Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lightly-used 1025R I purchased last summer came with an unexpected “bonus”...the rear tires are filled with ballast. I’d rather use wheel weights so I’m looking for a DIY way to drain the fluid & refil with air.

I was thinking about cobbling together some tubing and valves that would alternately let me drain fluid & fill with air until all the fluid was pushed out.

My plan would be to start with the valve stem at the top of the rim, remove weight from the tire & remove the core & attach the tubing. Then, rotate the tire so the valve stem is at the bottom and use the valve in the tubing to alternately push in some air, then drain out the fluid.

Not sure it I would get it all this way but seems like “a way” to do it without removing the tire or risk breaking the bead & having to reset it. Any thoughts from those that have done this before?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The lightly-used 1025R I purchased last summer came with an unexpected “bonus”...the rear tires are filled with ballast. I’d rather use wheel weights so I’m looking for a DIY way to drain the fluid & refil with air.

I was thinking about cobbling together some tubing and valves that would alternately let me drain fluid & fill with air until all the fluid was pushed out.

My plan would be to start with the valve stem at the top of the rim, remove weight from the tire & remove the core & attach the tubing. Then, rotate the tire so the valve stem is at the bottom and use the valve in the tubing to alternately push in some air, then drain out the fluid.

Not sure it I would get it all this way but seems like “a way” to do it without removing the tire or risk breaking the bead & having to reset it. Any thoughts from those that have done this before?

one way to push the fluid of of the tire is to jack up the tire your working on off the ground....rotate to top like you mention pull valve stem core ...let air out...friction fit some tubing over the outside of valve stem....rotate to bottom...slowly let the jack down to crush the tire presurizing the tire to force the fluid out as the tire flattens....then do it all over again....till you get it down to the lower valve stem level....

that is one of several ways...thats the easiest with the least special equipment in my opinion.......sux to get last few gal out though

there is a correct valve stem tool to do the job just google it

·
Premium Member
10,569 Posts
How to get it out is only half of the question.

What is in it to begin with? Calcium Chloride, Rim Guard, Windshield washer fluid, ....

What are you going to do with it when you have it out?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What came out when I pressed on the valve was red, so I’m assuming it’s either Rim Guard or beet juice. I was planning on putting it into containers temporarily. I live around lots of farms, so I’m sure one of my neighbors can use it or knows someone who can.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
What came out when I pressed on the valve was red, so I’m assuming it’s either Rim Guard or beet juice. I was planning on putting it into containers temporarily. I live around lots of farms, so I’m sure one of my neighbors can use it or knows someone who can.

yes its expensive ......i would just give it to a neighbor or put it up on craigs list and sell it ....im pretty sure you can just dump the red stuff but dont quote me on that...i think that is the point if you spring a leak it wont mess up your field etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not just put up a Craigslist ad looking for a straight-trade locally with someone that doesn't have filled tires?
That’s not a bad idea. I guess I could also call the used dealer I purchased it from and see if they would do a straight-up trade for a pair of tires. They seem to have an endless supply of 1025Rs this time of the year via auctions.

·
Registered
23,586 Posts
I was thinking of temporarily removing the washer fluid from my rear tires to see how it does mowing. My 2520 has now become mostly a mowing machine.

I would like to capture the fluid so I can put it back in if I wanted.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a similar issue though slightly different. I just had a new set of all four HDAP tires loaded with rimgaurd by a local dealer. They clearly filled the tires above the valve stem at the 12 o'clock position as doing anything with the valve creates a mess with pressurized beet juice. The fronts seem to be over filled or over inflated (likely both) as they are rock hard. I just ordered a air/liquid tire gauge to confirm.

How does one bleed these down without huge mess? I'm assuming that I need to jack up the tractor, rotate the valve stem to 12 o'clock, remove the valve core, and let it fly. Is this the best way to do this?

Tractor is a 1026R.

Roger J.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
I’m curious why you don’t want the liquid fill? I have both liquid fill and external weights in my 1026R.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts