Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, newbie q. I have a fairly steep yard to mow and the first time I mowed with the FEL on and wondering if I should remove before I mow again.

Does anyone have experience with mowing with and without the extra 700 or so pounds the 220R adds?

That's prob not the best picture in the world but might help. I have the 60MMM.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,494 Posts
I never mow with the loader on. Deere engineers did a lot of work to make it simple to remove and install. My loader lives on my tractor except for weekly mowing time. The loader comes off and mower on within 5 minutes.

You will find your tractor a lot more stable on hills without the loader on. You might think the extra weight is a benefit but that weight is up higher than you think. I have some steep hills which I mow regularly. When I am up there on the hills with just the loader on I have to really take it easy and watch myself compared to when just the mower is on.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have left mine on occasionally but I think its harder on the tractor as everything bounces. I try to take off the loader and backhoe on my tractor whenever I mow. But I have no proof either way. I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
You might think the extra weight is a benefit but that weight is up higher than you think.
True, not only does it raise the center of gravity making the tractor more likely to tip, but it also shifts the center of gravity forward, away from the solid rear axle and towards the pivoting front axle which makes it even more likely to tip.

Yes, you should remove the FEL before mowing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. You all are correct and I just was confirming my suspicion and this is great site again for newbies like me.

Every time I say newbie it reminds me of home. The jersey shore I grew up down in cape may and we call all the philly people that came down showbie's. Lol. Stupid backstory I know.

Thanks for the info.

So do you take off your mower when your doing FEL work same principle.

·
Registered
12,553 Posts
Yes, far too easy to damage that mower deck and the accompanying auto connect hardware. Much too easy to remove compared to the cost of replacing parts. :good2:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It would be best for stability if the mower deck stayed on because it adds a couple hundred pounds down low but unless you are using the FEL on a smooth level surface you will risk damaging the mower deck - so in most cases it is best to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Hello all, newbie q. I have a fairly steep yard to mow and the first time I mowed with the FEL on and wondering if I should remove before I mow again.

Does anyone have experience with mowing with and without the extra 700 or so pounds the 220R adds?

That's prob not the best picture in the world but might help. I have the 60MMM.
For me, FEL work means no mower. Mowing means no FEL! Been that way since day one. No exceptions.

·
Registered
168 Posts
For me, FEL work means no mower. Mowing means no FEL! Been that way since day one. No exceptions.
This. I have a hard enough time mowing around the fruit trees in my orchard with out the FEL. I can’t imagine what it would be like with it.

I never mow with the loader attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, yeah I mowed once with it on and it rather annoying steering around obsticals etc.

Now if we can gerbil a few days without rain that would be great to play some more. lol.

Hope the removal of MMM and FEL goes on and off as smooth as supposed to here st the house.

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
I remove the FEL and backoe always before mowing. It's hard enough maneuvering in tight places without those on the tractor.

I also try to mow after a rain. Not while its still very wet with mushy ground, but solid enough to support the tractor without leaving marks and yet wet enough to keep the dust down. If I were to keep on the extra weight of the FEL and/or backhoe, I would have tire tracks in my turf. Enough moisture to keep the dust down is enough to leave imprints from a 1-ton + tractor (with attachments).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Not only is it safer overall, but I think it rides a lot nicer as you typically mow at higher speeds than when using your FEL. That naturally creates more bounce on anything but the smoothest terrain.

Even if I was in a rush, I'd take off the bucket from the FEL. That by itself makes a world of difference in comfort, stability, and maneuverability.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have plenty to space to mow so I leave FEL on but remove the bucket. If I am doing FEL work, I will decide if I need to remove MMM deck or not.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I go against the stream here. My lawn was laid out so I never have to take the Fel or Bh off when I mow. The tractor was designed to use it with all 3 attachments on. I have mowed with just the mmm on and yes the tractor is lighter and turned easier but in my situation it didn't really gain me much. I still mow in high and yes the tractor will bounce if you try to mow with your foot to the floor but I dont mow like that anyway. I put the pin in to keep the bh up in the travel postion. I also take the time to fill in any low or rough spots in the lawn to make it as smooth as I can. Its a work in progress. Now that some disease has killed a bunch of trees I had saved and have) to be cut down I have to figure out do I want to replant new trees in the same spot or remove the stumps and fill in the holes? Plant new trees somewhere else? Maybe once its all said and done I will have it where it makes more sense to take the fel and bh off to mow.

1: my lawn isnt all that big to begin with.

2: with my bad back and the junk seat that is on the one series I cant
run it wide open anymore. Seat change is coming!

3: with the arthritis in my hands it has become a serious struggle to
disconnect/ reconnect the hoses where a year ago it wasn't that
big of a deal. Much easier to drive on /off the mmm with one
lever to raise/lower and a knob to turn. I reach under the tractor
with my pry bar or a shovel handle to flip the lever up when
removing the mmm

4: I always remove the mmm as soon as I am done mowing. I still
use the fel and bh and put my step back on. Can't use the mmm
as a step and it cost to much to repair something on it if left on
while doing dirt work

5: It all really comes down to this. Each individual's situation is
different and i am not mowing any steep hills and if I had to
sidehill I could always swing the bh up hill to transfer weight on
the uphill side and with the fel down low and in low gear and 4x4
engaged I would feel ok. I have had full size backhoes in places
that made you pucker because that was the only way you could
get the job done.

6: Common sense goes a long way! With that being said
experience does to. There is Always something to learn and there
is lifetimes of experiences on this site. You are never to old to
learn something new and there is always a safe way to do the task
at hand. Thats the beauty of all the advice that is given freely on
here everyday. You can take it or leave it... Its your choice! :)

Good luck n enjoy your seat time!

WB

·
Registered
357 Posts
I mow the development road edges with the 1025R & a 3pt finish mower (no belly mower). A large portion of the area being mowed has a significant slope & I mow to the ditch bottom at some points. I initially would remove the FEL before mowing, but found I needed to leave it on to have enough forward weight to provide traction for front wheel assist & to help counter the weight of the rear mower on the slope.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
I go against the stream here. My lawn was laid out so I never have to take the Fel or Bh off when I mow. The tractor was designed to use it with all 3 attachments on. I have mowed with just the mmm on and yes the tractor is lighter and turned easier but in my situation it didn't really gain me much. I still mow in high and yes the tractor will bounce if you try to mow with your foot to the floor but I dont mow like that anyway. I put the pin in to keep the bh up in the travel postion. I also take the time to fill in any low or rough spots in the lawn to make it as smooth as I can. Its a work in progress. Now that some disease has killed a bunch of trees I had saved and have) to be cut down I have to figure out do I want to replant new trees in the same spot or remove the stumps and fill in the holes? Plant new trees somewhere else? Maybe once its all said and done I will have it where it makes more sense to take the fel and bh off to mow.

1: my lawn isnt all that big to begin with.

2: with my bad back and the junk seat that is on the one series I cant
run it wide open anymore. Seat change is coming!

3: with the arthritis in my hands it has become a serious struggle to
disconnect/ reconnect the hoses where a year ago it wasn't that
big of a deal. Much easier to drive on /off the mmm with one
lever to raise/lower and a knob to turn. I reach under the tractor
with my pry bar or a shovel handle to flip the lever up when
removing the mmm

4: I always remove the mmm as soon as I am done mowing. I still
use the fel and bh and put my step back on. Can't use the mmm
as a step and it cost to much to repair something on it if left on
while doing dirt work

5: It all really comes down to this. Each individual's situation is
different and i am not mowing any steep hills and if I had to
sidehill I could always swing the bh up hill to transfer weight on
the uphill side and with the fel down low and in low gear and 4x4
engaged I would feel ok. I have had full size backhoes in places
that made you pucker because that was the only way you could
get the job done.

6: Common sense goes a long way! With that being said
experience does to. There is Always something to learn and there
is lifetimes of experiences on this site. You are never to old to
learn something new and there is always a safe way to do the task
at hand. Thats the beauty of all the advice that is given freely on
here everyday. You can take it or leave it... Its your choice! :)

Good luck n enjoy your seat time!

WB
I understand that it is easier to leave everything, FEL and BH, attached to the tractor and still have the mmm attached. To say "The tractor was designed to use it with all 3 attachments on" Isn't actually accurate.

First, front weight is supposed to be removed from the tractor before driving over the mmm.
[h=3]Installing Mower
NOTE: Remove front weights if equipped before installing mower. Replace weights after mower is installed.[/h]Second, if you have the mechanical mmm lift, your tractor uses the 3 point rockshaft to lift the mmm. If you leave the BH attached while lifting the mmm, the pressure that is required to lift the mmm is being applied to the tank port of the BH control valve. The BH on these tractors is not intended to be left installed when using the mmm. :good2:

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I understand that it is easier to leave everything, FEL and BH, attached to the tractor and still have the mmm attached. To say "The tractor was designed to use it with all 3 attachments on" Isn't actually accurate.

First, front weight is supposed to be removed from the tractor before driving over the mmm.
[h=3]Installing Mower
NOTE: Remove front weights if equipped before installing mower. Replace weights after mower is installed.[/h]Second, if you have the mechanical mmm lift, your tractor uses the 3 point rockshaft to lift the mmm. If you leave the BH attached while lifting the mmm, the pressure that is required to lift the mmm is being applied to the tank port of the BH control valve. The BH on these tractors is not intended to be left installed when using the mmm. :good2:
Personally I remove the FEL and BH when I mow so the neighbors don't think I am nuts...But I have not found any indication that my deck ramps have been compromised by driving over them with the implements attached a few times a year. Its a good idea to take them off but I am not losing sleep over them being crushed. They are over engineered.

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
I mow the development road edges with the 1025R & a 3pt finish mower (no belly mower). A large portion of the area being mowed has a significant slope & I mow to the ditch bottom at some points. I initially would remove the FEL before mowing, but found I needed to leave it on to have enough forward weight to provide traction for front wheel assist & to help counter the weight of the rear mower on the slope.
I would get front weights rather than mow with a FEL on

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Yes you need either the fel or some owners who dont have the fel have to use the suitcase weights to get the ballast weight right. I just leave the fel on when i switch the bh for the 3pt hitch. l am usually doing something I need the fel for anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

[h=3]Installing Mower

Ray, the weights they are talking about removing and reinstalling are the suitcase weights. When they are on they hit the gearhousing on the mmm which prevents you from driving up on the mmm. The mmm was designed to handle the weight of the fel which is right on jd website. Plus you can watch Tractor Tim's video on youtube at tractortimewithtim and see the clearance issue with the weights, have to use your imagination and picture the weights sticking out front of tractor., and see him drive over the mmm with the fel on. I dont have any weights so I can take mmm off and put a weight on to show a actual picture of what they meant by their statement. Maybe someone on here can illustrate what I am saying?

Again, the machine is designed to use all 3 implements in the configuration I use it. Thats the beauty of the 1 series. I screen shot the picture right off the site.

Not being a smartass Ray, just correcting any misunderstanding from the JD site.

WB

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts