Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
My friend has one like that, except his is industrially produced and I don't know what brand it is. Its big and blue, if you're wondering. He runs topsoil and compost through it (he does garden supply), and so far he has probably done over 40 tons.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Johnh123, if possible, can you get the brand? I'd be open to buying a used one.

Meanwhile is a 30' Grady White.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I can try. I do remember him saying something about it costing 20k, so be aware of the cost.

·
Super Moderator
4,956 Posts
The term you are looking for is topsoil screener. There are some blue ones new on craigslist all over for around $5500.
Yup. This guy advertises all over the place:

https://worcester.craigslist.org/hvd/d/desite-slg78-vf-portable/6644974305.html

I built one using 2'x4' and screening but it gets plugged up to easily if I dump a full bucket onto it. If I can find a couple of larger tractor rims I want to build a tromel screener. I can build chute to dump into that would feed it as I go grab another load.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can try. I do remember him saying something about it costing 20k, so be aware of the cost.
Ouch. Not in that much of need.

I'm looking for plans or photos for ideas. I have to bolt it together as I don't weld.

·
Registered
11,951 Posts
Ouch. Not in that much of need.

I'm looking for plans or photos for ideas. I have to bolt it together as I don't weld.

if u go to Bob's u tube channel-he has plans for his top soil screener u saw. in fact he shows him building it on u-tube. watch all his episodes of building it-and getting started with it-as it wasn't quite steep enough, so he just took his hoee-dug a hole for it-so the dirt would slide down the screen better. one of the best homemade screener's on u-tube -IMO.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Trommel

Another option is to search for "Trommel" or "Compost Sifter" on YouTube. There seems to be quite a few DIY ones that may work depending on the amount of material needed to be sifted.

For years, I've been using a square frame with ¼" wire mesh. It is sized to fit over my wheelbarrow. I put 3-4 shovel fulls of material on it, pick out the larger rocks and sift the rest by hand. Its slow but gets the job done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts