Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a western theme daddy daughter dance. I have never even thought about wearing a cowboy hat, but now I am surfing sheplers and ebay trying to figure out what might look OK. There is no place in town to buy them, that I know of. Maybe Tractor supply company?

Fur, felt, wool, leather, stetson... OMG

Any help?

·
Administrator
17,982 Posts
I wear one frequently. TSC has a good selection of straw hats, about $50 or so. Buying online is tough, unless you know your head size (insert joke hear:laugh:)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm a cowboy hat wearing son of a gun. Usually get most of my hats from Sheplers. I don't have time to go to Ft Worth just to get custom fit hand made hats near the stockyards.

As unforgiving as our hot weather is down here, I'd be fried pretty crispy if I didn't wear hats. They are a must.

The warmer times of year, we wear straw. Then when summer is over we switch to felt or whatever looks good.

·
Administrator
17,982 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
During the warmer weather months, one wears a straw hat, so it can breath. During colder months, a felt hat is in order.

I don't wear them much anymore, except for the occasional photo shoot, but I used to keep two creased and ready for the rodeo events that I was competing in. One was straw, the other red felt.

·
Administrator
17,982 Posts
What do the Justin 2x and 3x mean? they are not talking head size. Is that total hat size?
The number of X's indicates the quality and thickness of the felt. More X's, more $$$.

·
Registered
11,912 Posts
Nice hat, Brian. This was an educational thread.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I'm late to the party, but another hat wearer here as well. TSC carries some, Co-op has a few, most horse tack shops will have a selection as well. IMO, most hats you will find in those shops are fairly similar. The X rating varies from maker to maker, not all of the 2X hats are the same quality.

Fitting one can be tricky, beyond hat size you also need to know if you're a particular shape. I'm a 'long oval', so regular hats in the same size don't fit me properly, and finding a LO hat in a retail shop is tough.

I have a Stetson that I had a hat maker block out to a LO, it fits okay but the crown is short. It's a good 'beater' hat. I'm kicking around having another one custom made, just haven't gone for it yet.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Thanks for walking me through this Kenny. I ordered this one.

Well, you know good guys wear white hats and bad guys wear black hats. Are you trying to tell us something here.:mocking:

Dave

·
Administrator
17,982 Posts
Well, you know good guys wear white hats and bad guys wear black hats. Are you trying to tell us something here.:mocking:

Dave
I usually wear white, just sayin' :laugh:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm more Aussie...

Cabelas has the less expensive stetsons, but I get that you already got one... and also the some of the ones that are for rain gear.
When I started riding horses 5 years ago... we've been caught in some pretty bad weather, and still have to run dogs. So I purchased the drover and hat at the same time, and have never looked back.

It's not straw, and not felt, it's oilskin, and needs to be oiled from time to time, but it keeps me dry, and honestly the extra brim is pretty handy at keeping the rain off the face, and back of the neck.

I get some interesting looks when I show up to work in my Carhart and Aussie hat when it's raining out. I'm the IT manager so it doesn't really process with some people.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Don't be shy to take your new hat in to have it steamed, shaped, and stretched a bit if needed.....will make a world of difference if the fit isn't just quite right.....

I too am a bad man Brian - 2 blacks and one white....

-Jer.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,486 Posts
I've used Sheplers for many years, good store, but they get ya on shipping, I still use them.
I've had/have Resistol, Stetson, Wrangler. Like the Resistol straw the best.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts