Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m interested in learning about if y’all are annoyed by expensive, plastic John Deere hoods.

·
Registered
851 Posts
no problem .....i bought a plastic hooded 4500 10 yrs ago that had a crack in the hood (owner said he dropped something on it) ........bought a new replacement and decals on ebay for what seemed like $150 installed it no more issues.... i personally really like the easily replaceable non denting pre-colored/painted plastic parts...i think that for 1k i could probably redo my whole tractor like new if i wanted...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Random cracking due to weather or self inflicted? Crack or dent (If it were metal) it's still damaged.

·
Premium Member
11,020 Posts
Bought a 175 Hydro new and 25+ years later the plastic hood was still like new. From what I have seen over the years, most if not all cracked hoods are self inflicted.

·
Premium Member
7,995 Posts
I’m interested in learning about if y’all are annoyed by expensive, plastic John Deere hoods.
Interesting 1st post.

Why do you ask?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Interesting 1st post.

Why do you ask?
Almost certainly a guy who has only owned Kubotas thus far and now recognizes their general inferiority. He's looking at John Deeres and has watched several of Neil Messick's videos. He now wants reassurance about the hoods before dumping his Kubota and pulling the trigger on the Deere.

Just an educated guess.....

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I vastly prefer plastic hoods over metal. And plastic fenders.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I really like Green Plastic hoods. They are usually bolted to REALLY awesome tractors!!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The company I work for builds machines (not tractors). Many of our models are base metal hoods with an up charge for resin. Our actual cost for the resin hood is over 3x the cost of the metal hood. And customers choose resin 3 to 1 when available. The reason is they look better longer and shrug off most knows and bangs and still look great.

I love this bowling ball video. I like to think of it as a stump rolling back over the loader.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just replaced the lens on my 20 yr old 345. Hood is holding up just fine but I rarely leave it sitting in the sun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting 1st post.

Why do you ask?
Well, my Dad bought a liquid cooled John Deere lawnmower (not sure what model at the moment), a while back, for $200. The engine was in rough shape and the plastic hood was cracked. Now, we are fabricating a aluminum hood. I was interested in the commonality of hood cracking,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Almost certainly a guy who has only owned Kubotas thus far and now recognizes their general inferiority. He's looking at John Deeres and has watched several of Neil Messick's videos. He now wants reassurance about the hoods before dumping his Kubota and pulling the trigger on the Deere.

Just an educated guess.....
This is hilarious considering I know someone that religiously praises Kubota lawn mowers. Never had one myself.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Well, my Dad bought a liquid cooled John Deere lawnmower (not sure what model at the moment), a while back, for $200. The engine was in rough shape and the plastic hood was cracked. Now, we are fabricating a aluminum hood. I was interested in the commonality of hood cracking,
You bought a lawnmower for 200$ and are annoyed by a buying a hood? I guess if the hood is 300$ than yeah it's expensive. Expensive is relative.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just bought (today) a 2000 model 4700. As I was looking at it the owner closed the hood and it cracked. I'll be getting a new hood
your 4700 will have the same hood as my 4500....its easy to stress the hood when you open it due to the hold open pin catching during opening......when you do the first few opens go slow and careful till you understand how it works ......(need to pull the latch rod on the right side when you open/close the hood)....been 10 yrs since i replaced mine but i think you have to buy a newer style fuel lid that doesnt come with the hood seems like something on the fuel lid took me a while to install ...

·
Premium Member
7,995 Posts
Post up the model and some pictures. We've got some really talented folks that like to see and help rescue old tractors.

Abuse anything and it will break.

If you need parts, we have vendors like Green Farm Parts, that offer discounts for GTT members that might help with some of the costs.

We also have some members that are rather resourceful finding parts machines.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My 4200 came w/ a crack at the fuel cap - I've been led to believe this is a common problem. I've not fixed it yet, but I did replace the side panel and grill because the clips that hold it on the bottom were broken.

I may fix it in the future or I may just live with it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I prefer non metal hoods, which includes the old fiberglass hoods.
No dents and dings in them, and with the fiberglass, they had the added advantage of being fixable if some actually did manage to break one. Now the earlier ones, on the 110s, 140s, were much thinner than the later 300/400, and x55 CUT hoods (and many others I think).
The newer "plastic" hoods are not the same thing Deere put on the older GTs. Its much more flexible, or at least will give more without breaking than the older ones.
I have yet to see any broken that werent either from running into something, dropping something on it, or poor open and close practices (though in some of the latter, its possible some of that was simply due to the design of the mechanism).

Anyway, the plastic hood and side panels on the Deeres is one of the features I really like.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts