Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a project today making chains for my 2440. The tires are 18.4x30 and pretty worn so chain should help out with the snow/ice. I sketched this out so that I'd have 16 x-overs or one about every 22.5% (ended up cutting one out to get the fit right).

I used 1/4" bulk chain from Harbor Freight - it $29.99 for 35 ft. Since there is no big loading in tension, I think this will work OK. (we'll see). These won't ever see concrete or asphalt so wear shouldn't be a factor.

At the joints, I cut the links, twisted enough to un-couple, and re-connected. I have re-straightened the links in test fitting and will weld after final fitting.

Looks good (to me) so far. We'll see after some use.

IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0243.JPG IMG_0241.JPG

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all.

Yeah, I don't have a feel for wear/durability on these. I only plan on running them from maybe October to March and this winter it has been all snow work - usually we don't have snow on the ground this long. And I'm out working the arena and working the horses (horses have developed attitudes with all the down time). But these are relatively inexpensive (I'll have $140 into them vs. $450 for off-the-shelf chains) and easy to repair.

There is some sweat equity into these, but hey, if you don't use your tools- you might as well not have them.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim Timber, you've put a lot more effort into your chains than I did. Nice work.:bigthumb: I'll bet they'll do more for your traction than my simple ladder style. Yeah, you may want to protect them.

I regarded the chain as more of a sacrificial material that would wear and be replaced down the road....way down the road.

If you're like me, you got a good workout wrestling that chain around to layout, cut, and weld.

I got both chains welded and on the tractor today. Will have to do some fitting on one tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Thanks!

These are taking me longer to finish than they should because of my knee injections slowing me down the last week and a half. I'll have the second one banged out in short order now that I have my head around how they're built. The way I've made this one is slow and difficult. when I make the other side, I'll assemble the two edge chains with the side straps and the retaining chains, and then it'll be quick work to weld the two center chains into the web.

I just noticed that pic has some unfinished welds on the web too. I've got those filled in, and MIG'd the back side as well. I've got one more retention chain to go and the first one is done. Shop's warming up as I write this. :) Only 36 more welds... :laugh:

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are nice looking welds. I'm using a wire feed Lincoln unit and it does OK, but not TIG quality. I'm using 24" bolt cutters to cut chain - how are you cutting yours?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yikes, is right! You get the 'Sweat Equity' award!:bigbeer:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
That's just it, with the cut-off disks there's no effort at all. :laugh: Thumb the power switch, zip, thumb off, and done. Bolt cutter might be faster, but I'm not going to find out. :lolol: I don't own one. I have a cordless angle grinder though. :)

One side strap assembly left and the chains are done. I got a lot accomplished this morning.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,674 Posts
Rope Chucker,

Looks real good! Now I have a summer project! Not enough time this winter.

Where in CO are you?

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rope Chucker,

Looks real good! Now I have a summer project! Not enough time this winter.

Where in CO are you?
North of Denver ~25 miles. I made the chains in two days (part time days).

I finished them up this morning and tried them out - most of the snow I plowed before the chains, but I could tell an improvement in traction.

IMG_0249.JPG IMG_0250(1).JPG IMG_0251.JPG

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
North of Denver ~25 miles. I made the chains in two days (part time days).

I finished them up this morning and tried them out - most of the snow I plowed before the chains, but I could tell an improvement in traction.

View attachment 126545 View attachment 126553 View attachment 126561
rope chucker; well I think u done a really good job, for what it's worth. my dad who would be 83 if he was still kicking, loved to make chains for his stuff back when I was a kid. all done with a cold chisel and his vise-yelp nothing fancy for him in his time. but what he did was go and buy regular cross link chain. he made for our old jd b we had then. he made for our log truck, and he proudly hung them on each side of the frame when not in use. back then I guess u could buy the cross link chain pretty easily all over the place, not like to day. anyway good luck with them, and nice pics too. big jim

·
Registered
348 Posts
Plenty of time before those chains ware out...
Use the time to search the internet.... There are a number of chains providers...
They also have parts.. You may be able to find a usable length pre cut, or bulk length of hardened cross chains.
Replace as needed...

In 5 winters of use my set of 2 link ladder chains I use on turfs show use, but virtually no ware..
When the time comes I plan on replacing the cross links that need replaced with V bar cross links..
At a rate of every 3rd spacing or as needed..
Good luck..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts