Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the thread in the compact section by Johndeere3720 asking how many tractors we had..

Do you consider your lawn machine a tractor?

I do.. Its not as versatile and useful for most jobs but it does a better job at mowing the lawn that my CUT would do IMO. Now a zero turn... nope, not a tractor.

· Premium Member
973 Posts
If the lawn machine can take some sort of attachment (whether you do so or not) then I'd consider it a tractor. Otherwise, it's a riding lawn mower (and that's a fine piece of equipment to have too). So my little 318 tractor shown here has a front blade and a rear weight bracket (and a loose nut at the wheel).

I'd have to think if a pull cart is an attachment, I'd tend to think not since it's a bent piece of metal with a hole to add it.

Pete

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: tj1

· Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Mine is 95% tractor, and 5% lawn machine - only when I aerate, and I got some turf times for that.

-Jer.

· Registered
430 Posts
I guess my benchmark is my grandpa's mule, he could pull pretty hard.:laugh:
Years ago people replaced their mules with tractors which didn't seem to have all the psychological hangups, didn't burn fuel when not used and so on.

I doubt my 749 would come close to the pulling ability of that big mule so I would not consider it a tractor. I am not really sure the mower is much better than my dad's Charlais bull either, this bull would mow down a 10ft swath through a Sudex patch in one pass. I can't match that with my new mower either.

· Registered
Bobcat MT55, T62, E10, E42, Deere 4100, Z225
510 Posts
My L118 only pulls a cart and cuts the lawn but since it rains so much here in Oregon it is more of a trailer puller than a mower thus i would call it a tractor. Now to get some R1s for it and maybe a FEL. :lol:

Attachments

· Registered
430 Posts
My L118 only pulls a cart and cuts the lawn but since it rains so much here in Oregon it is more of a trailer puller than a mower thus i would call it a tractor. Now to get some R1s for it and maybe a FEL. :lol:

Some people just need better direction.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Haha

· Registered
Bobcat MT55, T62, E10, E42, Deere 4100, Z225
510 Posts
Some people just need better direction.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I’ll at least give the builder credit, looks like a pretty well made loader. Having replaced the spindles multiple times on the L118 I can’t imagine the front end would be reliable whatsoever with a FEL, especially with the steering gears on the L series.

· Premium Member
11,020 Posts
Anything you ride on to do any tasks around the homestead even if it’s mowing the lawn I consider a tractor.

· Registered
1,883 Posts
The basic meaning of the word "tractor" is something meant to pull ( a load or attachment...) Here is a formal Etymology statement:
The word tractor was taken from Latin, being the agent noun of trahere "to pull". The first recorded use of the word meaning "an engine or vehicle for pulling wagons or plows" occurred in 1896, from the earlier term "traction engine" (1859).​
Given that -- any such machine that does more than just mow would be rationally considered a tractor. For a long time this was my only mowing machine at the place in Oregon, but clearly it did more than just cut grass...and had multiple attachments and trailers.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Lawn mower

Wheel Tire Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

Chuck

· Registered
1,989 Posts
My understanding is that lawn and/or garden tractors are both in the riding mower category. They are a type of tractor (like lawn tractor, utility tractor, ag tractor) but they are a specific type of tractor mostly catered to mowing. Just like a utility tractor is not an ag tractor is not a bulldozer is not a wheel loader.

· Premium Member
11,020 Posts
Because this thread is 12 years old I'm not going to participate in it :ROFLMAO:
OK
Then why did you post anything then…?

· Premium Member
7,465 Posts
still an interesting question 12 years old or not...

Reactions: Mackford13 and Kbar

· Registered
1,931 Posts
Maybe it depends on your perspective. If you've grown up around Ag equipment, then an S100 lawn tractor probably doesn't fit the definition. If the closest you have ever come is one built by Tonka, then an S100 may be a tractor for you. Does that mean a lawn/garden tractor is a lesser machine? No, it's the right tool for the job it was designed to do. I've owned several and always referred to them as tractors - because riding lawn mower is too many syllables ;)

· Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Maybe it depends on your perspective. If you've grown up around Ag equipment, then an S100 lawn tractor probably doesn't fit the definition. If the closest you have ever come is one built by Tonka, then an S100 may be a tractor for you. Does that mean a lawn/garden tractor is a lesser machine? No, it's the right tool for the job it was designed to do. I've owned several and always referred to them as tractors - because riding lawn mower is too many syllables ;)
YOu're ok you spelled syllables correctly and used it properly in a sentence. and I agree. I've beat the Heck out of my old lawn mower by doing tractor work.. Heck people call an SUV a truck.. I call my ranger a truck.. some guys call any bulldozer a cat,. It's all semantics.. :ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
11,020 Posts
YOu're ok you spelled syllables correctly and used it properly in a sentence. and I agree. I've beat the Heck out of my old lawn mower by doing tractor work.. Heck people call an SUV a truck.. I call my ranger a truck.. some guys call any bulldozer a cat,. It's all semantics.. :ROFLMAO:
Totally agree. I ran my old riding mower like a rented mule also. I’m f course I didn’t know any better but I would leave the caster wheels loose and drop the deck to the ground to level out the mole hills before mowing lol. Among other things it took like a champ it earned its tractor title. On the semantics I like when the news chick starts spouting off about a bulldozer when it’s a loader

• Haha
1 - 20 of 54 Posts