Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I found Sous Vide cooking and we just love it. What it is cooking in a sealed bag in water at the temp you want your food. Sunday night I put frozen sirloin steaks with teraki sauce And a pad of butter in the water bath and set it at 136 degrees when we came home tonight after 23hrs cook time they were perfect. Nice medium rare when I take them out of the bags I pad them off with paper towel and put a small crust on them with a small touch. Medium rare all the way through and by cooking that long very tender. The steaks thawed out then cooked all the way through and held at 136. Does well with fish. And I put ribs in it tonight for a 48 hour cook.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,322 Posts
We don't, yet. We do have good friends that have one, so I've eaten many meals that's have been cooked in one and it is fantastic to say the least.

Your steaks look yummy :eating:

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
driferbike--i have never even heard of this-till now:laugh: when i was a kid, my mom would buy the frozen beef packs that was frozen with gravy. she then would put them packs into boiling water and make us hot roast beef sandwich's with homemade fries back then-good i tell ya.:eat::fed: so i could embrace in how u like this new cooking fad of urs.

we usually got them kind of meals on a Sunday after church, right after my dad would buy a 25 pound bag of new red potatoes, as they was the best to make fries out of. all that with ice cold Pepsi's to wash it down with. darn now i'm getting hungry:banghead:

·
Corndog Hater
11,274 Posts
I've never heard of this and am curious about the long cook time. If you were to immerse a bag of food into a pot of hot water on the stove, it doesn't seem like it would take 23 hours (or longer) to cook. Why the difference here?:unknown:

·
Administrator
17,322 Posts
I've never heard of this and am curious about the long cook time. If you were to immerse a bag of food into a pot of hot water on the stove, it doesn't seem like it would take 23 hours (or longer) to cook. Why the difference here?:unknown:

The point is very low heat and very long cook times to break down the meat and make it ultra tender.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
I have heard of this method, although I have never eaten food prepared in this manner. I understand that there are restaurants that prepare some dishes this way, at least in France. To my knowledge it's not an in thing in Oklahoma as yet. I do know that the low-and-slow technique is the watchword for those of us who like to cook with smokers; brisket especially is cooked at 225-250 F for something like 10 to 12 hours, or until internal temp reaches 190. This low and slow method purportedly allows the tough connective tissue to break down completely while retaining the moisture and flavor.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You can cook in has low has 1 hour if the meat is thawed out. Fish takes half that time. We like our meat medium rare. I put the ribs in frozen with pud of butter and Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Set at 145 for 48 hours then take then out of package pad them dry one brush on a thim coat of sauce put them under broiler 4 minutes to Carmelize the sauce and
they are great. On a thick hamburger cook it at 135 and it gets medium rare all the way thru.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard of this method, although I have never eaten food prepared in this manner. I understand that there are restaurants that prepare some dishes this way, at least in France. To my knowledge it's not an in thing in Oklahoma as yet. I do know that the low-and-slow technique is the watchword for those of us who like to cook with smokers; brisket especially is cooked at 225-250 F for something like 10 to 12 hours, or until internal temp reaches 190. This low and slow method purportedly allows the tough connective tissue to break down completely while retaining the moisture and flavor.
I have a Cookshack smoker and smoke pork butts 13-15 hours for pulled pork and brisket the same way. Ribs are great smoked for three hours @ 225 then wrapped in foil for two more hours. In the Sous vide they get very tender , you don't have to cook them 48 hours.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
You can cook in has low has 1 hour if the meat is thawed out. Fish takes half that time. We like our meat medium rare. I put the ribs in frozen with pud of butter and Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Set at 145 for 48 hours then take then out of package pad them dry one brush on a thim coat of sauce put them under broiler 4 minutes to Carmelize the sauce and
they are great. On a thick hamburger cook it at 135 and it gets medium rare all the way thru.
drifterbike--i prefer my meat well done--at least no pink showing:laugh: i don't believe i could eat that meat in the pics-un-un:munch:

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everybody likes it differently. My sister likes hers well done, like shoe leather. You would set temp at 145-150. Medium well. 155 well done. The hamburger showing med rare thick burger done all the way thru not raw in middle. I learned to eat meat medium rare I feel is more flavorful. To each his own :eat::eat::eat:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't Sous Vide yet, but have friends that do. I would likely use it for reverse searing. Sous Vide a steak until about 10F under your desired internal temp, and then sear on the grill at 600F (or higher) for about a minute (maybe 90 seconds) per side.

·
Registered
595 Posts
We have one of the older style Anova heaters, it works awesome. I've never done anything but steaks, and never more than 2 hours. We put the crust on after with a really hot cast iron pan. It's my favorite way to cook steaks indoors, by far. I'm going to try to crust them on my charcoal grill this summer, when I'd normally just cook them on the grill.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
I have a Cookshack smoker and smoke pork butts 13-15 hours for pulled pork and brisket the same way. Ribs are great smoked for three hours @ 225 then wrapped in foil for two more hours. In the Sous vide they get very tender , you don't have to cook them 48 hours.
I have a Big Green Egg; I cook my ribs at 250 for 2 and 1/2 hours for one of the thinner (Hormel) slabs of baby backs and about 3 hours for one of the thicker (Farmland) slabs of baby backs. The bigger slabs of spare ribs take about 4 hours. FWIW, I posted my recipe for rubb and my cooking method some time back, and it's in the cook book if you want to take a look.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Big Green Egg; I cook my ribs at 250 for 2 and 1/2 hours for one of the thinner (Hormel) slabs of baby backs and about 3 hours for one of the thicker (Farmland) slabs of baby backs. The bigger slabs of spare ribs take about 4 hours. FWIW, I posted my recipe for rubb and my cooking method some time back, and it's in the cook book if you want to take a look.
I usually just "Car Wash Mike" my baby backs in my BGE at 275ish for 5 hours. Spritz them with hard cider/beer every 1/2 hour for the last 2 hours, and add BBQ sauce (typically Bone Sucking Sauce) for the last half hour.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
I usually just "Car Wash Mike" my baby backs in my BGE at 275ish for 5 hours. Spritz them with hard cider/beer every 1/2 hour for the last 2 hours, and add BBQ sauce (typically Bone Sucking Sauce) for the last half hour.
You must like them "falling-off-the-bone" tender. I like a little snap to mine, so I don't cook them quite so long. I also like mine to be a big brown and crusty, so I cook them over direct heat so a lot less time is required. If you have never tried "Woody's Cooking Sauce", I highly recommend it. It is designed as a BBQ sauce to be applied while the meat is being cooked, and the reason I like it is because it is not sweet. Needless to say, I do not like a sweet BBQ sauce. I'll have to check out "Car Wash Mike". I do, however, prefer my own rubb to just about anything I have ever used.

·
Administrator
17,322 Posts
So back to the Sous Vide, on thing that is holding us back in that we do not have a good (or any for that matter) vacuum packer for the meat, so the initial investment will be quite large having to buy both units.

Does anyone have an opinion on the "immersion" style Sous Vide's? They are substantially less money, and well hey everybody already has a pot right?

This for example (just a random one picked on Amazon): https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Immersion-Stainless-Powerful-Operation/dp/B01MTV4EQ7/ref=sr_1_12?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1487188344&sr=1-12&keywords=sous+vide

·
Registered
139 Posts
You must like them "falling-off-the-bone" tender. I like a little snap to mine, so I don't cook them quite so long. I also like mine to be a big brown and crusty, so I cook them over direct heat so a lot less time is required. If you have never tried "Woody's Cooking Sauce", I highly recommend it. It is designed as a BBQ sauce to be applied while the meat is being cooked, and the reason I like it is because it is not sweet. Needless to say, I do not like a sweet BBQ sauce. I'll have to check out "Car Wash Mike". I do, however, prefer my own rubb to just about anything I have ever used.
Nope, not a fan of fall-off-the-bone. Foil can really make ribs soggy, so I typically don't do any 3-2-1 stuff. Because they're never wrapped, they typically cook up just right. I have never seen Woody's Cooking Sauce up here. I'll have to check it out. Penzeys is Milwaukee based, so we have an outlet in Madison where I can grab whatever spices for making my own. I have to do more of that. The Dizzy Pig brand is great for off-the-shelf though.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So back to the Sous Vide, on thing that is holding us back in that we do not have a good (or any for that matter) vacuum packer for the meat, so the initial investment will be quite large having to buy both units.

Does anyone have an opinion on the "immersion" style Sous Vide's? They are substantially less money, and well hey everybody already has a pot right?

This for example (just a random one picked on Amazon): https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Immersion-Stainless-Powerful-Operation/dp/B01MTV4EQ7/ref=sr_1_12?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1487188344&sr=1-12&keywords=sous+vide
I had a Immersion style Sous Vide at first and a polycarbinate tub that worked well. the problem was when i used it for a long cook water evaperated and some one had to add water. The first of december the Sous Vide Supreme was on sale for $350. I grabbed one and then day after Christmas they were $299 so i have two units now which if we are having a large group over it very handy. I also use the two units when i want to do veggies and meat at same time, the veggies cook alot higher temp. i take a 1lb bag of small carrots and seal in bag with 2 pads butter and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, cook at 185 for one hours, dump in sause pan and cook over fire just till the excess water burns off, Delicious. Also the best sweet corn is seal it in bag with butter and cook 185 one hour then serve, the butter is infused right in the corn. When i just had one unit i would cook veggies first the lower the temp down and cook the meat and leave the veggies in with it.

Has far has a vacumn sealer i had a cheap FoodSaver at first. That worked fine but after i really got into it the bags just got to cost too much. Also using a "suction" sealer i could not do any fluids. I now have a Vac Master VP112S Chamber sealer that works super. the bags for it are 3-4 cents opposed to 20 cents for FoodSaver. I know there are bulk rolls of bags for the FoodSaver but even they run 12-13 cents. In the chamber sealer style i can seal home made soups, even custards, my wife likes "Creme Brulee".

When i get home tonight i will get the ribs out and give you a report. Thanks:good2:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts