Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done using my fel on my 1023e pushing a little dirt and also had the deck on before that mulching leaves and boy howdy was Little Johnny dirty! Being a painter in a truck manufacturing plant and also doing a little detailing on the side makes me a little OCD when it comes to my stuff so it was out with the pressure washer and before I knew it, I had used some left over ceramic coating on my tractor and deck! Does anyone else out there get carried away like me? Share some stories and pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Looks nice

Just got done using my fel on my 1023e pushing a little dirt and also had the deck on before that mulching leaves and boy howdy was Little Johnny dirty! Being a painter in a truck manufacturing plant and also doing a little detailing on the side makes me a little OCD when it comes to my stuff so it was out with the pressure washer and before I knew it, I had used some left over ceramic coating on my tractor and deck! Does anyone else out there get carried away like me? Share some stories and pictures!
If my 790 gets a wash, it's a good day. I normally only pressure wash it if it's really dirty or about once a year for general maintenance. I'm not knocking your efforts, it looks really good but I don't see me ever going that far.

Let's don't even talk about the 40 year old tractors on the farm. Just having paint on them is a plus. . .

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
11,373 Posts
I wash my 2720 and X500 when I notice grime starting to accumulate. I usually don’t power wash anything. Just a few sprays of Fantastic and then rinse with the hose. I also try to give it a wax once per year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I don't utilize my pressure washer on it. I'm always concerned about pushing water past seals and I've seen them take the graphic decals off things. So I utilize the hose, a 5 gallon bucket with Dawn dish soap, some long handled car wash brushes, and a sponge. I chamois it off when I'm done. Mine gets washed twice a year. Late in the fall, after I have installed the cab. This is more to deal with the dust that accumulated on the cab over the summer. I wash it inside and out. Again, in the spring, just before I remove the cab to take care of the winter yuck.

I do utilize the pressure washer on the mower decks, before I store them for the winter. I avoid getting near bearings and I grease it when I'm done, as a part of the annual maintenance/end of season storage.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I don't utilize my pressure washer on it. I'm always concerned about pushing water past seals and I've seen them take the graphic decals off things. So I utilize the hose, a 5 gallon bucket with Dawn dish soap, some long handled car wash brushes, and a sponge. I chamois it off when I'm done. Mine gets washed twice a year. Late in the fall, after I have installed the cab. This is more to deal with the dust that accumulated on the cab over the summer. I wash it inside and out. Again, in the spring, just before I remove the cab to take care of the winter yuck.

I do utilize the pressure washer on the mower decks, before I store them for the winter. I avoid getting near bearings and I grease it when I'm done, as a part of the annual maintenance/end of season storage.

agree with this post...the only time a pressure washer gets near mine is when i have a repair issue or maintenance issue to pre-clean the area involved....other than that if i go by the hose wash off accumulated debris.....or same with the power blower...will do a window wash on cab windows regularly.....and clean operator stations once a year during annual maintenance...

but if a guy wants to take it out on date night i guess a wash n wax is in order..........

·
Registered
126 Posts
I’ve never done the deck but I remove the seat and handles along with the tool box so it’s easier to try and buff out the swirl marks left from the fast wash and dries during the summer. I’ve done this every fall in the past 5 years.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Wow, that really looks good... Having said that my 1025r and my Craftsman both get air pressure to clean dust, dirt, leaves, and grass off after each time they cut grass or collect leaves but they usually only get washed before I do maintenance.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
You guys that say no pressure washer do know that you don't have to hold the nozzle an inch from the surface....:flag_of_truce:

I use a pressure washer every time I clean mine. Works great for muddy tires and underbody clean up.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Of course. I always clean the debris off of my lawn mowers ( X380, X570) and my 4044R after every use. At the end of the season, I wash them up completely. I’ve always taken care of everything I have, mostly for longevity, but the occasional resale value.

I bought a 790/300 FEL in 2007 for $15,500. I used it for yard chores, working up a 5 acre field 7 years in a row until we finally settled on a bent grass hayfield. In 12 years I had 580 hours on it and always kept it clean. When I sold it to purchase my 4044R/440R FEL, it brought $13,900.

My feeling is that if you take care of it both in appearance and mechanically, it will retain the highest value. Who wants to buy something that looks like it’s been worked to death?

·
Registered
935 Posts
You guys that say no pressure washer do know that you don't have to hold the nozzle an inch from the surface....:flag_of_truce:

I use a pressure washer every time I clean mine. Works great for muddy tires and underbody clean up.

if i held the held the pressure washer that close i would be afraid it would strip the paint...cut the plastic and roll the tractor over.......:lolol::hide:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Gave my tractor a good cleaning with some simple green and Mcguires once in the 98 hrs I put on it. I have frequently blown it off with my leaf blower, and pressure washed it twice, but buffing my mmm is not gonna happen. I got way too much other stuff to do. If its in good running condition, and looks presentable and ready for the next time I get on it, im happy

·
Registered
374 Posts
I keep mine clean, and get joy out of it. Doing it on a regular basis, means that it doesn't build up and make a bigger job, later. I don't pressure wash it, but I blow it off with compressed air, keep it washed, and wax it once or twice a year. It's a 2000, and looks new.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I wash our tractor every time I wash our truck. That would be once since 2008.:lol:
Funny, that's probably why you get 5 MPG on the truck. Hauling all that dirt around. :laugh:
If my tractor gets to the point it isn't green anymore I will hit with the hose. Short of that only when it rains or pushes snow.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

I do blow the debris off my Z mower with the backpack blower, and will often pressure wash it while I'm doing the tractor, but I can't envision myself hand scrubbing my tractor. The analogy that comes to mind would be polishing and waxing the hammers on my tool rack. :lol:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Of course. I always clean the debris off of my lawn mowers ( X380, X570) and my 4044R after every use. At the end of the season, I wash them up completely. I’ve always taken care of everything I have, mostly for longevity, but the occasional resale value.

I bought a 790/300 FEL in 2007 for $15,500. I used it for yard chores, working up a 5 acre field 7 years in a row until we finally settled on a bent grass hayfield. In 12 years I had 580 hours on it and always kept it clean. When I sold it to purchase my 4044R/440R FEL, it brought $13,900.

My feeling is that if you take care of it both in appearance and mechanically, it will retain the highest value. Who wants to buy something that looks like it’s been worked to death?
In agreement on resale these pictures are of my old 2186 Cub. I believe I gave around $3400 new and just sold it for $1800. It had 900+ hours on it and was 19yrs old when I sold it. It pays to take care of your stuff!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Wash and power wash all my equipment regularly when weather permits. Kinda OCD also, Told the Mrs many times if I build a new barn it’s gonna have a wash bay in it. Also put a good coat of wax on all before winter. Like many said I’m real careful with the power washer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 54 Posts