Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing against parade queens because it is nice to see old machines that have been restored to new condition. I'm just curious if anyone else still uses their 2-cylinder as a working tractor?

My Model M turns 65 years old later this year. It was used to push snow all winter and will be used to mow the lawn all summer plus two cuttings, rakings, and balings on a 20 acre meadow. I've only owned her for three years but before the M, my field work was done with a '52 Model G. The G was great for plowing and for land clearing but it was thirsty and over powered the rest of the time. I do miss the view from the seat of that G though! :greentractorride:
With the switch to 12volt electrics and an electronic ignition, I'd have to say my M is as reliable as any modern tractor. I'd gladly pit it against any newer 20hp machine in any test except an emissions test or an OSHA test! The only thing I wish it had was a gas gauge.

So who else has an old machine that works to earn its spot in the shed?

·
Registered
770 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

I wish I could fit the old "B" I cut my teeth on, between the rows.

The old Iron was perfect. Nothing that wasn't needed, everything that was.

You know of course, that this thread is pointless without Pics right?:D

·
Premium Member
6,031 Posts
I bought my 40S last fall to restore, something I'd wanted for 50 years! Also bought it with the intention of pushing snow with it. Expected to use the 80 blade I've had for 30 years for the first winter, then find a usable front blade. HPIM3273.JPG Found a blade a few days after getting the 40: HPIM1389.JPG

As it turned out we only had a couple snows that required blading this winter, the first being 6" of wet, heavy stuff. The little 40 earned it's keep well: HPIM1489.JPG HPIM1488.JPG

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wish I could say yes, but the old B mostly just rests in the garage. We only have 1 1/2 acres to play on.
It did a great job last year extracting a 30 foot log from a fallen tree that had fallen from the neighbor's property, across a stream bed onto our side of the fence. That had occurred during the winter and they were concerned about it being in my way. We cut up the limbs and such from the top and I said just let the rest go until the ground was dry again and I'd get the rest of the log out so they could safely cut it up for fire wood. The B didn't even grunt and easily controlled the log as it came across the stream bed. pulled it to a spot in my yard where they could get a pickup in to load the cut wood.
The year before, it made quick work of removing some boxwoods and a couple other shrubs my wife wanted removed. She was impressed. She remembered all the digging, chopping, and sweat we endured doing the same thing several years before with the shrubbery these had replaced. The handy garden tractors I have are no match for rooted things without the added labor!
This is a shot of the B waiting to be loaded to go to it's first show. Took 4 years for my son and me to redo it. You fellas already know about the time and $$$$.$$, right? LOL

ready to load 1.JPG

tommyhawk

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately I have no pictures of my machines at work because I am always too busy working :lol:!

Here is my M and snowplow after a couple of my students spent fall semester cleaning it up. That was a few years ago. At first I was worried it would be a bit too small for my little hay operation but the small are often mighty and this is a tough little machine. The only two things I wish it had were a gas gauge (it's a long walk back to the barn for a gas can) and remote hydraulics (only because it limits my implement choices).
image.jpg

Here is my '52 all-fuel G. Ugly but tough. Pulled it out of a fencerow in the morning, monkeyed with it for a while, got it running, and drove it home in time for dinner. Other than lots of grease, oil, and fuel, I put not one single cent into the maitence of that machine for three hard years. There are times I wish I hadn't sold it, but it went to a guy who restored it. I saw it at a show last year and it looked brand new.
image.jpg

And finally, green but not a Deere; my F150 which has logged over half a million miles!
Btw, those are original and non-rebuilt miles. The only major repair work has been to the rear axle and cab floor.
image.jpg
Any machine that tough and reliable deserves to be lumped in with a pair of still working Letter Series tractors! Besides, even though it's a 6 cylinder, it shares the same 4" bore/4" stroke as the M. :laugh:

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
Wish I could say yes, but the old B mostly just rests in the garage. We only have 1 1/2 acres to play on.
It did a great job last year extracting a 30 foot log from a fallen tree that had fallen from the neighbor's property, across a stream bed onto our side of the fence. That had occurred during the winter and they were concerned about it being in my way. We cut up the limbs and such from the top and I said just let the rest go until the ground was dry again and I'd get the rest of the log out so they could safely cut it up for fire wood. The B didn't even grunt and easily controlled the log as it came across the stream bed. pulled it to a spot in my yard where they could get a pickup in to load the cut wood.
The year before, it made quick work of removing some boxwoods and a couple other shrubs my wife wanted removed. She was impressed. She remembered all the digging, chopping, and sweat we endured doing the same thing several years before with the shrubbery these had replaced. The handy garden tractors I have are no match for rooted things without the added labor!
This is a shot of the B waiting to be loaded to go to it's first show. Took 4 years for my son and me to redo it. You fellas already know about the time and $$$$.$$, right? LOL

View attachment 43005

tommyhawk
Nice B. I also like the original muffler. I am not a fan of chrome straight pipes. They need to look like the day they were born.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks, DR. We wanted it back to original too, except for a couple "owner modifications" made by the gentleman who bought it new in 1950. Just a couple! He was pretty rough on it. It sat about 25 years before we got it. It would be easier to describe what we didn't have to repair or replace. LOL
The tractor goes in the door shown in the photo. That muffler rubs the rubber weather seal on the door trim. Kinda like building a boat in your basement! Didn't have to let air out of front tires after all.
I grew up farming with Dad's '49 B. This one is nearly the same.

tommyhawk

·
Corndog Hater
11,773 Posts
I have pics somewhere but can't place them, of the M still in use at my wife's uncles. This place is the family farm, about 50 acres. No farming is done any more but lots of veggie gardening and the fields are still kept mowed. The M shares chores with a Kioti DK. The M pulls a cart and a 5' pull behind bush hog, it's a '47 I believe and it's been in the family since the 60's. Good original condition and still working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use my 1944 B JD with 45 loader on it some. The rest of the family uses a 4020 with a loader so they don't need to use the two cylinders. Brother uses his more as a play toy. But I haul wood from where it is stored outside to the garage with it as well as skidded a few trees out this past winder. Moved my one snowmobile now that I finished working on it to the other shed with it. Unloaded some L&G stuff from a trailer with it. Took my cab on and off with it on the L&G tractor. Moved some ice buildup with it. That is only since November when we brought it back to life after a decade. I restored when I was 10 and now am 30. Used at shows and plow days back then. Then lift happened and the mag stopped working and carb was rusted up inside. Redid those and did an oil change and good to go. Had to rebuild the cylinders on the loader as they rusted (stupid us for not at least greasing). Replaced the hoses as well. Still have a leak out of the hyd pump on the B. Not the control valve-just the pump. But that requires draining both the hyd oil and tranny oil. This summers project.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the ground is finally solid enough to drive my M out of the barn! Maybe tonight I'll finally be able to grade the winter pot-holes out of the driveway.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi All,
I was traveling across southern Minnesota this afternoon and saw a John Deere G pulling an old 6 row planter planting corn. Unfortunately I wasn't able get a photo of it. I also saw a two old Minneapolis Moline G1000's pulling diggers in the same area.

So there are a few people still exercising the old iron constructively these days.

Dave B.

·
Corndog Hater
11,773 Posts
We spent the day at the farm on Saturday, what a great day? Here is a pic of the M moving some stuff around so we could get at other stuff in the barn. It's a 1949 and been in the family a long time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429539404.146714.jpg

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
After spending a day in town for the parade and a bbq, it's time to play my favorite game: The Race to Rake the Hay! I have to have it baled and in the barn by tomorrow night because it is supposed to rain on Monday. Hopefully I can get all 20 acres done by 9:00 because right now the only working light on my M is the one facing backwards! :laugh:

Happy 4th everybody! (And to our northern friends, a belated happy Canada Day!)

Update: I finished raking around 9:45 and got the M all hooked up to the baler for tomorrow. It is supposed to be very sunny and it should warm up quickly, so I'm hoping the dew will burn off fast. It looks like I'm going to have a nice haul.

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
jd model 50

Charley in hay field ears & tail flying 7-3-15.jpg here u go Evergreen, no hay baling here going on, just a little brush hogging on my late uncle's and now my aunt's property(17 acres). probably only 10 acres to mow with the house and small barn they had. this was all grupped by a model 50 too, back in 1967-68, by me and my step granpap. this was on the 4th of july. it gets used every summer to do this mowing and I like to attend 2 functions also with it, this week is our local tractor show I hope to attend this year. big jim

·
Corndog Hater
11,773 Posts
Great pic and story Big Jim?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,464 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That 50 looks good. I've been thinking about getting a 50/520/530 because I can tell my baler is a bit hard on the little M.

i lost track of how many bales I pulled yesterday but it was a good first cut. Sadly no pics because we were under the gun to get the whole field done yesterday. It rained a little last night and there are more storms in the forecast today.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
That 50 looks good. I've been thinking about getting a 50/520/530 because I can tell my baler is a bit hard on the little M.

i lost track of how many bales I pulled yesterday but it was a good first cut. Sadly no pics because we were under the gun to get the whole field done yesterday. It rained a little last night and there are more storms in the forecast today.
Evergreen; are u running antifreeze in the summer or just in winter? my uncle claims his m will hot with antifreeze in the summertime, so he puts water in for summer activetys, now this was 10 yrs ago when he would use it to rake hay, things like that or plow the truck patch for the summer garden. now that it sets he just checks antifreeze and puts a couple drops of rust inhitoribler(I know spelling is wrong). I was just wondering, that's all. thanks big jim:greentractorride:

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
We spent the day at the farm on Saturday, what a great day�� Here is a pic of the M moving some stuff around so we could get at other stuff in the barn. It's a 1949 and been in the family a long time.

View attachment 44190

ColonyPark; first I hope u was able to stay dry today. now-I was revisiting this thread and looking at ur m, I sure like them wheel weights on the rear tires, that should make it bite good. but where's the MMM for it, can't suck grass without the MMM.:lolol::greentractorride: B. JIM

1 - 20 of 58 Posts