Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3rd SCV is stuck open. I verified 12v at both connectors and gave it numerous “love taps” with a mallet on both end covers and the center body via a drift/punch, ran at full throttle and ran the buttons but still no dice. I hooked up the snowblower and as soon as the tractor starts, the chute rotates to one side and stops. I switched the hoses, started tractor, and same thing in opposite directions. It appears to be affecting my H180 loader’s lift and the rockshaft lift, probably due to the stuck 3rd SCV deadheading almost immediately.

Has anyone disassembled one of these on the tractor and tried to free up the spool from whatever corrosion is present? Based on the parts diagram it looks like the SCV end cap might unscrew and give access to the spool so I can smack it (nicely) with a punch? Not really looking forward to paying $850+ for a new assembly and hoping to just jar this one free to where my loader works again, and don’t really need the 3rd SCV so am OK with just getting it closed off to where the other stuff should work.

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
618 Posts
I haven't disassembled this valve, but it sure looks doable without removing from the tractor. As you know, you have to remove the right rear wheel and 2 covers. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pics on it — hoping the end caps just unscrew and that is how the solenoid bodies are replaced, but it’s hard to tell from the diagram.

I also considered simply removing that 3rd SCV and buying the block off plate and whatever the hard line would be to the 2 spool. 3rd SCV is a nice feature to have, but it seems like it is high maintenance and high expense to keep happy long term and I’d rather not drop $850 for a temporary fix. Guessing mine getting stuck open and deadheading is probably not the norm, granted, but am unhappy with what seems to be a problematic design.

·
Registered
618 Posts
After your experience, I am thinking about plugging a short piece of hose (with quick disconnect fittings) between the two 3rd SCV hose connectors so that each time I hit the stick mounted buttons there is actual hydraulic fluid flow through the valve - even when no implement is attached.

I installed the 3rd SCV option this year to support use of a grapple and a front mounted hydraulic post hole digger, but I don't yet have either of those devices, and want to be able to periodically exercise the electric solenoid driven SCV valve (including flow) to prevent sticking.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
After your experience, I am thinking about plugging a short piece of hose (with quick disconnect fittings) between the two 3rd SCV hose connectors so that each time I hit the stick mounted buttons there is actual hydraulic fluid flow through the valve - even when no implement is attached.

I installed the 3rd SCV option this year to support use of a grapple and a front mounted hydraulic post hole digger, but I don't yet have either of those devices, and want to be able to periodically exercise the electric solenoid driven SCV valve (including flow) to prevent sticking.
That’s a great idea!

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Old Pa-pa
14,819 Posts
What I do and notice, even without a hose attached between fittings, is the 3rd SCV hoses jump
when I hit the buttons on the stick.
I figure with the "jump" there is enough pressure up and pressure down flow to exercise the
valve and prevent it from sticking.
I like your idea though, that way I would definitely know I'm getting flow. (y)

Reactions: JDLTG

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
When I bought my tractor and the service dept installed the 3rd SCV, the tech told me if you don’t use it very often, they will eventually stick. He said once every month or two to just turn the key on without starting the tractor and operate the buttons back and forth a couple times and make sure you hear the solenoids click. That should keep the solenoids free. It’s worked so far although since I’ve bought the grapple, those solenoids are getting a workout.

·
Administrator
22,927 Posts
When I bought my tractor and the service dept installed the 3rd SCV, the tech told me if you don’t use it very often, they will eventually stick. He said once every month or two to just turn the key on without starting the tractor and operate the buttons back and forth a couple times and make sure you hear the solenoids click. That should keep the solenoids free. It’s worked so far although since I’ve bought the grapple, those solenoids are getting a workout.
Once every month is not enough IMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Once every month is not enough IMHO.
You’re right. It was probably 3 months from the time I took delivery to when I actually used it to raise/lower my chisel plow. It took a few clicks to get it to go. After that it was used pretty frequently so it wasn’t a problem. Over the winter months I just made sure to activate it every time I used the tractor. Now that I have a grapple, I shouldn’t have to worry about it again. I never thought I’d own one, but it’s become the most useful tool I have.

I’m sure different areas of the country effect it too with different humidity levels, coastal air, etc. The humidity here remains pretty consistent around 45 year round with small fluctuations.

·
Registered
618 Posts
It is fortunate that the mechanically actuated SCV valves seem to be mostly impervious to this problem since your arm has so much more force to move a sticky valve spool than the coil/electromagnetic in the electric 3rd SCV.

I installed a mechanically actuated rear SCV kit on my 4610 5 years ago, and only used it for the first time last month. I was worried that after all those years of not using it (or even moving the lever) that it might not work, but it worked flawlessly as if it were a brand new install.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the same problem with my 3rd scv - except it is stuck closed (won’t do anything when I push the button). I bought the tractor new in 2016, and despite pushing the button everytime I use the tractor, the valve still gets stuck.
When I need to use my grapple, I can usually bump the grapple on the ground and that unsticks the valve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.