Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the tractor put in the shed and left for work. I haven't even got 3 minutes on it and already have an offer for work. Guy at the mouth of the holler wants me to dig him a waterline ditch, it's a 3" drain line for gutters. I need to buy a smaller bucket than the 12" that came on it. I've seen BXpanded 6" trench bucket. It seems just a hair to small. Is there anybody else beside BXpanded that sells aftermarket buckets for the hoe??? Oh yeah my tractor is the 1025R with the factory loader and hoe.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The bxpanded 6" would work perfectly for that IMHO. I recently did this exact job for my neighbor plus a power line to his shed. I used the bxpanded bucket and it did a great job on the roots.

Sent from the field.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Just wondering if the 6" was enough. Our county water is going in now, and I was thinking later this summer I'll have lots of opportunities to make some side cash for more implements. The water line is only an inch line. Homeowner is responsible from the meter to the house. I really think this is where these little tractors will shine. In a yard or around the house. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
middle buster

Thanks! Just wondering if the 6" was enough. Our county water is going in now, and I was thinking later this summer I'll have lots of opportunities to make some side cash for more implements. The water line is only an inch line. Homeowner is responsible from the meter to the house. I really think this is where these little tractors will shine. In a yard or around the house. Thanks again!

A middle buster is faster for a quick trench. See the Heavy Hitch rig with 28" depth and a good potato plow to cut the trench. I used my box scraper with one scarifier tooth down as a trial for pvc sprinkler pipe. Beautiful job, but off center and not too straight a trench (my bad). This is great for gutter/downspout drains, sprinler pipes, electric conduit line trenches, etc.
Faster than a back hoe wth less lawn damage, too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A middle buster is faster for a quick trench. See the Heavy Hitch rig with 28" depth and a good potato plow to cut the trench. I used my box scraper with one scarifier tooth down as a trial for pvc sprinkler pipe. Beautiful job, but off center and not too straight a trench (my bad). This is great for gutter/downspout drains, sprinler pipes, electric conduit line trenches, etc.
Yeah good point after I rented a trencher for a small electric run to a pool the damage to the lawn was more extensive than I would assume necessary for direct bury cable so I bought a local sub soiler and ran some more electric and the beautiful thing about using a sub soiler the low damage to the lawn , you just drive over top of the cut and it pushed the cut back shut, no dirt work , no seeding , I am currently making a spool feed for the sub soiler to feed the wire in as I drive and I've seen others doing the same with water pipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JDforester

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Real world

Just remember that if you are using your tractor for commercial purposes, it really changes any insurance issues. If you hit a utility line, regular homeowner's insurance probably won't cover it. Same if you ding a building, car etc. That fast $100 for a job could cost you thousands in a hurry so if you are going to do side jobs, talk with your insurance agent first. That way you will at least know what the risk is before something happens. Then it's up to you on whether you want to take the risk.

I'll sometimes plow my neighbors drive when it snows but don't accept any money for it. Partly because I'm not doing it for the money but also because I don't want the commercial risk. Now, if they want to send a cake or plate of cookies over I'll gladly accept those but not cash. . .

Treefarmer

·
Registered
453 Posts
What Treefarmer said^^^! I'm fortunate enough to live between 2 good bakers and across the street from a winery. I "work" for comps frequently...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Only if you have nice easy soil to dig in. I used a Heavy Hitch one in Texas and it was not as productive as I had hoped due to the fact I believe that North Texas is just one giant piece of shale under about 3 inches of top soil:banghead::banghead::banghead:

It is a well made tool however and I believe would do just what you are suggesting in nice soft soil or if you have a bigger stronger tractor...My dirt projects however are never done in ideal conditions...:laugh:

Reactions: Ray_PA

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You will need to look up your state or county code for the proper depth of the water line. Our area for example requires a minimum of 32" depth due to frost line. This will make your decision as to what you need to bury a water line. Should you not bury the line deep enough and it freezes you will be back fixing the line or someone else will do it at your expense.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our frost line is around 18 inches. I'll have to use a bucket. The BXpanded looks like the way to go. I know I could dig the ditch with the standard bucket, but It would be twice the wear on the machine as the 6" bucket. Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts