Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't about to pay for the JD weights, so I cobbled this together. Yes, I know I'm a terrible welder. Features - quick add/removal of weights, doesn't block the headlights, and weights off you can use the loader.

Giant piece of angle iron (about 3/8") and 2 feet of 1" tube: $50 from my local scrap heap, and about 50lb
4x deck blocks, about $8 each, and 200lb altogether.
4x 1/2" bolts n nuts

Drilling took forever but wasn't hard with the drill press. I lined up the holes using a stencil for accuracy - still had to file 2 of them a bit.
Welding the tubes on, I mostly eyeballed it. Tack weld, test fit a block, pull it off carefully, finish weld, repeat.

The tip of the mount just clears the loader arms (but would hit the blocks). So blocks off and you can use the loader. Taking loader off, the stand folds down and away, so no problem there.

Works great, I have much better turning traction with my (definitely heavy) snow blower on, no more wheelies :)

Tire Wheel Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those welds Flux core or stick? I agree with Herminator- If it doesn't break, it's a good weld.
flux core on a tiny little ProPoint TIG welder. My first welds! They tubes dont take much abuse, just the blocks shifting occasionally, so I think the welds will be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
great idea!

If I had a concern it would be that vibration could crack or break a concrete block and cause it to fall off... I dont think there is any reinforcement in those. Wrap them with duct/gorilla tape and should keep that from happening.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice job Six Day...
Our news saying you are getting, have got a blizzard.. ??
Well we got a foot of snow a week ago, and it caught me off guard :-( Had to farm jack the blower out of the snow bank, then blowtorch the PTO to get the 'nubs' to thaw and engage the spline!
Finally with the blower on the 3ph, I couldn't get up the hill (even in 4wd), just sliding around in the deep snow. So I had to walk my butt (four times) through the snow to get the cinder blocks for my front weight.
At last, properly ballasted, the 1025R snowblowed its way back up the hill to the driveway, and I got to it 💪
I'm sure more weather is on the way - it is Edmonton after all! I'm so north that I get Northern Lights
Cloud Sky Atmosphere Natural landscape Tree

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
Front weight makes a big difference in snow. I hang 5 suitcase weights on the front bumper. It makes a significant difference with the tractor not getting pushed around by the angled blade and makes the 4wd more effective.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Front weight makes a big difference in snow. I hang 5 suitcase weights on the front bumper. It makes a significant difference with the tractor not getting pushed around by the angled blade and makes the 4wd more effective.
SCUTs sure are interesting, eh? Normal 'tractor' users don't consider getting pushed around by the workpiece, they're so bloody heavy. But these.... well. Mighty, yes. but heavy? no, not at all! Traction is like the #1 thing they struggle with, in my experience.

in my case, my 3ph Allied 6010 blower is just a little too heavy for the tractor: it lifts it no problem, but the front is practically floating - doing a wheelie is as easy as stepping on it in High gear.
last year I'd spend 60% of my time snow blowing, and 40% of my time just trying to turn, because the front would simply skate across everything! Especially at laneway end on the hard ice-road, very embarassing!

This front ballast has fixed all that, can't wheelie anymore, and the front grips for turning and for clawing through deep stuff.
I just wasn't willing to pay the JD price... you gotta admit, those weights are expensive for what they are.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
My setup exactly.

Reactions: SixHourDays

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Looks good. Nice job. Love the block look.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
To finish the look painting the blocks JD Green would be awesome.

I love the idea, simple and you can add or remove blocks as required.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Form truly does follow function!

Reactions: SixHourDays

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
I just wasn't willing to pay the JD price... you gotta admit, those weights are expensive for what they are.
Yes suitcase weights are one of the most painful things to purchase. Pure dead weight that does absolutely nothing but be dead weight. And for the low price of $50-$60 for the 40lb weights. And buying them used only saves a few dollars since it's not like they depreciate or wear out. The dead weight is the same today as was when new 20 years ago.

I bought my 8 weights used at $40/ea and wanted to cry. They live most of the year on the rear heavy hitch, and do extra duty on the front in the winter. So functionally worthwhile. Just painful to buy something so incredibly simple for so much money.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wasn't about to pay for the JD weights, so I cobbled this together. Yes, I know I'm a terrible welder. Features - quick add/removal of weights, doesn't block the headlights, and weights off you can use the loader.

Giant piece of angle iron (about 3/8") and 2 feet of 1" tube: $50 from my local scrap heap, and about 50lb
4x deck blocks, about $8 each, and 200lb altogether.
4x 1/2" bolts n nuts

Drilling took forever but wasn't hard with the drill press. I lined up the holes using a stencil for accuracy - still had to file 2 of them a bit.
Welding the tubes on, I mostly eyeballed it. Tack weld, test fit a block, pull it off carefully, finish weld, repeat.

The tip of the mount just clears the loader arms (but would hit the blocks). So blocks off and you can use the loader. Taking loader off, the stand folds down and away, so no problem there.

Works great, I have much better turning traction with my (definitely heavy) snow blower on, no more wheelies :)

View attachment 814115

View attachment 814116
Good idea , looks good too

·
Registered
16 Posts
great idea!

If I had a concern it would be that vibration could crack or break a concrete block and cause it to fall off... I dont think there is any reinforcement in those. Wrap them with duct/gorilla tape and should keep that from happening.
..... Your right, they will split vibrating around, some of them are concrete and some are lightweight now with fiberglass but neither are reinforced.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.