Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first ever tractor (yay!). It’s a 2006 3320. I was working on setting up a new quick hitch under the work lights without the engine running. About a half hour later I went to start the tractor and the battery is dead. I know halogen lights use more power than LED but is this normal? I feel light it should be able to run them longer than a half hour before the battery runs out of juice. We’re just heading into a montana winter and I’m not sure how old the battery is. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
odds are its done.....Its on its second or third I'm guessing.

If its low on water its most likely toast.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I replaced the battery on my 4066R with an AGM battery. Much better suited to the rough usage of a tractor. Completely sealed. No terminal corrosion, etc. Priced a little higher, but will last longer, plus will not lose charge as quick as a regular battery. My original JD battery only lasted 2 1/2 years and I am already 3 1/2 years into the AGM battery. As best I remember it took a group 34 battery.

Dave

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
The battery might have a pop out label which shows when it was placed in service. Before replacing the battery, I'd clean the terminals, check the water, charge it and replace in the tractor. Check the voltage before cranking. If you have a partner, check the voltage while cranking and see the drop. Then check again when the engine is running.

After charging it should be somewhere between 12.4 and 12.8 volts. Expect several volt drop while cranking but I would guess not below 9 V. Running voltage should be above 13 and possibly as high as 14. If it's not above 13 when running you may have a charging issue.

Don't overlook the impact of dirty terminals. It not only affects the ability to crank but can prevent the charging system from fully charging the battery. Frequently older equipment has replacement, clamp on terminals where the wire goes into a clamp. Those can look fine but if you loosen the wire clamp, the wire is all corroded and doesn't make a good electrical connection with the terminal. An of course, the battery to terminal connections should be clean as well. Also check the ground connection to the frame. Corrosion there is just as bad as corrosion on the hot side.

You might need a battery but even if you do, having all the connections clean will help the new battery as well.

Treefarmer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts