Green Tractor Talk banner

Do I hurt my 1025R by not using low range when mowing up steep hills?

5302 Views 41 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Cmpeter1
Just got my 1025R a few weeks ago and so far use it mostly for mowing (I have the 60D). Some of the areas I mow are pretty steep and I'm somewhat disappointed that the tractor isn't able to climb those sections of the yard without me putting it in low range. I have plenty of traction and don't need to go in 4x4 mode, and it will go if I push the forward pedal really hard, but I feel like I'm going the bend the "spoons", if you know what I mean.

So to those that mow up steep hills, are you switching to low range and then back to high range once you get to flatter land again? It is a bit of a pain to having to constantly switch back and fourth...
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
In and of itself, using high range doesn't hurt anything. That said, if you are creating enough pressure to activate the pressure relief valve, then you are heating up your hydro fluid. At 180 degrees, you'll start to damage components, but before you get to that temp, you'll probably notice that the tractor is slowing down for the same pedal amount due to foaming or aeration.

I would say that you'll "know" if the pressure relief valve is bleeding off fluid. It will make a different sound and you'll get the feeling that the transmission is "slipping". If you don't hear a sound or get that slipping feeling, I would keep on truckin' in high range.

According to the research I have done on hydraulics, miss-adjusted pressure relief valves are one of the main reasons for overheating hydraulic systems. This is more applicable in industrial applications that have higher working pressures and not mobile applications, but the principle still applies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.