1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Old Pa-pa
11,988 Posts
Looks nice, not expensive, wonder if there's a vid showing its' use.

TEST DEWALT 165 Feet Laser Distance Measurer DW03050 - YouTube

I kind of like the second unit, has a crap load of more features...........Just saying.

DEWALT DW03101 Laser Distance Measurer 330 Feet 330ft | eBay

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Needs to calculate volume. Suggestions?
The volume of "what"?? :dunno:

If it is for how much dirt is needed,, that is one thing,,

CONCRETE!! ??? That is more expensive,, and needs more accuracy,, an extra yard of concrete is expensive and hard to get rid of,,,

Gold,, ?? I might use a tape measure,,, :laugh:

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Did you notice the delivery time on the one you linked to? "Usually ships in 1 to 2 months "

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Sounds like you're planning to make some heat load calculations. :dunno:

I have a Dewalt DW030P (100' range) which is very suitable for the job. Push the button 3 times and you have your auto-calculated volume. I can put it in a box on Monday and you'll have it on Wednesday. You can return it when we get together for breakfast someday.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Hire a surveyor? Good advice CT!

Keith, I’m having trouble posting a link because Amazon keeps sending me to their app, remember, I’m just a low tech dirt measurer. But the one I bought was less than $50, but I see it is currently unavailable. I did see, when looking at your link, a Spectra Precision/Trimble model for $110. That is a good name is the surveying equipment world. BTW, my cheap one works great, I really only use it to measure the exteriors of buildings. Now if I could find one that measures in tenths and hundredths of a foot, I’d be all set

·
Premium Member
8,109 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The volume of "what"?? :dunno:
If it is for how much dirt is needed,, that is one thing,,
CONCRETE!! ??? That is more expensive,, and needs more accuracy,, an extra yard of concrete is expensive and hard to get rid of,,,
Gold,, ?? I might use a tape measure,,, :laugh:
I miss spoke, I want it to calculate Square Feet (area) not volume. :banghead:

Did you notice the delivery time on the one you linked to? "Usually ships in 1 to 2 months "
Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!
Yeah but Prime is free...................:lol: I missed that little detail :banghead:

The more more expensive units measure > 100ft. I don't need to measure over a 100ft. I want the unit for working around the property.

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
:dunno::nunu: ok spill it---what kind of a job u got cooking now:eating:it must be a highly classified job u got going on -giz:zip::lolol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:dunno::nunu: ok spill it---what kind of a job u got cooking now:eating:it must be a highly classified job u got going on -giz:zip::lolol:
No job/project I just want one. Where I worked had one that I borrowed from time to time.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Prime isn’t free.....
I consider Prime to be exactly the opposite,,
instead of a "cost" ,, Prime,, to me,, is putting money in the bank.

When I or my wife needs something (NOT "wants" something),,
if we can order that item on Prime, for the same price as a local brick and mortar charges,
we have just put the transportation cost into the bank as real cash.

I know we pay for Prime, but, in our case, the payback is a couple months,,
the rest of the year is free.

Beyond that, many of the items we "need" are shown as "available" on sites like walmart.com,,
but, when you get there,, OOPS, the computer is wrong, they do not have any,,,
THAT was a wasted trip!! :flag_of_truce:

I hate boondoggle trips,, and, that is what the internet gives you quite often with local stores that show inventory on-line,,
Tractor Supply, Sams Club, Walmart,,, on and on,,

Forget the locals, let Amazon send it to me,, for the same price,,
and,, I do not have to stop and buy gasoline that was wasted on that no-result trip,,,

·
Old Pa-pa
11,988 Posts
No job/project I just want one. Where I worked had one that I borrowed from time to time.
Well heck, it looks like you just want a new toy to play with, in that case get the DW03101. :thumbup1gif:

With all its' capabilities you'll be entertained for quite a while.

When Babycakes walks by doing her chores, you could say, "Want to know how far away that tree is? Want to know how tall it is?"
Just think at all the fun you'll have. :thumbup1gif:

What's :gizmo: when it comes to fun. :yahoo::yahoo::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
So, you don't have a secret project? You don't really have anything to measure. While most of us can pace 3 feet at a time. We have to presume that your pace, because of your height disadvantage, is causing an odd measurement that you have trouble doing the math for?:mocking:

2,4,6,8 doesn't seem that tough.:lol:

·
Registered
602 Posts
I consider Prime to be exactly the opposite,,
instead of a "cost" ,, Prime,, to me,, is putting money in the bank.

When I or my wife needs something (NOT "wants" something),,
if we can order that item on Prime, for the same price as a local brick and mortar charges,
we have just put the transportation cost into the bank as real cash.

I know we pay for Prime, but, in our case, the payback is a couple months,,
the rest of the year is free.

Beyond that, many of the items we "need" are shown as "available" on sites like walmart.com,,
but, when you get there,, OOPS, the computer is wrong, they do not have any,,,
THAT was a wasted trip!! :flag_of_truce:

I hate boondoggle trips,, and, that is what the internet gives you quite often with local stores that show inventory on-line,,
Tractor Supply, Sams Club, Walmart,,, on and on,,

Forget the locals, let Amazon send it to me,, for the same price,,
and,, I do not have to stop and buy gasoline that was wasted on that no-result trip,,,
I too hate boondoggle trips. I also hate buying something and having to return it as it wasn't quite what it was made out to be.

If I am getting something new to me I prefer to see it in person first, and maybe do a side by side comparison. I check online to see who might have it and then call that local branch to see what they have in stock. Sometimes their books are wrong too but if they have one in hand it is usually still there when I get there. They will also check the other local stores for me if they don't have one. And sometimes postage can be as much as a tank of gas for the outsize or heavy stuff. And if it doesn't work properly, local returns for exchange are often a lot faster.

If it is something I know I can often get a better price online, but maybe not as good once shipping is added. Something like Prime would make sense to me only if you use it a lot. I do buy things on line but try local first. To each their own.

To economize I try to do all my running in that direction in the one trip.

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts