Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I raise my backhoe or swing the backhoe from side to side the hydraulics slam so hard it is almost impossible to move the boom smoothly. When I use the other levers - boom extension/bucket or outriggers the hydraulics work smoothly. But when I use the lever to raise the backhoe boom or move it side to side it hits so hard you lose have the load in the bucket. If I am really careful and ease the control lever I can usually avoid the violent slamming but it really slows down the project. It only seems to be a problem on the one control. The boom, the grapple, mower and other backhoe controls seem to work smoothly.

The oil level is correct, filter is new so I think everything else checks out.

Any ideas? As is, the backhoe works but is very unpleasant and hard to operate.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
What machine are we working on?

You can add an inline resrictor to the circuit you're having issues with, that will slow it down.

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
How many hours do you have operating it?

My suggestion is to learn to combine the swing and boom up functions with something else whenever possible, that will slow the functions down some.

·
Premium Member
7,569 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to include the model, I have a 3033R with the 375A backhoe.
I have the same backhoe on a 3039R.

Mine does the same thing.

A little bit goes a long way. You just have to learn to use a lighter touch on the boom / swing lever.

As Kenny suggested, try combining the motions. I will add, slow or stop the left hand motion before you slow or stop the right.

It takes some time. I have put quite a few hours on mine and it still gets me every now and then. When I get it right it works really smooth.

I am working on three motions now with *some* success.

Don't think about it, just watch the bucket and do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So this type of control is standard? I have used a few small excavators in the past and the controls were much smoother - no slamming or hammering like I experience here. If that is the case I will learn to live with it but I was hoping/expecting it to be something I could remedy.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
So this type of control is standard? I have used a few small excavators in the past and the controls were much smoother - no slamming or hammering like I experience here. If that is the case I will learn to live with it but I was hoping/expecting it to be something I could remedy.
A remedy was offered-install an in-line flow restricter if it is something you want to “fix” instead of learning to remember to control. KennyD is the man for Hydraulics.

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
Excavators and commercial equipment use what’s called pilot operated controls, they are more precise, forgiving, and expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input so far. At least now I have an idea of what is going on and some choices.

So if I buy an adjustable in-line flow restrictor for about $100 at Northern Tool and install it before the control valve in theory I will be able to reduce the volume of oil that flows though the valve which will slow down the speed that the cylinders open/close and not harm the machine but it won't reduce the overall lift capacity. Is that right?

Or I could just put a restrictor between the control valve and the hose that raises the boom which will the leave the rest of the functions as they are, maybe my best choice since the swing is less of an issue for me.

I'm not afraid to try things, as long as the chance of permanent damage is low.

Will I use the backhoe enough to get a better feel for it as it is, probably, then it will sit unused for several months and I will get banged around again. I will be happy to tone it down a little if I can.

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
The best way is a restrictor between the valve and the cylinder. Do not restrict the main hydraulic flow, that will create a lot of heat which is a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
7,569 Posts
Like Kenny said, they (excavators) are purpose built machines.

You will get used to it. It just takes some practice and a little patience.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Every once in a while I just go dig something just for the heck of it, just because I can.

It is a very capable implement. Put that sucker to work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. I have been on the go a lot and leave town for two weeks tomorrow so the tractor will sit. I did buy a hydraulic pressure gauge from Bolt on Hooks just to have on hand and am glad to report I have a solid 2,500 psi of pressure at about 2,000 RPMs. I don't think there is any problem with the equipment, just a lack of experience. I have a lot of projects that involve the backhoe so I will try it a little more before I play with a flow restricter of some sort. However, I am at an age now where I don't feel it is necessary to do everything the hard way, or have to be an expert at all my hobbies so if I tire of getting kicked around by the hydraulics (my knees are still sore from a couple of projects over a week ago) I may just concede defeat and look to dampen the control a bit. We shall see. At least now I think I know what is going and and what I can do about it.

Just one more aside - I added a CTA 55" grapple to the arsenal. Life changing. It is among the best tool purchases I have made, and Jeff at CTA was great.

·
Premium Member
7,569 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have been on the go a lot and leave town for two weeks tomorrow so the tractor will sit. I did buy a hydraulic pressure gauge from Bolt on Hooks just to have on hand and am glad to report I have a solid 2,500 psi of pressure at about 2,000 RPMs. I don't think there is any problem with the equipment, just a lack of experience. I have a lot of projects that involve the backhoe so I will try it a little more before I play with a flow restricter of some sort. However, I am at an age now where I don't feel it is necessary to do everything the hard way, or have to be an expert at all my hobbies so if I tire of getting kicked around by the hydraulics (my knees are still sore from a couple of projects over a week ago) I may just concede defeat and look to dampen the control a bit. We shall see. At least now I think I know what is going and and what I can do about it.

Just one more aside - I added a CTA 55" grapple to the arsenal. Life changing. It is among the best tool purchases I have made, and Jeff at CTA was great.

I am 6 foot tall. My knees don't come in contact with anything.

The seat is adjustable and will move back.

Yes the boom has a lot of power, and that is a good thing.

Did I hear you say grapple?

Now that you are gonna love. :good2:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I was really jerky and uncoordinated when I was learning to operate my excavator and a piece of advice I got was when learning was to use my thumb and forefinger to move the control levers (joysticks or whatever you have) and not the entire hand. Give that a try assuming you don't need a lot of pressure to operate the controls. My E42 has very smooth controls but there was still quite a learning curve, took me 20 or 30 hours to get reasonably competent.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Rather than the $100 adjustable device,, you can buy a $3 male/female "blind" fitting.

Blind means it does not pass any oil, it is blocked.

Then, starting with your smallest drill, make a hole in the fitting, and test to see if the speed is correct.
Enlarge the hole one drill size, until you are happy with the speed.

The advantage to this fitting is that you can not bump it and change the setting,,
and, it takes up almost no space,,, :good2:

Well, I guess the price is an advantage, also? :dunno:

:laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts