Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's the core question, but let me explain further. Manual says to do it, but I looked at my machine and I can't figure out why I need to unless I can't get to them. I have smaller hands and there's more than enough room in there for a small ratchet. There are two bolts holding on a small washer type thing that dictates how far the wheels turn. Basically supposed to just remove it and flip it around.

First-time tractor owner, so I wanted to just run this past folks. I'm fairly mechanically capable, and I can't see anything that would require the wheels to be removed (e.g., pressure on those bolts from weight of tractor). But like I said, I'm a noob, so wanted to check.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's the core question, but let me explain further. Manual says to do it, but I looked at my machine and I can't figure out why I need to unless I can't get to them. I have smaller hands and there's more than enough room in there for a small ratchet. There are two bolts holding on a small washer type thing that dictates how far the wheels turn. Basically supposed to just remove it and flip it around.

First-time tractor owner, so I wanted to just run this past folks. I'm fairly mechanically capable, and I can't see anything that would require the wheels to be removed (e.g., pressure on those bolts from weight of tractor). But like I said, I'm a noob, so wanted to check.

Thanks!
no , I have a 584 and installed this winter, so assume the same for you, do inside then outside latch and add shock cords or sprints to keep snug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can install them without pulling the wheel, there is no reason to pull it. I think the key is with those 4 wheel steers is to make sure you don't run into interference at both ends of the steering locks when you are done.
Thanks! I appreciate the opinion. Trying to make the chains-to-no-chains transition easy. New yard, new tractor, and a lot of work to do. I don't want to run the chains on the grassy areas or across the driveway until I know they won't mar (not optimistic). But our lower yard is 99% native and unfinished so doesn't matter what I do to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.