Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week Boys & Girls, we're making Debris Forks for the loader bucket.
Got a smoking deal on 30 feet of rectangular steel tubing at the salvage yard, so that's what I'm using to build the forks.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nice! :bigbeer:

How are you going to attach the forks to the bucket?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Taper on forks ...up or down??

I could see advantages either way.......is it tomorrow yet:munch:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Me likey!! :munch:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How are the debris forks mounted, you ask? …
Here's a hint …
After cutting out a carboard pattern to trace around, I carved mounts out of 1/4" x 4" steel plate …

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,588 Posts
Those are very nice! Fork taper down I would think is best! You need to make me a set of those!:)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Very nice work. :bigthumb::munch:

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Looks great! But looks HEAVY too!:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: etcallhome and rtgt

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
They look lighter than mine and I’ve done some impressive stuff with mine

E7C7CF4A-12A5-4579-8759-BF5C02A3705B.jpeg

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nice job! I used basically the same idea, but stood the bars up vertically.
0312191830.jpg

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After reading about some of the issues people were having with "clamp on" style Debris Forks, like trash hanging up behind the clamp screw rods, and not sliding out, and problems with the clamps working loose, I chose not to go that route ...
Instead, I made brackets to bolt the forks to the side of the bucket, along with two "fingers" that clamp over the cutting edge near the center of the bucket …
Similar to how the Piranha Tooth Bars are attached to loader buckets.

G

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
Nice job! :good2:

Reactions: Gwizz and BigJim55

·
Registered
152 Posts
AWESOME !!!!

:bigthumb:

Reactions: Gwizz and BigJim55

·
Registered
449 Posts
I like Dr Kubar's "over the entire length of the cutting edge" mount. I worry with my own tooth bar about bending the bucket cutting edge when I dig or pry rocks with the middle, and something like that would add rigidity to that whole system... especially with the leverage from such long pointy teeth.
Maybe that bucket is a lot harder to bend than it looks...but it is just a materials bucket.

Damn....Now you guys got me wanting to build yet another something I didn't know I needed yet!!!

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
:bigthumb: looks great--now we need action shots of it working:laugh:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:bigthumb: looks great--now we need action shots of it working:laugh:
You got it ... :bigthumb:
(first thing tomorrow morning) ...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tested the debris forks for any weak points that might need to be addressed for about four hours, scoping up and moving heavy sod …
I'm happy to report I found NO problems, and nothing needed to be changed or tweeked.
While using the forks, I discovered that with the tines spaced as close together as they were, the forks did a decent job as a rake by going in reverse. I could rake up loose sod and debris into a pile then slip under it and scoop it up.
Sure beat using a hand rake and shovel … :good2:

G

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,330 Posts
You need to be VERY careful backdragging with the bucket turned down like that, especially with the extra leverage of the rake on there. Many cylinder was bent or broken that way!!! I think there is even a warning in the manual about it?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[QUOTEs=Kennyd;3340230]You need to be VERY careful backdragging with the bucket turned down like that, especially with the extra leverage of the rake on there. Many cylinder was bent or broken that way!!! I think there is even a warning in the manual about it?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reminder, Ken. Although I had the loader in ‘float’ position while doing this, and was watching carefully, you are right, things like that can happen ... :banghead:
Guess I wasn’t showing a very good example there ...:hide:

G

1 - 20 of 24 Posts