Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think they are adequate on a 1026R for tilling up virgin soil? Or should I use a plow first? Using it to make food plots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
How virgin? My 5' disc will basically just roll over heavy sod. I always have to run through it with a 1-bottom plow I have to loosen it up initially. After that the disc will work okay as long as I put enough weight on it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I think if you just run over it with a disc it will still be "never turned or tilled". :lol:
That is just my opinion. Like I said, I can pull my disc behind my tractor over a grass field next to my garden, and it basically chews the grass up. It definitely doesn't prepare it for any type of planting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info Andy. I guess if I want to disc it, I should at least plow in first. For now, I will continue to use the rototiller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
379 Posts
I know there are probably better ways to do this....... Or at least different ways.

Here is what I did with some "virgin" ground.

I went over it multiple times with my home made cultivator combo tool at progressively deeper depths until I got the desired seed bed conditions I wanted.

I only have about 1/5 the money in this attachment as a plow, disk, drag, and etc.

Good luck
------------
Cultivator with gage wheels1.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts