16 of 16 Posts