Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Like fish bait on the eastern end of the state I've got a bazillion ash trees ready to go down (or already down)

My neighbor was kind enough to sternly remind me of a 2007 burn ban for brush etc on private property - campfires 4 ft x 3 ft permitted, no debris/garbage etc.

I'm looking to create some chips to put in landscaping beds, on trails, as trim, and cushioning under a swingset.

Wife like's black mulch, that's what we've always bought : is there an easy way to dye home made chips en masse?

Also, there's probably as much twig content (ie 1/8" to 3/4") as there are limbs that come down regularly.

Will a PTO driven chipper turn the small stuff into chips? Do I need a shredder for that subset of material? I have a fair amount of small stuff and too much to burn without drawing attention - also I do the burns infrequently so it tends to collect.

I know a lot of people use the shredder component for leaves, garden waste, etc. I think I would just mow over that stuff and I do have a mulching kit for my mowing deck.

I also know that combo chipper/shredders tend to have smaller capacities, and I don't believe there are any with hydraulic automatic feeders.
Thanks,
Jer

PS Eyeing the Woodmaxx TM86H - sa-weet!

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Chipper/shredder

For what it's worth, I bought a chipper/shredder and like lots of tools that attempt to do more than one thing, it excels at neither task. It does both and is pretty handy at times but I should have saved my money and gone for a larger chipper with hydraulic feed.

I will say that while it's slow shredding large piles of leaves, the resultant mulch is a really nice consistency and it's nice to be able to have it in a pile to use where I want it. I'd happily sell mine if someone was interested- for pure HO use it's a good machine but I'd be better off with a larger capacity chipper and no shredder.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
...is there an easy way to dye home made chips en masse?
We have brown mulch and have used the Mulch Dye Color Concentrate with decent results. The difference being your mulch would have started out dyed from the landscape place then refreshed when it started looking bad. Something to consider.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also interested in the chipper/shredder combo as well so would like to follow along. Treefarmer..what make did you buy was it a Wallenstein?

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I'll start by saying I'm a fan of my http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/115898-woodmaxx-mx-8800-chipper.html. The TM86H looks like a great machine and I don't think you'd gain anything by going to a combo machine, as has been said, only lose. With hydraulic feed, if the wheel grabs it, it'll shred it. Mine has no problems with leaves, or pine straw on branches. The angled chute of the TM86H would help with the small stuff too. I like the flat feed of mine, I don't have to cut things into smaller pieces :)

So, I haven't used a model with a shredder, but I haven't wished that I had one either. Yesterday I maxed it out with some near 8" branches and it ate them up fine. I deal with a bunch of pine, since I'm not using that for firewood, I chip all that I can and it handles the whole top of the tree down to where it won't fit through the opening any more. Needles, cones, branches, the whole mess. I would definitely say hydraulic feed over shredder.

I have no affiliation with Woodmax, I'm just a happy chipper user. It's my "backhoe" to speak :laugh:

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Areas that have burn restrictions the town usually will have brush pickup or a drop off.You might want to do some checking before spending money.Find out what your tax dollars do before spending anything.

Reactions: greenharley

·
Premium Member
12,769 Posts
Areas that have burn restrictions the town usually will have brush pickup or a drop off.You might want to do some checking before spending money.Find out what your tax dollars do before spending anything.
In our area there is a place to drop off tree limbs and branches but you cannot drop off any smaller trimmings like you get from yard bushes and hedges. Of course you also need to have a way to transport said limbs and branches to the drop-off site.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In our area there is a place to drop off tree limbs and branches but you cannot drop off any smaller trimmings like you get from yard bushes and hedges. Of course you also need to have a way to transport said limbs and branches to the drop-off site.
Thanks - i also have a use for the chips, many many trees that are down, and think it might be easier to chip everything rather than load and unload a trailer numerous times at a dump site, all the while securing the load and making sure nothing flies off my trailer on the road since there is some small/loose stuff

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I'm in the (maybe fortunate) position of having had both types of chippers.

The first chipper I had was a BearCat 73554 Chipper/Shredder.
Bearcat_Chipper.jpg

It was a good chipper with a 5" capacity. In reality, it was more of a 3" capacity unless you cut the bigger stuff into smaller lengths so it wouldn't stall out the tractor. I rarely used the "shredder" part of it as it was just easier to put any branches in the chute and chip them. The shredder also made a LOT of racket when dropping branches and stuff in it. About the only time I used the shredder was to put in my ornamental grass in the spring when I cut it to ground level. The grass stalks were kind of like straw. But, I've found that using the brush hog on my Gravely worked just as well.

I also didn't like the narrow chute on the BearCat. If you had something long and straight, it would basically self-feed as long as the knives were sharp. Just drop it in the chute and out it comes on the other end. But, you had to cut the limbs off EVERYTHING - any sort of "Y" in the branch would often get caught in the chute. I spent way too much time getting stuff ready to chip. While the machine did what it was supposed to, it would work you to death keeping it fed.

I sold that chipper in the fall of 2016 and bought a WoodMaxx MX-9900 chipper in March of 2017. I don't miss the "shredder" on the BearCat at all!! The WoodMaxx will eat up all those little branches and leaves while you're feeding in the bigger stuff. And when it says it's a 9" chipper - WoodMaxx means it!! If it can go through the throat, it will eat it! I do adjust the feed on the really big stuff and have yet to bog down the tractor. I no longer have to trim things before I can chip them. The hydraulic feed will pull in the material and "squish" down the branches on its own during the feed process. It's pretty rare that I have to cut something down first. Now what wears me out is picking up long logs that many people would use for firewood. I don't burn wood and there's so much dead Ash around here that no one wants it for firewood.

My only complaint about the MX-9900 is that they could have made the 3PH attach points just a tad deeper. The "hooks" on my QuickHitch are a super tight fit and I sometimes have a bit of trouble disconnecting it. I have to get my fat butt up on the 3PH arms to force it down. I need to grind just a tad off the hooks and I'd be OK. But not doing that gives me something to complain about. :laugh:

I'd say go for the best quality hydraulic feed chipper that you can afford. I'd think that for 99% of what you'll use it for, you'll never miss having a "shredder". If you think you might want one, you can pick up a smaller, self-contained shredder for not too much money on CL.

The MX-8800 and MX-9900 chippers are more expensive than the WM-8H chipper. Here's why I spent the extra money:
** I liked the "Made in the USA" aspect of the 8800 and 9900 machines.
** I liked the "self contained hydraulic system" on the 8800 and 9900 machines. It only uses a few quarts of motor oil and there are no extraneous hoses hanging off the machine.
** I don't have first hand knowledge of the feed rate adjustment on the WM-8H, but I think that the feed adjustment on the 8800 and 9900 machines is much easier and you can adjust it from the feed position.
** The MX-9900 has 4 knives instead of 2. I don't know if that makes much difference, but I liked it! :good2: I was told by WoodMaxx that the knives are offset from each other so that each knife takes a smaller bite than the 2 knife machines do.
** The flywheel on the MX-9900 weighs more than the other machines - giving it more inertia when chipping larger material.
** The MX-9900 has a smaller storage footprint than the MX-8800 has. You can fold up the feed platform to get it out of the way.
** The MX-9900 has adjustable height legs, although I've never adjusted them once I got it set for the correct height to align the PTO shaft with the tractor. In theory though, I could lower the legs for storage to slip it under a shelf or something.

With regards to Coaltrain's comment that "you can buy a lot of mulch for $3k"... yes you can. And you can buy a lot more the $6k or so that I paid for the MX-9900. :laugh: But, for me - and most likely for JerMedic - it's not just about making "mulch". Sweetie prefers the black mulch from the garden center for our landscaped beds so I'm still buying mulch. For me it's about doing something with the hundreds of trees that have fallen to the Emerald Ash Borer on our property. I still have stuff that's too big for for the MX-9900, but at some point I'll just rent a BIG chipper and take care of that. I also have a ton of honeysuckle (invasive plant) on our property so I chip that as well. I've got a pretty good sized pile going right now that is a mix of Ash and honeysuckle. I'm letting it compost so hopefully I'll have something to put on my garden beds in the spring. But, the bottom line is that I needed something to take care of the debris around this place. Taking it to the County operated facility is free, but I still have time and gas to get there. It's just so much easier to chip as I go.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Thanks - i also have a use for the chips, many many trees that are down, and think it might be easier to chip everything rather than load and unload a trailer numerous times at a dump site, all the while securing the load and making sure nothing flies off my trailer on the road since there is some small/loose stuff
Yeah - this ^^^^^^^ :laugh:

You were typing while I was typing. If I had a dump trailer, maybe I'd take it to the County.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
MacKissick,

Also interested in the chipper/shredder combo as well so would like to follow along. Treefarmer..what make did you buy was it a Wallenstein?
I think it's a MacKissick which I bought off CL. The previous owner hadn't used it much and truthfully, neither have I. It's not a bad machine, just probably not the best for my use.

Treefarmer

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I guess I’m the opposite of most then. I want and need a chipper/shredder. I’d like to run garden material like corn stalks, tomato vines, pea and bean plants and straw through the shredder. Then still have the chipper for when I trim trees. I’ve been looking at MacKissik since they are a hammer mill type. This means they beat the pulp out of stuff until it drops through the screen. It also takes bigger material through the chipper intake than the Wallenstein models.

The township has a brush drop off site. However there is nothing to stop anybody from dropping off stuff and they do. This past fall I went to drop a trailer load off and obviously there had been several loads from a dump trailer dropped off. Bottom line is it’s being abused and I doubt the option will be available long term.

I’ve been looking on CL for a chipper shredder. There was a Woods model and a MacKiisic model last spring that popped up but just didn’t have the funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
You asked about the chips, so here's some pics of what I have done lately. What you end up with is a mixed bag depending on what you are running through and how sharp your blades are.

20180107_161403.jpg

20180107_161346.jpg

20180107_161138.jpg

20180107_161124.jpg

20180107_155328.jpg

If you are shopping for a 1025r, the TM86H is probably the right machine size wise.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Make you a deal

I guess I’m the opposite of most then. I want and need a chipper/shredder. I’d like to run garden material like corn stalks, tomato vines, pea and bean plants and straw through the shredder. Then still have the chipper for when I trim trees. I’ve been looking at MacKissik since they are a hammer mill type. This means they beat the pulp out of stuff until it drops through the screen. It also takes bigger material through the chipper intake than the Wallenstein models.

The township has a brush drop off site. However there is nothing to stop anybody from dropping off stuff and they do. This past fall I went to drop a trailer load off and obviously there had been several loads from a dump trailer dropped off. Bottom line is it’s being abused and I doubt the option will be available long term.

I’ve been looking on CL for a chipper shredder. There was a Woods model and a MacKiisic model last spring that popped up but just didn’t have the funds.

LOL, mine can be for sale at a reasonable price but it's a long way from WI. The shredder does work well, it's just not my primary need.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Well, maybe

So, like, 2 cases of beer? :gizmo: :laugh:
It would have to be very, very good beer. I'm not sure I've ever had beer that good, lol.

Of course, how would I know? My taste in beer and food tends to be what's on sale. Coors (the real stuff, not light), used to like Olympia, Molson's, Blue Moon etc.

Never ran any of them through the shredder either.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Levi and Jim Timber

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I have the DR chipper I bought back in '03. Mine has 1 blade and is NOT self feeding. It chips up to 4½" and because it's PTO driven it does a good job for what it is. Would I buy another again? NO! Although I'm glad I have it, I bought it at the time because that is the only one I knew of at the time. As far as a shredder is concerned I really don't have a need for one and I run leaves and vines through it all the time. Now if I have a pile of leaves or vines that I don't want to mess with by running it through the chipper I will just mow it with the MMM on the tractor. I'll mow it into a pile and move it to my mulch pile with the FEL or wagon.

Now the reason I wouldn't get another DR brand is because I will never recommend a chipper that does not have a self feeder. No matter what brand you get or if it's a chipper/shredder or just a chipper make sure it's self feeding and the self feed is adjustable. Why? Because if you have to feed it, the way it vibrates when chipping the small branches and twigs will cut you arms to pieces. Also get one that has a big opening where you feed it. Bigger the opening the better. Even though my opening is around a foot the vines are a tangles mess and hard to get through that opening when it's in a balled up mess. And with the opening level you won't have to lift so high and toward the end of the day of chipping, you tend to get tired and just don't want to lift the stuff so high anymore.

As for a chipper and the need, I would never want to be without one. Screw the hauling it somewhere. If you don't have a dump trailer you will work your butt off trying to load/unload it. Get a chipper, the biggest and best one you can afford that works for you depending on your size tractor, if it's PTO driven. With property and trees, it's a must have. It will save you a lot of work in the long run. There is a lot of things you can do with chips. If it's just a few branches, I'll chip in place, spread it out and leave it laying right there. I have 2 mulch piles going right now. Takes 2 to 4 years to turn into what I can spread on my garden and till under. The bigger chips will still be chips but it won't hurt the garden or tiller.

Good luck!

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
LOL, mine can be for sale at a reasonable price but it's a long way from WI. The shredder does work well, it's just not my primary need.

Treefarmer
Hmm. Looks like you’re in Virginia. Coincidentally planning a vacation that way this coming summer. Wonder what my wife would say to pulling a Uhaul trailer from Virginia to Wisconsin on the way home?

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
We can try to find out

Hmm. Looks like you’re in Virginia. Coincidentally planning a vacation that way this coming summer. Wonder what my wife would say to pulling a Uhaul trailer from Virginia to Wisconsin on the way home?

LOL, only one way to find out. Depending on what you are driving it might not be necessary. Without the PTO shaft attached, the unit isn't really that big, especially if the legs were taken off. Certainly not compact car size but maybe doable with a SUV depending on what else you had with you. The kids could always just ride on top, right?

Treefarmer

Reactions: Levi
1 - 20 of 21 Posts