Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant find the article, but this happened about 30 minutes from home. Older gentleman was bush hogging and his ROPS snagged a guide wire on a utility pole. Tractor reared up and tossed him out towards the back. He ended up going under the cutter and didnt make it. I cant quite envision how his tractor stood up far enough with a cutter attached to send him out the back unless something broke or it went more sideways than straight up, but that's the best they can figure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Complacency.
Being out there enjoying God's creation one moment, and looking him in the eyes the next.
I don't want to leave the party yet, but if I had to.....well, not that bad of a way to go.
The sad part is that those left behind obsess on the violent nature of the incident.

Friend of mine recently lost his battle with ALS. Given the choice, I will choose implement accident every time.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Sad, but thanks for sharing

Cant find the article, but this happened about 30 minutes from home. Older gentleman was bush hogging and his ROPS snagged a guide wire on a utility pole. Tractor reared up and tossed him out towards the back. He ended up going under the cutter and didnt make it. I cant quite envision how his tractor stood up far enough with a cutter attached to send him out the back unless something broke or it went more sideways than straight up, but that's the best they can figure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
It may have been a pull type cutter in which case there's little to stop the tractor. The driver could also have been snagged by the wire and taken off the tractor. A friend of mine was running a dozer and a grape vine was snagged on the blade. When it came loose it fortunately caught him around the chest and plucked all 200 lbs plus off the dozer. He was left sitting in the dirt watching the dozer head on down through the woods. If the vine had caught his neck, he wouldn't have been around to talk about it. Now of course, most dozers have additional framing on the ROPS just to prevent that.

This stuff happens quick, you have to think ahead and keep attention or it will bite you.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yea thats gotta suck. Guy wires are angled and maybe caught the rops in just the right way and tractor swung up and around to the side sending him on a carnival ride.

·
Premium Member
14,133 Posts
WOW Prayers for his family..that would be a tough way to go.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can see it happen, I caught a guy cable with a big zero turn a couple weeks ago. Wasn't even going very fast but it took me right off the ground before I got it stopped. I'm about 280 sitting on top of this huge commercial Toro and it rared the whole thing up like it was nothing. I was already back down on the ground before I even figured out what had happened. I've mowed the yard a thousand times, but not with that mower, my 495 doesn't have a rops to think about. Only even ran it a couple times so I was not all that familiar with it. I wasn't fearing for my life but I did have to stop and regroup for a few seconds. It took me off the ground far enough to get my FULL attention. Tough way to go, hopefully he didn't suffer, difficult enough for his family to endure his loss.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Terrible all around, best wishes for his family.

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts
I have one pole at the rear of the property that brings power in. It has two guy wires. Both were missing the yellow cover. I am guessing they got brittle from the sun and fell apart. Pieces were all over the ground.

I asked the Meter Reader about having them replaced. He said he woud make a note of it. Nothing ever happened. I finally drove to the local Power Company Maintainence yard. The place was all locked up. They had button to push for service. No response. As I was getting ready to leave an employe was going in. I asked him to get someone to the door. I told the person that came to the door I had a pole with two guy wires and no wire covers and I was worried kids on 4 wheelers would hit them. I gave him the tag number from the pole. SAME DAY a guy was out there putting yellow covers on the guy wires.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That right there is a very good reason to be at peace with The Lord, you may never have another chance to get right with Him. Any one of us could be called home any time and we want to be ready to meet Him. I consider it a warning for the rest of us........

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
When I mow my neighbors place, he has one electric pole with a guy wire and nothing on it for warning. I have come close to it a couple of times. I think it is time to have him report it.

Dave

·
Registered
610 Posts
How terrible. I was about 30 minutes into mowing with my brand new Z945M with the ROPS in the upright position, and mowing an area with a lot of live oak trees. The ROPS caught a low limb and I did a wheelie - scared the crap out of me. My previous ZTR didn’t have a ROPS other than my head. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
That's a real shame, I can easily see that happening though. The wires that don't have that sleeve (and even some that do) can be very deceptive when mowing around them. Prayers to his family.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Fawns

Wow that's terrible. I have imagined how I would feel if I hit a fawn, I can't imagine hitting a person. I'd really hate to be the guy who mowed over a sleeping guy on the side of the road.
I've hit several fawns over the years with the hay mowers. Sometimes it's just impossible to see them. It's really not a good feeling, especially if it's not an instant death.

I try to not take my dog with me when cutting hay because I'm afraid she will go out into the field. My uncle hit one of his bird dogs with a sickle mower but fortunately it only got part of one foot and he saved the dog.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
I've hit several fawns over the years with the hay mowers. Sometimes it's just impossible to see them. It's really not a good feeling, especially if it's not an instant death.

Treefarmer
I agree, a disc mower makes pretty quick work of a small fawn, but it is a pretty bad feeling.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Gotta think that he was sleeping "something" off.
Terrible for the operator.
Well, terrible for both I suppose.

The ever growing Homeless population seems to frequent the Interstate on ramps...panhandling and whatnot.

Several camps in the medians near the congested areas. Probly not the first time its happened.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts