Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First thing I am going to say is buy a technical manual. It has everything you would every need to know up the street for calibrating the cutting height to what the dial says, to adjust the pedals and everything in between. There are pages of parameter settings and adjustments that need to be set electronically. Perhaps intimidating at first but I have yet to bleed, sweat or be burned adjusting parameters.

Jbhays has a good post in the "2017 2 Series (2038R???)" thread around page 58 on how to jumper the rear/mid pto selector. If this meets your needs he does a good job showing it and where you can get the plugs to jumper it and plug the switch so crap does not get in it. The only disadvantage to it I see is you lose the rpm readout for the mid pto since it always thinks it is using the rear. Probably not a big deal.

You can also go through the parameters as shown on the two photos and disable the RIO feature through the ICC parameters. It is easily reversible and requires nothing but pushing buttons.

ICC-014 from the factory is set at 01
For the first digit "0" 0 = No front PTO
1= Front PTO
Mine was set at zero which is confusing but perhaps this same control is used on tractors with a front pto, not a mid so that is why.

For the second digit "1" 0 = No RIO
1 = RIO PTH (do not know what PTH means but this is what it was set at. Seems it is RIO for Mid
2 = RIO PTR (do not know what it means but suspect it could be to enable RIO for rear)

Setting the value of ICC-014 to 00 will disable the RI0 from working when you back up.

I added a couple notes on the page because I always believe in writing parameter values down before changing them. There is also a step missing to get from the module you need to the parameters in it.

The nice thing is if you get lost at any point just shut off the key and it returns to normal. Once you get to changing the actual parameters you won't get lost.

Added 4/30. After changing any parameters always shut the key off to exit this mode.

It is raining out but in the shop it never failed to work. The rear pto still shuts it down if you leave the seat without setting the parking brake and pushing the PTO switch to the override position before standing. All seems to function as before except it does not shut down the mid pto when reversing. The other advantage of doing this is that since it knows it is using the mid pto you cannot exit the seat pushing the rio switch and have the deck keep running. It will still shut off if you leave the seat.

Of course I am in no way stating I would do either of the above options. It is always best to trust the government.:usa

The pictures are not as clear here as on my screen. My apologies. I tried 3 cameras and different settings and these were as good as I could get:hide: If you click on the photos they are much better when they open.:good2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great info! It will be a couple weeks before I get a chance to try this, so if you bump into any unforeseen issues, please report back.

Many thanks,
Bill.

·
Registered
599 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much was it? Direct from JD it looks like $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good choice to buy it.

I got the paper copy because there are a lot of things you need to bounce around from page to page just like this and I find it harder on the PDF. However the other technical manuals I have are not 1200 pages long. I should've gotten a PDF and then printed it. Gresswj said it was 100 for the disk and 200 for the paper. Pn TM143919

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah I would get the paper copy. Only other option comes on a CD. I haven't owned a computer with CD drive or printer since college around 10 years ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I would get the paper copy. Only other option comes on a CD. I haven't owned a computer with CD drive or printer since college around 10 years ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Punk!:laugh:

·
Registered
599 Posts
I just made this change and it still cuts off in reverse. See ICC-014 to 00

·
Registered
599 Posts
3 ignition cycles later it now works as expected.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I just made this change and it still cuts off in reverse. See ICC-014 to 00

Are you sure you were in the ICC parameters? I am sure you probably were. This worked perfect on mine. I attached a video but it is a large 29 meg file so it might take a while to load. this is the link.

I've shared some of my files or folders with you. To open them, just click the link(s) below.Here’s a link to “2017-04-30 14.58.17.mov” in my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnmlkzne4e04l45/2017-04-30 14.58.17.mov?dl=0

I don't know if some are different but seems strange they would be. For reference my tractor was built 3/7/17. The tech manual is dated 12/15/16 so I would think any in that date range would be the same.:dunno:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3 ignition cycles later it now works as expected.

I see you got it. I was typing a reply and uploading things took longer than I thought. Made me nervous because I could not see any reason it wouldn't work. Thank you for the update :bigthumb:

I updated the original post because I do like the fact that you cannot exit the seat even if you hold down the PTO switch like you can if you're using the 540. The 72 inch deck sticks out quite a ways and I would hate to override it get off the seat, go to get back on slip and cut my toes off. I like my toes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I see you got it. I was typing a reply and uploading things took longer than I thought. Made me nervous because I could not see any reason it wouldn't work. Thank you for the update :bigthumb:

I updated the original post because I do like the fact that you cannot exit the seat even if you hold down the PTO switch like you can if you're using the 540. The 72 inch deck sticks out quite a ways and I would hate to override it get off the seat, go to get back on slip and cut my toes off. I like my toes.
I didn't cut off the ignition after updating the parameter. I just started the tractor and started mowing. I guess the computer needs to reboot by turning the ignition off before it is applied. 4 hours of mowing later I am so glad I did this.

·
Registered
530 Posts
How do I get to ICC.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do I get to ICC.

At step three where I wrote in pencil push they display then the turn. I wrote that in because it seems they forgot that step.

·
Registered
530 Posts
L

Thank you. I will try it tomorrow. Can't do anything else. It's been raining here since the 2038 was delivered.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you. I will try it tomorrow. Can't do anything else. It's been raining here since the 2038 was delivered.
I know the feeling. Be happy though it will stop raining there 2 hours before it stops here.

·
Registered
773 Posts
What year did JD start using processors/software on 1 & 2 series???
Thx

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
First thing I am going to say is buy a technical manual. It has everything you would every need to know up the street for calibrating the cutting height to what the dial says, to adjust the pedals and everything in between. There are pages of parameter settings and adjustments that need to be set electronically. Perhaps intimidating at first but I have yet to bleed, sweat or be burned adjusting parameters.

Jbhays has a good post in the "2017 2 Series (2038R???)" thread around page 58 on how to jumper the rear/mid pto selector. If this meets your needs he does a good job showing it and where you can get the plugs to jumper it and plug the switch so crap does not get in it. The only disadvantage to it I see is you lose the rpm readout for the mid pto since it always thinks it is using the rear. Probably not a big deal.

You can also go through the parameters as shown on the two photos and disable the RIO feature through the ICC parameters. It is easily reversible and requires nothing but pushing buttons.

ICC-014 from the factory is set at 01
For the first digit "0" 0 = No front PTO
1= Front PTO
Mine was set at zero which is confusing but perhaps this same control is used on tractors with a front pto, not a mid so that is why.

For the second digit "1" 0 = No RIO
1 = RIO PTH (do not know what PTH means but this is what it was set at. Seems it is RIO for Mid
2 = RIO PTR (do not know what it means but suspect it could be to enable RIO for rear)

Setting the value of ICC-014 to 00 will disable the RI0 from working when you back up.

I added a couple notes on the page because I always believe in writing parameter values down before changing them. There is also a step missing to get from the module you need to the parameters in it.

The nice thing is if you get lost at any point just shut off the key and it returns to normal. Once you get to changing the actual parameters you won't get lost.

Added 4/30. After changing any parameters always shut the key off to exit this mode.

It is raining out but in the shop it never failed to work. The rear pto still shuts it down if you leave the seat without setting the parking brake and pushing the PTO switch to the override position before standing. All seems to function as before except it does not shut down the mid pto when reversing. The other advantage of doing this is that since it knows it is using the mid pto you cannot exit the seat pushing the rio switch and have the deck keep running. It will still shut off if you leave the seat.

Of course I am in no way stating I would do either of the above options. It is always best to trust the government.:usa

The pictures are not as clear here as on my screen. My apologies. I tried 3 cameras and different settings and these were as good as I could get:hide: If you click on the photos they are much better when they open.:good2:
Silly question - How do you determine what the PW is?

Thanks sincerely,

1 - 20 of 54 Posts