Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 5200 and it does everything for me around here. Cheapest and most reliable hand money can buy for me. Anyway, after I burned down the sweet corn residue last week from the first couple rounds, I had to work it in. The tiller didn't really care for the amount of residue I put through and I didn't either. So my question is, what type of disk would be suitable to break up the residue and maybe loosen the top bit of soil prior to the tiller? Also would be handy to chop up pumpkin residue and the like to avoid tangling in the tines. Never really cared for three point ones but if that's what I need so be it. I know I don't have enough HP to do much with a disk. Can't get a bigger machine yet, even though the 5200 wouldn't ever leave.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have my 5200 and it does everything for me around here. Cheapest and most reliable hand money can buy for me. Anyway, after I burned down the sweet corn residue last week from the first couple rounds, I had to work it in. The tiller didn't really care for the amount of residue I put through and I didn't either. So my question is, what type of disk would be suitable to break up the residue and maybe loosen the top bit of soil prior to the tiller? Also would be handy to chop up pumpkin residue and the like to avoid tangling in the tines. Never really cared for three point ones but if that's what I need so be it. I know I don't have enough HP to do much with a disk. Can't get a bigger machine yet, even though the 5200 wouldn't ever leave.
A good disk is heavy. This is the weak aspect of a 3-pt disk. Take a look at this pull-type disk: https://www.rhinoag.com/products/landscape-construction/disc-harrows/pull-type-compact-disc-harrows/. They show one of the most valuable specfiications, "weight per blade".
You'll see that these pull-type disks have at least double (almost triple) the weight per blade of their 3-pt disks.

You would have plenty of horsepower for the 8' version.

Tim

·
Registered
593 Posts
Most of the time, I would brush hog the milo or corn stalks and then run the disc over it. Disk doesn't cut in that great the first time, but wait until it rains on it and then run the disk over it. The disk will cut in much better when there is good amount of moisture. If you need it covered up quickly, a plow will be the way to go. I see the 5200 is about 46hp and you should be able to pull a 8' disk with no problem and the notched blades will give you a better cut than the smooth blades will. I get along better with a pull type disk, rather than a 3pt hitch one. Time and rain are your friend when tilling under crop residue.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Mulch first

Most of the farmers around here use a stalk shredder or bat wing mower on corn fields before planting small grain. They mow as close to the ground as possible without scalping. Then if possible, they will wait for a rain or at least a bit of time to let the residue settle before planting.

I second the idea of weight for using a disk to cut residue. Notched blades on the front will help penetration. Covering residue will depend on whether the disk can get into the ground and how aggressively you set the angle on the gangs.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it's an old thread. I have an opportunity at an international disk at auction this week. It's ten feet wide. Everyone I've talked to says I should have enough power to do what I want,which is just one pass on unworked ground. Just curious as to what people on here think.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Looking at the specs I think you will pull it especially if yours is a 4x4. Certainly if your not running it deep to cut stalks.

Last year on our field corn which has more residue than sweet we ran the tiller over it at the minimum depth we could set it to, perhaps an 1”. It spun fast enough to work like a stalk chopper before I chisel plowed it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok. Mines only 2 wheel drive. I normally hit my sweet corn residue with a brush hog first. You can turn the fuel pump up on these? I've been wondering. We came to the conclusion that I'd probably have enough power, but I may have to add weight.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I know it's an old thread. I have an opportunity at an international disk at auction this week. It's ten feet wide. Everyone I've talked to says I should have enough power to do what I want,which is just one pass on unworked ground. Just curious as to what people on here think.
Is this an old 37 or 370 International Disk? If so, they were good disks.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Ok. Mines only 2 wheel drive. I normally hit my sweet corn residue with a brush hog first. You can turn the fuel pump up on these? I've been wondering. We came to the conclusion that I'd probably have enough power, but I may have to add weight.
It's the 2.9L - same engine mine has, only yours doesn't have a turbo to "clean" the exhaust up (the boost doesn't do much else for mine).

Stanadyne Roosa Master

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Oliver

It's the 2.9L - same engine mine has, only yours doesn't have a turbo to "clean" the exhaust up (the boost doesn't do much else for mine).

Stanadyne Roosa Master
I think the Oliver 1600 series used that pump or a similar Roosa Master as well. It sure looks familiar although that was a long time ago.

Treefarmer

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
Most of the time, I would brush hog the milo or corn stalks and then run the disc over it. Disk doesn't cut in that great the first time, but wait until it rains on it and then run the disk over it. The disk will cut in much better when there is good amount of moisture. If you need it covered up quickly, a plow will be the way to go. I see the 5200 is about 46hp and you should be able to pull a 8' disk with no problem and the notched blades will give you a better cut than the smooth blades will. I get along better with a pull type disk, rather than a 3pt hitch one. Time and rain are your friend when tilling under crop residue.
I'll apologize in advance for going sideways but I have to ask, your 2520 pulls that 5 shank chisel plow?

Reactions: 1010

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do mechanical/manual trip disks and field cultivator work? I can pick them up for about $600 less than ones with a cylinder for some reason. I've never seen one used.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Field cultivator

How do mechanical/manual trip disks and field cultivator work? I can pick them up for about $600 less than ones with a cylinder for some reason. I've never seen one used.
I'm not sure what a trip disk is but generally I've only seen a field cultivator used in ground that's already had primary tillage. Field disks come in all sizes but most can be used as either primary tillage or as a clod buster/leveling disk.

Treefarmer

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
I'm not sure what a trip disk is but generally I've only seen a field cultivator used in ground that's already had primary tillage. Field disks come in all sizes but most can be used as either primary tillage or as a clod buster/leveling disk.

Treefarmer
How many acres are you talking about TruckFarmer55??

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have 63 currently. Five to vegetable the rest to soybeans this year. I got the cultivator below working well. Previous owner had a 6x6 as a leveler I haven't taken it off. Might be better than nothing. But as you can see in the other picture, my newest field addition is being problematic. I need to find a disk but they've been being scooped up fast around here. Found two 10' Oliver 241s at two different dealers. And a 10' international in a fencerow but I can't get ahold of the guy. The cultivator did a nice job in the field I managed last year but the previous leasees of the new field tried to cut costs by not spraying herbicide. Didn't work for them. Chemical company wanted it disked then they come in with pre emergent to kill off whatever tried to come up. They'll warranty their work so I said ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The rest of the field looks better than this but the same idea applies. There are clumps of grass on top after I went through with the field cultivator. I was planning to just hit it again once they get cooked by the sun. But out of curiosity, and I know I've asked about 3 point disk before, but wouldn't a situation like this be where a heavier three point model like a land pride would shine? Because you can move fast and just slice up the grass residue without expending the power and fuel that a normal transport tandem disk would? Not saying I'm buying one but it just seems like it would work. I don't see much difference between what those do and a krause excelerator.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
The rest of the field looks better than this but the same idea applies. There are clumps of grass on top after I went through with the field cultivator. I was planning to just hit it again once they get cooked by the sun. But out of curiosity, and I know I've asked about 3 point disk before, but wouldn't a situation like this be where a heavier three point model like a land pride would shine? Because you can move fast and just slice up the grass residue without expending the power and fuel that a normal transport tandem disk would? Not saying I'm buying one but it just seems like it would work. I don't see much difference between what those do and a krause excelerator.
Yup, you definitely need discs, our chisel plow will do the same thing to a field if we don't disc it first to cut up the sod. Our chisels are an old set of 3 point 9 shank, I "cut" our potato field with my 66" Frontiers behind my 2025 and it chiseled great. I guess the point is disc first and then run your cultivators :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Herminator
1 - 20 of 20 Posts