Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing a fair amount of people leave their weights on their wheels all year round in Michigan. Would that extra weight flatten the grass?

·
Premium Member
13,316 Posts
What size tractor are referring too, and how many wheel weights makes a difference too.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Tractor info would be beneficial.

From what I see most times, on the 1025s, guys run the 50# weights. Those arent going to hurt anything.
Also, being in Michigan, you have very sandy soil. Its actually kinda hard to compact that too much. In Indiana, we have clay, and that compacts GREAT! :laugh:
I always run wheel weights. Keeps the center of gravity a bit lower, and really, the extra 100# (120# in my case) isnt going to hurt anything any more than running the tractor over it without them would.

Now, if you are stacking two weights on top of starter weights on each side, you might want to remove some...but this too depends on the tractor, its use, and the size and number of weights used.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tractors they I've seen them on are your standard John Deere lawn mower. I ask because I thought it was kind of weird, but i also read something that said to alternate the direction you mow so not too flatten the grass

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have 70lb starter weights and 50 lb add ons all the time. They work great and are fine for mowing too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have 70lb starter weights and 50 lb add ons all the time. They work great and are fine for mowing too.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
If you are concerned about the wheel weights, what about your weight sitting on the seat. That is bound to be more than the wheel weights. So maybe you should just walk alongside the tractor so you don't add more weight to the tractor???? Oh wait, that might be putting more weight per square inch. That would not be any help. :laugh:

Seriously, do you really want to handle the removal and adding of those weights on a regular basis. They are not something that are easy on and easy off. They just are not designed to be taken off once they are on the tractor. Besides, that is too much like work. I can find plenty of work without needing to do something like that. Mine weigh 110# each and I can't even lift something that heavy. I would have to use the loader to lift them and that might be a problem in this case.

That reminds me. I once knew of a guy that had a wheelbarrow. Then he got a tractor with a loader. He GAVE away the wheelbarrow......:laugh:

Dave

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I also read something that said to alternate the direction you mow so not too flatten the grass
This will be far more beneficial than taking wheel weights off. If you constantly mow the same tracks every time, you'll end up with compacted ruts, with or without weights. I rotate diagonals, up and down, and across to help prevent this.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
This will be far more beneficial than taking wheel weights off. If you constantly mow the same tracks every time, you'll end up with compacted ruts, with or without weights. I rotate diagonals, up and down, and across to help prevent this.
True, but it also depends on the type of soil in his area.
Around here, I can get away with mowing over the same areas, but thats with my zero turn. If I were still mowing with the 318, Id use a different pattern each time.

As to seeing mowers with them, its likely due to center of gravity.
My 318, the 312 before it, and the 110 before it, all wore single notch cast iron wheel weights all the time.
The reason was because the lawn had several hills, and without the weights, it would slide sideways on the hills.
I no longer mow with it, except in the Fall to clean up leaves, and we arent on the same kind of property my Grandfather was, but it still wears the weights. They help immensely with traction when pulling heavy loads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts