Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's the core question, but let me explain further. Manual says to do it, but I looked at my machine and I can't figure out why I need to unless I can't get to them. I have smaller hands and there's more than enough room in there for a small ratchet. There are two bolts holding on a small washer type thing that dictates how far the wheels turn. Basically supposed to just remove it and flip it around.

First-time tractor owner, so I wanted to just run this past folks. I'm fairly mechanically capable, and I can't see anything that would require the wheels to be removed (e.g., pressure on those bolts from weight of tractor). But like I said, I'm a noob, so wanted to check.

Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you can install them without pulling the wheel, there is no reason to pull it. I think the key is with those 4 wheel steers is to make sure you don't run into interference at both ends of the steering locks when you are done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's the core question, but let me explain further. Manual says to do it, but I looked at my machine and I can't figure out why I need to unless I can't get to them. I have smaller hands and there's more than enough room in there for a small ratchet. There are two bolts holding on a small washer type thing that dictates how far the wheels turn. Basically supposed to just remove it and flip it around.

First-time tractor owner, so I wanted to just run this past folks. I'm fairly mechanically capable, and I can't see anything that would require the wheels to be removed (e.g., pressure on those bolts from weight of tractor). But like I said, I'm a noob, so wanted to check.

Thanks!
no , I have a 584 and installed this winter, so assume the same for you, do inside then outside latch and add shock cords or sprints to keep snug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can install them without pulling the wheel, there is no reason to pull it. I think the key is with those 4 wheel steers is to make sure you don't run into interference at both ends of the steering locks when you are done.
Thanks! I appreciate the opinion. Trying to make the chains-to-no-chains transition easy. New yard, new tractor, and a lot of work to do. I don't want to run the chains on the grassy areas or across the driveway until I know they won't mar (not optimistic). But our lower yard is 99% native and unfinished so doesn't matter what I do to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no , I have a 584 and installed this winter, so assume the same for you, do inside then outside latch and add shock cords or sprints to keep snug
What did you do with the shock cords (if easy to send a pic)? Having a hard time picturing it. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts