Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a Ram 1500 on a new car dealers lot. It's a 2005, standard cab with a full bed. Only 54,000 miles on it & really nice condition. Dealer says he put in new ball joints in front, both sides, a new Cat converter & all the hardware & pipe, new & replaced a leaky rear main engine seal which was probably leaking due to old age. Dealer asking $11,250. I started at $7,000. They came down to $10,500 plus tax & tags.

We went back & forth on price. Up & down horse trading. My final offer was $9,000 solid. The manager again said he could not do it for that price because they put a lot into it. I told him, its sitting here, no one is going to buy a standard cab two door long bed except an old man like me & the old guy who traded it in for a new car or four door truck. They laughed at my comment. Then the manager says that it has a few more days on the lot then it will go to auction. I got up & said, "Good Luck getting $10,500 at the auction. You will be lucky to get $6,500 less the auction fees." I guess I hit the sweet spot, because he blushed a little & then smiled. My son in law is a used car salesman & told me when they took it in on trade they paid well below the market value & the repairs they made are within budget on the vehicle. My son in law told me to start at $7 & go no more than 9. And I believe my son in-law to be right on the dealer's investment because when I said to the manager you would be lucky if you got $6,500 less fees at auction, he was embarrassed. Dealer's can be really stupid on how they do business.

While I did not get the deal I wanted, I am a firm believer that no deal is better than a rotten deal. Maybe Viet Nam Kerry could take a lesson from us on how to get up & walk away when it's not in your best interests to offer any concessions beyond the limit you originally set.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Maybe they knew it was one of the trucks Chrysler is gonna buy back??:dunno:

I can not find that list anywhere,,,

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Maybe they knew it was one of the trucks Chrysler is gonna buy back??:dunno:

I can not find that list anywhere,,,
All I've found so far is that the buy backs are 2008+, and only in America so far..... I have a 2008 3500, north of the 49th...

-J.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts