Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2520 62D mowing deck blades need resharpening. Hope they come off easily. I was thinking I should take them off and send them out before the grass gets growing.

Reactions: Robnik and Levi

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I sent them out they would be to a sharpening business. I'm a little leery I would not sharpen them properly.
I didn't even think that the dealer might be able to sharpen them. I'll have to call.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I sharpen the blades on my 72" 7 Iron with a air-powered 90 degree die grinder with 2" Sanding Discs. I leave the blades installed with the deck tipped up 90 degrees on its winter storage wheels. Works like a charm. I break the torque on the mounting bolts and re-torque just because. I applied anti-seize to the bolts the first season I had it to ensure they break loose in the future.

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
13,572 Posts
For decades I sharpened them on a bench grinder. Then one year I got the bright idea to take them to a local mower shop for a "professional" sharpening. HAH! They literally ruined my blades and then denied doing so. Never again.

It's now a flap disc on an angle grinder. Takes all of 5-mins per blade.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
For decades I sharpened them on a bench grinder. Then one year I got the bright idea to take them to a local mower shop for a "professional" sharpening. HAH! They literally ruined my blades and then denied doing so. Never again.

It's now a flap disc on an angle grinder. Takes all of 5-mins per blade.
I love those Flap Disks for stuff like that. They don't heat the metal up so much on the sharp edge and do a nice job cleaning up metal to weld on too! The Blue Edge is not what you want on a sharp mower blade. I have had shops destroy my chain saw chains before doing that to them. I like the way a good file sharpens stuff to and no worry about taking the temper out of the edge in the process.

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
I sharpen my own, I use a bench grinder but its not that hard with a file. They also make a really cheap, kind of a cone shaped device, for checking the balance on them.
I used to use a file until I got these Gator blades - file won’t even touch them.

·
Premium Member
13,572 Posts
I sharpen my own, I use a bench grinder but its not that hard with a file. They also make a really cheap, kind of a cone shaped device, for checking the balance on them.
Speaking of those cone devices, have you EVER had a blade with a hole that fit ANY of the steps on the balancing cone? :banghead:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,393 Posts
I don't sharpen blades. Every 2 or 3 years depending on how bad they are I just replace them. :hide:

·
Premium Member
15,323 Posts
I don't sharpen blades. Every 2 or 3 years depending on how bad they are I just replace them. :hide:
WHY :banghead::dunno:

Throwing away $75-100 every 2 years for maybe 15 mins.

I've used bench grinder fro years, now I use 4 1/2" grinder floppy disk.

Takes maybe 1-2 mins per blade. I do them twice a year every mowing season.

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
I replace them every 3rd year!:) Why! Because I can!:flag_of_truce:

·
Super Moderator
8,258 Posts
I guess I'm old school about sharpening my blades. After removing any scale or accumulated grass with a wire wheel I hand file the OEM JD blades and leave about a 1/32" blunt edge on them. I then hang the blade on a 1/2" bolt shoulder to check balance and remove some additional material on the heavy (low) side.

Similar deal with the G6 Gator blades but a hand file won't even touch them. I use my 4 1/2" Black & Decker grinder with a fine disk to sharpen those.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,393 Posts
WHY :banghead::dunno:

Throwing away $75-100 every 2 years for maybe 15 mins.

I've used bench grinder fro years, now I use 4 1/2" grinder floppy disk.

Takes maybe 1-2 mins per blade. I do them twice a year every mowing season.
I've never seen much of a difference in sharpened old blades and I hate the game of balancing the blades. If I sharpen the blades twice a year I'd still be looking at replacing them in 2 or 3 years.
It has worked for me for many years.

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
I've never seen much of a difference in sharpened old blades and I hate the game of balancing the blades. If I sharpen the blades twice a year I'd still be looking at replacing them in 2 or 3 years.
It has worked for me for many years.
I will admit that I did sharpen my Gator blades today after finishing the underside of the deck. Why? I don't know. They still looked like new - only been 4 or 5 years......

I have no rocks.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
I have a Oregan mower blade sharpener I bought at a auction. It was a lawn service going out of business and everything else went thru the roof but the sharpener went for 75$ it was the professional model on amazon now close to 400$. I keep two sets of blades for all mowers and sharpen then in spring then swap them out when needed. then resharpen them and have them ready for the next time.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts