Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4052M with imatch. Was looking for a good 6' or 6 1/2' disc. The frontier is out of my price range. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
That is too small. Go for a 8ft disk. I have an old Dearborn 8ft Disk that I use on my 4066R. It only weighs 700lbs. However, it will not work on my iMatch, but no more than I use it, I can get by. They run $800-$1000 around here, so I went out to western KS near the CO border to get this one and an 8ft light duty rear blade for $100 in an online auction. I sold the rear blade for $100, so all I have in the disk is the cost of gas and my time. It was nearly 800 miles round trip that day, but I was home by 8PM.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you ever find that a disc being wider than the rear wheels presents a problem? Some have suggested to me that I should never get a disc wider than the tractor. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Do you ever find that a disc being wider than the rear wheels presents a problem? Some have suggested to me that I should never get a disc wider than the tractor. Your thoughts?

Well, that is a new one on me. Never heard that one before. Everything I have is wider than my tractor, except my box blade that I already had. The tractor is 6ft wide. If you get a6ft disk, by the time you set the angle on it, it will be narrower than the tractor and will not wipe out your tracks. My 8ft disk will barely wipe out the tracks.

Dave

·
Registered
596 Posts
I’m running a 6’ antique set of disks behind my 2038r. I also agree that you should look for a 8’ set for your tractor. The 6’ behind mine seems like a perfect width of disk vs width of tractor. HP or traction doesn’t seem to be pushing it, I bet I could pull an 8’ set as I’ve never even needed 4wd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Well, that is a new one on me. Never heard that one before. Everything I have is wider than my tractor, except my box blade that I already had. The tractor is 6ft wide. If you get a6ft disk, by the time you set the angle on it, it will be narrower than the tractor and will not wipe out your tracks. My 8ft disk will barely wipe out the tracks.

Dave
X2..

·
Registered
12,521 Posts
Never heard that one before either, discs are almost always wider than the tractor pulling them. For your tractor I agree with Dave, you want a minimum 8’, you could probably find a good set of pull behind used for a decent price, you do have rear remotes correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Get the remotes

I'll second or third the idea of a pull type disc as you can go bigger and heavier without worrying about losing steering. I also think you can find an 8' disc inexpensively enough to let you pay for a set of rear remotes. If so, that would be a win-win as rear remotes are one of those things that become more and more useful.

Unless I was doing food plots in a restricted area, or a garden inside a fence I would definitely want a disc that was wider than my wheel tracks. Otherwise you have to lap each pass to take out one set of tracks while leaving another set, hopefully not as deep. Anyway you go, if the disc doesn't cover the tracks, you've got wheel tracks down the field and it's guaranteed that you will get a different planting depth and germination in those tracks. It might be better or it might be worse but it will definitely be different. (I won't go into possibly getting a disc to cut fire lines in and around a prescribed burn area. Even then, I want them to cover the tracks but don't want the disc more than a few inches outside the wheel tracks as it's easy to snag something with a large overhang.)

Go wider and wipe out those tracks.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wanted to ask another question relating to this post if possible, For my 4052M would it be better to pull the Bush hog 1D78 or 2D78. the 2D says at least 65 horse power at the drawbar. I would like to go as heavy as possible

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I wanted to ask another question relating to this post if possible, For my 4052M would it be better to pull the Bush hog 1D78 or 2D78. the 2D says at least 65 horse power at the drawbar. I would like to go as heavy as possible
Unless you have R1 tires you are not going to have the traction to pull a pull behind disk. I have to use 4wd with my 3pt 8ft disk and R4 tires.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,521 Posts
I would find it hard to believe that a 4052 couldn't handle a 78" disc, my little 2025 handles my 66" Frontiers with so little problem I've considered going a bigger.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have R4 tires and have pulled a 6 footer with no problem at all, I just wanted to get others opinions on that. I have never had to use the 4wd other than to get out of wet stuff

·
Registered
12,521 Posts
I have R4 tires and have pulled a 6 footer with no problem at all, I just wanted to get others opinions on that. I have never had to use the 4wd other than to get out of wet stuff
You're only talking about 6 more inches, if it were me I'd get the heavier set, but ultimately it's up to you.

·
Registered
12,521 Posts
Thanks everyone
I meant to add to my previous post, when I bought mine I opted for the DH1066 instead of the heavier DH1166 being cautious of whether or not I'd have enough tractor since there is no return policy on these. I very quickly realized that I've got enough tractor for the heavier 1166. You have a tractor that is more than double the HP of mine. Just food for thought. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts