Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The blades on my batwing all 12 of them were getting a little dull and I was fighting a lot of discharge clumping up in the yard, mainly the past month or so. The blades have been used for 2 seasons and I decided to try the mulching blades. These were the ones made for my bat wing mower, even though they do not actually offer a full on mulching kit for this implement.

Now that I have the mulching blades installed and have used them a couple times, I have noticed the clumping issues are no longer an issues, that clumping problem was solved.
Now I am seeing some skips or rather areas where the tractor tires press the grass down and the blades are no longer lifting and cutting as well as the standard blades had been doing even in their dull state. So I think I solved one issues to only create a new one.

They also offer high lift blades for this mower as well, as well as the standard blades it came with and the mulching blades I recently installed.

I have mulching kits for both my X7s, the 2025R and the 3046R, no issues at all, all cut perfectly clean. So I am a little surprised at the issues I am seeing with batwing, but it is pulled by a 5M a much heavier machine then those others, only I had pulled it with the same 5M all season and no compaction skip issues with the standard blades at all, only now seeing it with these new mulching blades.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?

·
Registered
792 Posts
By nature, mulching blades have higher lift. The goal is to lift the grass, it falls back, gets cut again, etc.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,978 Posts
This is thinking outside the box - Could it be more related to the condition of grass at this point in the season? As the temps are cooling and the abuse from the summer heat, is it possible that the grass just doesn't stand up as fast and is harder to lift due to its composition at this time of year?

Disclaimer: I don't know if anything above has any basis in fact and I didn't google it to try and learn if it's true. I'm not an expert or a novice in grass growing or molecular structures and my thumbs are VERY far from green... But time to Google it and see if there is any truth to the above.

Edit: The googling has been inconclusive.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
By nature, mulching blades have higher lift. The goal is to lift the grass, it falls back, gets cut again, etc.
Well that sort of makes sense. But what is the difference in what is called a high lift blade vs a mulching blade?
Standard blades, high lift blades and mulching blades are all under 3 different part numbers. The mulching blades clearly have a different shape to them then the original standard blades.
These are the new mulching blades pictured on the batwing.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Green Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I thought mulching blades are low lift and don't work well without a mulching kit.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought mulching blades are low lift and don't work well without a mulching kit.
I was wondering that as well. All those other mowers have full mulching kits, and by kit they have not only mulching blades but steel shrouds that surround the blades, maybe you are on to something there, without the shrouds to surround the blades and trap the grass, maybe there is also a vacuum effect that is not present and really needs to be present to make them work properly. Woods makes this for batwing for Deere. I am assuming woods is marketing the 3 blade styles Deere offers for this mower as well.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My dealer said Deere didn't show anything but the mulching blades for my FM1017 but the Woods TBW204 which is the same mower, does show there is a complete kit availble and not just blades.

I think I am going to call the local Woods dealer and get a quote on this kit tomorrow.

Furniture Rectangle Font Table Parallel

Edit:
Update: Spoke with Woods dealer just now part number is 1019431 x qty 3. Said his computer was not giving him a price or availability. Contacting his woods rep and going to get back to me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mulching blades work but won't be 100% effective unless baffled properly. Mulching blades are made to circulate, high lift are meant for suction and discharge. If you want the best cut you want lift and discharge as easily as possible, although you're discharge may be unwanted.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Uhhhh...mulching blades are ment to mulch. I pick stuff up and drop it down. That is why there is no release to right or behind the mower deck. Everything is blocked off. A high lift blade is ment to cut the grass and throw it to the right or behind to the shoot or bagger. Mulching blades are i pick stuff and put it down. High lift blades are i cut stuff up and throw it in the direction of path intended. If i have a bagging system on there is nothing better then a high lift blade. Each server it's own purpose.

2032r gen1

Reactions: cc1999

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My experience is mulching blades do seem to have less lift. On my previous tractor, a Kubota BX it had a mulching kit. I needed new blades and got some Gator blades. They were very high lift and left a really good cut, I’m talking great cut. I used them once, the grass just floated up all over the place, covered me, covered the radiator. I had to clean out the screen and radiator every 15 minutes, it was that bad.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just replaced deere high lift blades with gator g6 mulching blades and definitely notice it does not pull the grass up as well, even with a 519 powerflow bagger. In fact it just clogs the mc519 cart vents quicker because of finer grass. I have a new set of factory high lift sitting waiting to be put back on when I pull the deck for maintenance this winter.

·
Premium Member
15,961 Posts
That has not been my experience. I always install mulching blades on my mowers and the blades tend to be even lower lift than the standard blades and nowhere near what a high-lift blade would be. High lift blades are designed to add in bagging operations.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Mulching blades for use with a mulching kit are by design LOW LIFT. They they move way way less air than normal or high lift blades. They only move enough air to circulate under the deck for mulching of the clippings which then drop straight down. This reduced air flow does sometimes result in mooshed down tire tracks not getting sucked back up. Conditions dependent.

High lift blades have to move more air because they need to push the clippings across and out the discharge. This requires moving a lot more air, which does result in sucking grass up that may be mooshed down from the tires better.

Gator blades are high lift blades, not mulching kit blades. They are designed for discharging and move lots of air.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well that sort of makes sense. But what is the difference in what is called a high lift blade vs a mulching blade?
Standard blades, high lift blades and mulching blades are all under 3 different part numbers. The mulching blades clearly have a different shape to them then the original standard blades.
These are the new mulching blades pictured on the batwing.
View attachment 804291 View attachment 804292
Are you sure you don't have these on upside down? Looks like the lift wings are facing down at the tips. Mulching blades are supposed to lift at the tips and cycle the cut grass back down through the center.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure you don't have these on upside down? Looks like the lift wings are facing down at the tips. Mulching blades are supposed to lift at the tips and cycle the cut grass back down through the center.
I don’t know for sure, I thought we had them on right. They didn’t have any markings on them to show how to put them on, nor were there any instruction. We used the standard blades we removed to sort of try and see how these should go on.
Does anyone have any pics or links of how they are supposed to go on?

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Perhaps you’re batwing has slower rotation than other decks and not getting the lift? Just spitballing here…

Reactions: cc1999 and MattL

·
Registered
217 Posts
My experience has been less lift for true mulching blades.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I don’t know for sure, I thought we had them on right. They didn’t have any markings on them to show how to put them on, nor were there any instruction. We used the standard blades we removed to sort of try and see how these should go on.
Does anyone have any pics or links of how they are supposed to go on?
Do all the blades rotate clockwise? The sharp edge at the tip should be facing down with the bevel on top.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Perhaps you’re batwing has slower rotation than other decks and not getting the lift? Just spitballing here…
I don't think so, However I was originally using the E-PTO feature on the 5115M the first few times I pulled it with that tractor, and later decided to try it with the standard PTO setting, when I noticed that I was not getting as clean a cut and I do believe it cuts cleaner when in standard PTO vs E-PTO.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do all the blades rotate clockwise? The sharp edge at the tip should be facing down with the bevel on top.
I was looking at that last night. I didn't try starting the tractor and engaging the blades, but just looking and it and rotating the blades by hand I was under the impression the turn counter clockwise, which I thought was a bit odd.
I am not sure if it safe to engage the blades with the wings up or not, but that would be the best way to know for sure which way they spin.
I will check the manual as well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts