Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
CAUTION: Disabling any feature that is intended as a safety device can subject the operator of the modified equipment and those in the immediate vicinity to an increased risk of injury or death. Please use your own best judgment when performing any safety modification to your equipment.

Note: The photos shown here are of a John Deere 1026R with a serial number beyond 210000.

You will need the following tools:
  • 10mm open end wrench
  • Socket wrench
  • 8mm socket
  • 10mm socket
  • Small allen wrench
  • #3 Phillips head screwdriver (#2 will work as well)

Remove the lower kick panel from the operator's station
  • Remove the deck height adjustment knob by pulling straight up on the knob. It is friction fit; there is no set screw.
  • For 1026Rs, loosen the set screw on the rate of drop dial using an allen wrench and slide the knob off of the adjustment rod.
  • Remove the 10mm bolt and washer from both sides of the operator station kick panel. These are the top bolts located just below the seat on both sides. Be careful not to lose the metal spacers. When you pull the bolt out it should be sitting in the well where the bolt was just removed.
  • Remove #3 phillips head screws and washers from the bottom portion of the kick panel. You'll find these in the recessed holes on both sides of the operator's station.
  • At this point you should be able to wiggle the kick panel free. Note that the top of the panel is tabbed and rests underneath the plastic panels on each side of the operator's seat. The middle of the kick panel rest underneath the seat mounting platform. Set the panel aside.
  • Optional: Take a moment to note just how dirty your machine gets in the places you cant normally see or get too.:laugh:

The Reverse Sensing Switch (RSS)

In the photos below, you'll see the switch that lets the control circuits of the tractor understand when the reverse pedal has been pressed. The lever action is such that when neither pedal is being pressed, the RSS is depressed. When the forward pedal is pressed, the RSS is depressed. When the reverse pedal is pressed, the RSS is released and the switch is deactivated. I used a circuit tracer (hey, use what you got:thumbup1gif: ) to run some traces on the contacts. This demonstrated to me that the two left terminals (from referencing the third photo below) are normally connected to complete a circuit. When the switch is depressed these terminals are opened and the two right terminals are closed completing a circuit. It is also worth noting that if you disconnect the switch and switch the ignition to START, the LCD will display REVERSE SENSOR ERROR. The tractor knows to look for that switch during POST!

How to override the RSS

In theory, you could just jumper the two mating terminals on the right (from reference in photo above and the red and blue wires in the second photo below) and call it a day. However, I wanted to be able to leave everything connected and make the switch stay depressed. Here is where you can get creative. Below is what I did to accomplish the task.

I had an old piece of angled aluminum from an old garage door sensor mount. I modified it by cutting off the excess and drilling two mount holes that matched the dimensions of the screws used to mount the RSS to the bracket. The screws are 8mm with 10mm nuts. Once everything was mounted back up, the angled bracket kept the switch depressed.

I jumped up on the seat, started the tractor, activated the mid-PTO, and pressed the reverse pedal. SUCCESS, the mower stayed running!:yahoo:

After a little more testing, I put the kick panel back on in the same manner in which it was removed. Looks factory original, and all I have to do to enable the "safety feature" of the RSS is remove my angled bracket.

I'd like to thank an anonymous contributor that helped point me in the right direction to look for this switch. PLEASE, be careful anytime you are using your tractors and be aware that disabling any safety feature puts the responsibility on you to perform in its stead.

:bye2:

·
Administrator
22,445 Posts
Can a zip tie be used?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for figuring this out! :thumbup1gif:

I am going to want to do this, but golly gee, I was hoping it would be a little more simple

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually tried a zip tie and I didn't like the finished product. The button part of the switch is a rubber like material and the zip tie did not seem to want to stay in place.

·
Administrator
22,445 Posts
Maybe a zip tie to hold the switch in and another around (axially) the tip to keep the first one on? Just thinking out loud...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Though it does not apply to me or my tractor:yahoo: I thank you and your collaborating team for a great and very useful PSA posting:thumbup1gif::laugh::lol::drinks:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just by chance I jumpered my RIO tonight. I was going to post how I did it but looks like someone beat me to it. I however chose a different route.

I took off the right engine side panel (one 10 mm bolt). Removed the connector from the pto knob. Checked how it works. The top two connections (red, yellow) are for the pto engage. The bottom two (red, orange) are for the RIO engage. I just jumpered the red/orange. Same result.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1026R first time mowing

We just took delivery of our 2012 1026R, today.

I just mowed this evening for the first time, and when I tried to back a bit out of a corner at the pasture fence,
the mower deck and tractor shut down.
I thought it may have been because I shifted my weight to look behind me.
But it did it again.
So I assumed it was a safety feature.
It is not something our 430 (1991) does.
We finally found info in the manual so we will be able to override the RIO.
All we have to do is manually lift up on the mower deck/PTO engage knob (yellow) as we back.

so then I found this thread where guys are actually disabling the whole thing.

Is this because you didn't want to have to hold the knob up while you backed?

·
Administrator
22,445 Posts
Is this because you didn't want to have to hold the knob up while you backed?
Yes. RIO is supposed to make you safer to prevent you from mowing in reverse. It can be over-ridden by pulling out the PTO knob in the spring loaded position and allow you to mow in reverse. This is very annoying and has the potential to put a lot more wear and tear on your tractor.:thumbsdown: Therefore many people will find a way to get rid of this "feature". However in doing so, you the owner take full responsibility of operating the machine with that (safety?) system bypassed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Disabling the RIO is really a personal preference. Yes, you can stop forward motion, pull up on the PTO switch and while doing so press the reverse pedal, then release the switch in order to override the safety feature. My thinking is if they make it so easy to override yet so unnatural (looking forward and having to remember to pull up on a switch while pressing the reverse pedal which makes it difficult to even look behind you before backing) then why not just semi-permanantly disable the "safety feature" from even being a nuisance?

:soapbox: I'd like to point out that the RIO is not mentioned in any sales literature I was given (it is mentioned in the latest owner's manual), there is not yet an updated technical manual that includes the RIO or any of the other production changes, it was not even known by my dealer, nor is it mentioned online on Deere's site. It's main purpose is to make sure that the legal teams of a careless operator have a harder time trying to place the accountability for an unfortunate event on the machine manufacturer instead of the operator.

In all honesty, it is not that difficult to get used to pulling up on the switch but you have to ask yourself... why? Why do I need to jump through several more hoops just to mow in reverse? If you truely believe that it is more safe, then by all means leave the RIO as is and be safe and happy. Otherwise, disable it and be safe and happy.

:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Levi and JDWIS

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hmm. My Simplicity from 2004 has a key that you turn to over ride the RIO until you shut off the tractor. Since I don't have anyone around to run over I always used it. I mow in reverse all the time, it's very convenient. Now, the 2720 does not have a RIO so it's not a problem.

By the way, I have seen children that have been run over and severely injured, so I am not going to disparage the RIO. Then again, I've seen people get run over going forward too....

·
Administrator
22,445 Posts
There was a little girl who was severely injured near to where I live last year. The two girls were playing with the riding lawn mower and one ran over the other's leg. What responsible parent allows that to happen? BTW, the parent allowed it to happen all the time. "Nothing ever happened before. They had so much fun."

You can't fix stupid.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My question to those with the RIO, if you have just the rear pto selected do you still have to pull up on the switch. I ask as with mine I got a rear 3pt snowblower and could only begin to guess what a pain it would be with the RIO.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My question to those with the RIO, if you have just the rear pto selected do you still have to pull up on the switch. I ask as with mine I got a rear 3pt snowblower and could only begin to guess what a pain it would be with the RIO.
Great question. Thankfully, when the PTO selection lever is set to rear PTO only, the RIO is disabled. If the lever is set to mid-PTO only OR mid-PTO AND rear PTO then the RIO is enabled. Using a rear mounted PTO driven implement should not be a problem. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Oberhaz

·
Registered
207 Posts
Brad, Thanks for the post. I disabled mine this morning using your technique. I knew there was a reason that I keep every extra bracket that comes the tractor accessories, washing machines, computer desks, etc. Just about the time I think I should throw the box of miscellaneous items out I find a need. I don't remember what is was from but it fit perfectly and I only had to drill one 3/16" hole. The other was in perfect location.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
New guy here. I just got a 1026R the 1st of this month and it did not have the RIO. Has a low 210 Serial#. :dance:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hoosier,

Just wondering how you jumped the PTO switch. I do not know that much about electrical, but was wondering how you did your version. Did you take the wires out of the plug and connect them together, or did you do something else. Clueless on your process!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I don't have a RIO on my 2520, and everything else I've owned was so old it was before RIOs were invented (well, other than the RIO we all have called a brain). So once you back up and the PTO shuts off, do you have to physically push the PTO button again when you go forward to engage it? The RIO really sounds like a PITA.

I didn't read this thread initially because my tractor doesn't have a RIO, but it had been getting so much activity I wanted to see what the commotion was about. I'm not going to relate any of the tractor versus kids and family pet stories I've been told (no need to talk of sad things on a forum that is generally upbeat such as this one), but I'm thinking that in most cases if you back up over a child with a 1026R, they are going to be injured whether the mower is running or not. For the record, any of the injury stories I've heard all involved forward motion, not reverse.

·
Registered
489 Posts
... So once you back up and the PTO shuts off, do you have to physically push the PTO button again when you go forward to engage it? The RIO really sounds like a PITA.
Andy,

My 1026 has a really sensitive RIO setting. If I even think about backing up, the PTO stops. Okay, I'm exagerating ... but just a little. If I just touch the reverse pedal, the PTO stops. I must actually lift the PTO knob before touching the pedal. I must hold the PTO knob up until the tractor begins moving backward; then I can release the knob and continue backward - PTO engaged. No need to touch the PTO knob when switching to forward motion.

My 10 year old JD445 actually had the exact same setup so I'm quite used to holding the knob up when initiating backward motion. The 445 was not quite as sensative as this new tractor is though. Also, the 445 just stopped the PTO and not the engine.

To answer your question: Once the PTO shuts down due to backward motion without holding the knob up, you have to push the knob down, start forward motion and then pull the knob up. That gets the PTO going again. Then you have to hold the knob up (higher) and begin backward motion and then let go of the knob and continue backward motion.

Reactions: andy b.

·
Administrator
22,445 Posts
Don't forget to idle the tractor down before re-engaging the PTO. This is mentioned in the owner's manual. Engaging the PTO with the engine at or near idle reduces the shock and load induced on the drivetrain. :good2:

You can thank RIO for more wear and tear on your tractor.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.