Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I give up.

Just took delivery on a new JD X354 tractor and I want to take the discharge chute off as it has the mulching option which I use instead of the chute. I undid the two bolts but it would still not come off. Is the a special tool required? The bolts were bad enough as the bolt comes in from the bottom and is held by a small square ridge on the bolt. I am brusied all the way up my arm from tring to hold it in. I guess JD does not want people removing this chute. There is a huge message imbossed on the chute to not remove or go to jail HeHe! How does this thing come off? I guess I could use a bungy cord but that sucks. With it down I canot get close to things. Help!

Technology Electronic device Measuring instrument Office equipment Tool

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Do you have a pic of it on the deck.Couple of different angels so we can get a good look at it so we can help you.

Reactions: Toolfriend

·
Premium Member
16,467 Posts
Do you have the 42" or 48" deck? The chutes attach differently on each.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have the 42" or 48" deck? The chutes attach differently on each.
Hi,

I have the 42 inch Edge Deck. I hope that helps. Thank you for getting back to me. I will send some photos when I can.

·
Premium Member
16,467 Posts
Hi,

I have the 42 inch Edge Deck. I hope that helps. Thank you for getting back to me. I will send some photos when I can.
According to the parts breakdown the chute is only held on with two bolts.

Auto part Automotive window part Line art Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the parts breakdown the chute is only held on with two bolts.

View attachment 341265
Hi Jgayman,

I saw that too so I took off the two nuts and bolts but the chute was still firmly attached. I looked under the deck for more bolts but did not find any. It was on there so tight there has to be something else holding it on.

Thank you for checking for me.

·
Premium Member
16,467 Posts
Are you sure the bracket isn't just glued fast to the paint?

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
From what I can see #21 the chute looks like it snaps on to #22.The other thing is #23 the spring could be holding it with some pressure from the tension.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I can see #21 the chute looks like it snaps on to #22.The other thing is #23 the spring could be holding it with some pressure from the tension.
Good observation. I guess I better go have another closer look. I am not sure what holds #22 in place.

Thank you very much,

L

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
#25 goes thru a bracket on the deck. Remove nuts and bolts, slide chute forward while lifting the chute open.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
#25 goes thru a bracket on the deck. Remove nuts and bolts, slide chute forward while lifting the chute open.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Thank you so much, I will give it a try tomorrow.

Best,

L

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It just came to me. When I first got my new 2005 L108 with a 42" deck. I wanted to run the plastic mulch plug without the big plastic deflector. Figured this way I could trim with both sides of the deck. Problem was the top of the mulch plug fits in under the metal & plastic deflectors. Ended up taking a piece of thin wood (about 6"L X 2"W X 1/4" thick) and drilling 2 holes in it to match the holes in the steel mower deck. Then I removed the shaft and spring that attached the deflector to the mounting parts/bracket/bolts. After bolting this on the deck it gave the mulch plug something to hook under. If I remember correctly the smaller metal deflector was still used. The only thing gone was the big plastic one. This worked like a charm but didn't look the best.

Eventually I got tired of looking at it. So I put everything back to stock. Then I took a thin cut off wheel and cut the plastic deflector down to size. Think I cut it just beyond the warning sticker. Probably about 1/2 of it was removed. When looking at the tractor/deck it stuck out both sides about the same distance.
Sorry no pictures of it. Hope my description makes sense.

Note that that spring can be a PITA. If I remember correctly. lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It just came to me. When I first got my new 2005 L108 with a 42" deck. I wanted to run the plastic mulch plug without the big plastic deflector. Figured this way I could trim with both sides of the deck. Problem was the top of the mulch plug fits in under the metal & plastic deflectors. Ended up taking a piece of thin wood (about 6"L X 2"W X 1/4" thick) and drilling 2 holes in it to match the holes in the steel mower deck. Then I removed the shaft and spring that attached the deflector to the mounting parts/bracket/bolts. After bolting this on the deck it gave the mulch plug something to hook under. If I remember correctly the smaller metal deflector was still used. The only thing gone was the big plastic one. This worked like a charm but didn't look the best.

Eventually I got tired of looking at it. So I put everything back to stock. Then I took a thin cut off wheel and cut the plastic deflector down to size. Think I cut it just beyond the warning sticker. Probably about 1/2 of it was removed. When looking at the tractor/deck it stuck out both sides about the same distance.
Sorry no pictures of it. Hope my description makes sense.

Note that that spring can be a PITA. If I remember correctly. lol
Now that sounds like a great idea. Just cut off the excess but still have it look good. You used a cut off wheel on what a grinder? Were you able to keep the cut nice and straight?

Thank you again for a great idea.

Best,

L

·
Banned
634 Posts
Deflectors

I REALLY have a problem with people mowing with the deflector bungeed up .I have a neighbor with the same habit , after we or he fixed the garage door , things were good .

·
Premium Member
16,467 Posts
I REALLY have a problem with people mowing with the deflector bungeed up .I have a neighbor with the same habit , after we or he fixed the garage door , things were good .
Or worse, how many times have you driven by someone mowing close to the road with the deflector tied up while blowing the grass ON the road? I hold my breath every time waiting to hear a clunk against the side of the car.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Now that sounds like a great idea. Just cut off the excess but still have it look good. You used a cut off wheel on what a grinder? Were you able to keep the cut nice and straight?

Thank you again for a great idea.

Best,

L
I used an air powered die grinder but a electric or battery powered one should do the trick.
Just did the cut by eye. Didn't have a problem keeping it straight. You can also use a piece of masking tape to give you something to follow. You will get some melted plastic along the cut but they brake right off.

Did something similar in my X540 with a 54" deck. The deck deflector had a stupid tab that stuck out. Shaved it off the same way.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Or worse, how many times have you driven by someone mowing close to the road with the deflector tied up while blowing the grass ON the road? I hold my breath every time waiting to hear a clunk against the side of the car.
Should not be a problem in the mulch mode with the chute closed off, right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I used an air powered die grinder but a electric or battery powered one should do the trick.
Just did the cut by eye. Didn't have a problem keeping it straight. You can also use a piece of masking tape to give you something to follow. You will get some melted plastic along the cut but they brake right off.

Did something similar in my X540 with a 54" deck. The deck deflector had a stupid tab that stuck out. Shaved it off the same way.
Looks good. I am going shopping for a grinder.

Thank you,

L

1 - 20 of 31 Posts