Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting my thought process about ideas for a DIY bagging system for my 1023e 60" deck.

Couple of questions to others that own a 1023e. Since I only have had mine for one grass/leaf season.
Is the set up for the deck/ and engine strong enough to launch dry/wet grass/leaves up and out to the rear of the tractor into a follow behind cart without a separate motor? If the shot to the cart is a smooth and no 90 degree angles?
What is the smooth walled flex hose diameter size suggestion?

Like I said this is just a thought right now, as I live in Maine and all we are moving right now is snow.:tongue:

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
I don’t know of any mower deck that can do that - even commercial mowers.
My guess would be probably not, but my old 42" Craftsman mower had a bagger and the force of the side discharge was the only thing forcing the clippings into the bagger, so it is possible maybe.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking the force of the discharge is enough if there is not allot of bends in the pipe.

And when I saw wet that is just a rare instants, if I were to go over leaves that may have a layer under a tad wet. I wouldn't purposely collect leaves or grass knowing it would be heavier.
The bulk of the time would be leaves and while they were dry.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I would say no. You are going to need some form of "assist". Every system I have seen uses this when directing it into a hopper/bags/trailer for a reason. Some are a separate motor. Others are a slave system that takes power from an additional pulley added to the right spindle like the PowerFlow heads or a rear PTO driven unit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see some on YouTube that works pretty good. I know I am not going to get all but the majority would be awesome!
I also know that some of these tractors/lawnmowers are considerably smaller than the 1023e. Trying to wrap my head around the fact...why wont it work.

·
Registered
21,983 Posts
I see some on YouTube that works pretty good. I know I am not going to get all but the majority would be awesome!
I also know that some of these tractors/lawnmowers are considerably smaller than the 1023e. Trying to wrap my head around the fact...why wont it work.
There is only enough force to shove the stuff out from under the deck horizontally. There is not near enough force to lift any debris and carry it up through a pipe and around a couple bends.

Plus add to the fact that you would need some kind of vent in the collection system for the air to flow out of it. Bagging systems are either made of mesh or have a vent in them to let the forced air out. Other wise you will just build pressure in the vessel and not have any flow.

You need some type of external lift.

·
Registered
716 Posts
You are also dealing with a machine that cuts a lot faster than a 42" Murray. I have a cyclone rake with fairly impressive suction (6 HP motor) and I can still clog the 7" tube between the mower deck and the vacuum. You would think with that much suction, it would always keep the chute clear but when you are moving that much material, often damp or wet at the bottom of piles, it is easy to get ahead of the flow.

I am not downplaying the DIY aspect. I would consider looking for a donor vacuum and then build from there. In a perfect world, you could use a PTO driven vacuum. That said, on my 2305, the mower and drive are a significant load. I think the tractor may be under-powered to drive a vacuum, the mower and the tractor. Like anything else, it would work but could slow down the whole operation.

Lee

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Look at it this way. Take two garden hoses. One hooked up to the house. The other just sitting there disconnected. Turn the hose on and hold the end of the hose about 6" away from the end of the other hose. Will water flow through the hose and out the other end. Yeah probably. You will get some but you are going to be making a mess in the process....

You are trying to push the clippings and such up hill. It is going to clog a lot. Heck I have seen systems with a pony engine and 6" hoses plug up. I would go 10" minimum.

I shouldn't say I have never seen a collection system without a drive of some sort. They do make those baskets that hang off the side of the mower deck but with a big deck you are going to be dumping it every 20'.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
If it were me and I was determined to build something. Rather than go this route I would look into a blocking plate for the side discharge and a good set of mulching blades. It won't be as good as a full mulching kit which creates a chamber for each spindle but would likely work better than a collection system that you are trying to build unless it also incorporates a driven impeller of some sort.

I have thought of making something like the Power-chute for my Z950R.

Power Chute Design

He is powering it by a power window motor which is about $20-30. There are also a lot of them out there that are manual where you move a lever.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You are also dealing with a machine that cuts a lot faster than a 42" Murray. I have a cyclone rake with fairly impressive suction (6 HP motor) and I can still clog the 7" tube between the mower deck and the vacuum.
This! I have had a cyclone rake for almost 20 years. Probably the single smartest yard care purchase I have ever made. They REALLY suck... literally. But still get clogged up when the grass is thick. I cannot imagine a system that would bag clippings without some sort of assist. But I LOVE the DIY aspect of figuring something out.

I am in the process this week of moving completely away from my GT 235 and cyclone rake. For no other reason than I don’t need/want two mowing setups. I purchased a 1025r going on two years ago.

I am adding the MCS 20 to my 1025r. It hitches to the Quick Hitch (so no more trailer) and uses the power flow head to push the clippings to the hopper.

I will be installing it this week. I will post some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
This! I have had a cyclone rake for almost 20 years. Probably the single smartest yard care purchase I have ever made. They REALLY suck... literally. But still get clogged up when the grass is thick. I cannot imagine a system that would bag clippings without some sort of assist. But I LOVE the DIY aspect of figuring something out.

I am in the process this week of moving completely away from my GT 235 and cyclone rake. For no other reason than I don’t need/want two mowing setups. I purchased a 1025r going on two years ago.

I am adding the MCS 20 to my 1025r. It hitches to the Quick Hitch (so no more trailer) and uses the power flow head to push the clippings to the hopper.

I will be installing it this week. I will post some pics.

Had they offered the MCS20 two years ago I probably would have gone that route on a 1025R and traded in my X585. As it was the only thing they had for the 1025R was the 3 bag collection which I didn't want. I dump in my compost pile and that is way too much work. So I went with the Z950R and MCS. It is pretty fast. The biggest gripe I have with the PowerFlow heads on the XSeries like my X585 and they appear to use the same design on the 1025R is that housing is plastic. I have been through several housings over the years. They are not cheap to replace and not an easy task. The Z950R uses a steel housing for the impeller so it should last a lot longer. The only thing plastic is a small deflector on the bottom but I can fabricate up something out of steel when it wears out. Or they are about $60 and a lot easier to replace.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Agree on packaging implements when purchasing a new tractor. The single biggest mistake I made when I bought my 1025r is not buying more implements on the 0% financing.

Yes I agree. There are aftermarket options but being able to roll a JD MCS into 0% is what I wanted. They just didn't have anything I wanted in the 1025R at the time. I did really think about that system with a rear PTO driven impeller. Not JD so it would have been cash out of pocket but that is slick from what I have seen. While the X7xx was an option, the lack of a FEL was a deal killer. I could have kept the X585 for FEL work like I do now but I wouldn't gain much so I went ZTrak for the better PowerFlow head and faster cutting speed. Shaved about an hour from my seat time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
What are you looking to do.This is with using the PF.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you TJR345, I like that set up and checked it out before I posted this thread. Nice work!
To clone your idea I would need a powered chute. Wondering if they made one for the 1023e?

Mulching idea is good but trying to clean up the yard not leave a debris field. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Thank you TJR345, I like that set up and checked it out before I posted this thread. Nice work!
To clone your idea I would need a powered chute. Wondering if they made one for the 1023e?

Mulching idea is good but trying to clean up the yard not leave a debris field. :laugh:
Yeah I understand wanting to pick up. That is what I do.

I am sure they make one for the 1023E. It is more a point of finding one for your deck not necessarily the machine. You will also need the installation kit which will be some brackets for the mower deck so the Powerflow head has something to connect to as well as the spacers and pulley that gets stacked on top of the right spindle. Odds are your deck is used on more than just the 1023E. You could swing by the dealer and they should be able to look what model powerflow heads will fit and start shopping craigslist and other places.

If you had that then you could fab something together where it is either a trailer or cart depending on what you wanted.

I mainly mentioned the mulch option because it would be easier for a 100% DIY project. Some people out there have the equipment to build their own impeller and housing but I would assume the vast majority of people don't. That is really going to be the most difficult part. If you bought that part (powerflow or pony engine) then the rest is easy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just started looking on CL. There is a lot for sale but for smaller 54" decks.
I will have to wait a bit to look at my deck to see if it equipped to except a power flow. It is still buried under a foot of snow. Don't worry it is cleaned and wrapped nicely on it's own pallet....I know your not worried just incase others are reading this and wondering. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
21,983 Posts

I am new to mulching. To be clear I have never touched leaves in my life -have lived here for 20 years with 3 acres of mowed lawn.

I have a ton of red oak trees. About a month ago when the snow melted all the leaves were still there - usually they somehow disappeared over winter. So I had an area of about 1 acre that was 3-4 layers deep of big red oak leaves.

Decided to buy a mulch kit for my deck - I have no experience with them at all. Installed it and proceeded to run over the leaves which were good and dry. 2 passes over the thick layer of leaves and they were gone - not a trace. I just couldn’t believe my eyes. If you look very closely you will see tiny bits of leaves on the ground but from 10’ away you don’t even see them.

Totally gone - disappeared.

So don’t discount a mulch kit too quickly. They work. They are specific to each mower deck. Mine is comprised of 2 baffles and a set of 3 muchling blades. It took no more than 5 minutes to install. I am planning on leaving it on the deck all the time to mulch the grass plus will be mulching the leaves as they fall this year.

Not my pic or deck - just for an example of the mulching kit installed.

3E0712C3-7566-4C33-BCBC-8A524F4A67D5.jpeg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am new to mulching. To be clear I have never touched leaves in my life -have lived here for 20 years with 3 acres of mowed lawn.

I have a ton of red oak trees. About a month ago when the snow melted all the leaves were still there - usually they somehow disappeared over winter. So I had an area of about 1 acre that was 3-4 layers deep of big red oak leaves.

Decided to buy a mulch kit for my deck - I have no experience with them at all. Installed it and proceeded to run over the leaves which were good and dry. 2 passes over the thick layer of leaves and they were gone - not a trace. I just couldn’t believe my eyes. If you look very closely you will see tiny bits of leaves on the ground but from 10’ away you don’t even see them.

Totally gone - disappeared.

So don’t discount a mulch kit too quickly. They work. They are specific to each mower deck. Mine is comprised of 2 baffles and a set of 3 muchling blades. It took no more than 5 minutes to install. I am planning on leaving it on the deck all the time to mulch the grass plus will be mulching the leaves as they fall this year.

Not my pic or deck - just for an example of the mulching kit installed.

View attachment 585457
I didn't mean to step on the toes of the mulchers. :bigbeer:
I will have to revisit this option as well.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts