Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a Santa Fe "commercial" dehumidifier last year in September. It failed in early June. Complete loss of refrigerant. Am on the 3rd one now, and it is doing nothing but running the fan. The compressor will not come on. The 2nd one is outside the gate waiting for UPS to pick it up; it only did about 32 pints/day, not enough. They told us to just recycle the 1st one. Did and got $4 for it.

The SF and Aprilaire were the 2 recommended to us by our HVAC people. SF gives you a 30 day warranty and then farms out the replacements to another outfit, ThermaStar. Overall warranty is 6 years. Do we keep doing this for 6 years?

Think not. Have contacted another local outfit who have their own dehumidifiers. They're coming next week to assess the situation.

It's in an encapsulated crawl space which was fine for 6 or 8 years using fans. Last year, it developed an odor when the dehumidifier was recommended.

Tried one of the usual 70 pints (size of SF) units for households. Was not adequate and heated up the crawl space drastically. Not designed properly to not heat up space it is dehumidifying from. The SF barely heats up the space.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
That's a shame. It seems that only a month or two ago you were posting about how well the Santa Fe was working. And you have had the original and a replacement both fail in this short time? Were both failures refrigerant loss?

Do they not have a way to recharge them with refrigerant? I recently had a unit repaired for $80. The tech soldered the leak he found in the refrigerant line, and also soldered in 2 Schrader valves so the unit could be recharged. The compressor was fine. It was a young guy just trying to start his own business. A big HVAC company might have just sold me a new $1,500 unit rather than attempting to fix the old one.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I've been down this road too with the Sante Fe dehumidifiers. I have lost count of how many the company has replaced on their dime. Like you mention, they told me to keep the last broken one and just send them the serial number label.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
For what it's worth, this dehumidifier has been performing flawlessly in a 1,000 sq ft encapsulated space below the house for five years, with no discernible impact on utility bills.

Reactions: trav
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.