Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a old jimmy w/ v6 leaking on left side. Not too much smoke/steam yet but oil dipstick full of water. Anyone have luck with pour in repair and brand used? Should I put new oil & filter on first or just drain down till fixed then change. I know it's not right, but not a vehicle to depend on long haul and not worth $ pulling head.

Sent from the mountains

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
I would say a liquid "fix all" never really works. If it's not worth fixing, than you have nothing to lose. The only experience I've had with these additives is they plug stuff up that you don't want plugged.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Have a old jimmy w/ v6 leaking on left side. Not too much smoke/steam yet but oil dipstick full of water. Anyone have luck with pour in repair and brand used? Should I put new oil & filter on first or just drain down till fixed then change. I know it's not right, but not a vehicle to depend on long haul and not worth $ pulling head.

Sent from the mountains
I have a case of Doc Holiday snake Oil elixir I can let you have real cheap. Good for everything including the common cold. :gizmo:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have a case of Doc Holiday snake Oil elixir I can let you have real cheap. Good for everything including the common cold. :gizmo:
I don't need anything that good or permanent, just a quick fix. Not anything I plan on keeping and is one step away from scrap or parts. 4x4 still works good

Sent from the mountains

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
TNMAN, I think u kinda answered ur question, if it's already on its last leg, what's to lose-right, just the price of the sealer product. maybe MADDOG would let u have a little sample of his DOC HOLIDAY ELIXAR to add it might just save the old jimmy from the scrap yard.:lolol::pickup: who knows after that fix u might be as happy as this driver in this truck. big jim

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not a bad looking little SUV. In my younger days, I wouldn't have thought twice about pulling the heads & fixing it right. Just don't have the time or desire to tackle it now.
I'll give it a try, and if it doesn't work it'll be someone else's baby.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446696008.206859.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446696030.931958.jpg

Sent from the mountains

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've had good results with the stuff.

I have had good results using Blue Devil gasket sealer. I've used it twice now and it worked both times. First time was on a small chevy compact that I had as kid. A little 4 cylinder hatchback that only ran on three cylinders because I broke a plug when trying to change the plugs. Car wasn't worth anything and the head gasket started to go so I wasn't going to put any money in it. Drained half the radiator/ removed the T-stat and put the blue devil in. I got another year out of it (about 12k miles) before the gasket started going again.

I just used it again recently for an old Avery tractor that I recently bought used that to say the least the engine is tired. Biggest problem is the Hercules engine it has is virtually impossible to find parts for. Noticed some white smoke blow by coming out the exhaust. Used the Blue devil again and it seems to have stopped for now. The tractor is just used for low RPM tractor cultivation so I feel confident in will hold for me.

Like others have said. If you are looking for a long term fix or a repair than a head gasket replacement is probably the best option but if you are just looking to get a little longer life out an engine before it croaks it's a pretty cheap alternative.

If you have ever overheated the engine the stuff is almost certain not to work. It does great a fixing small blemishes in the gasket but won't do a darn thing for a warped head.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Used the Bars Leak head gasket repair with Sodium Silicate today $45. Worked like a champ ... So far!
No smoke/ steam, overheating, nothing clogged, except head gasket . Restored power, runs smooth, no mixing of oil/ coolant. It was running rough before. Drained out at least 10 qrts milky oil after first step/ run. Changed oil/ filter, 2nd step, ran at 1200-1500rpm 15 min... Fixed! It's a good candidate for the snow & salt to come now.
I don't need no steeking head gasket..lol

Sent from the mountains

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sorry for the side :hijacked: track, but that is one of my favorite movies!

Classic...Love it. !
Watched the movie cpl weeks ago

Sent from the mountains

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
568 Posts
are you sure its the head gasket. could be lower intake gasket leaking into crankcase if it has the plastic gaskets its a common problem. the 4.3 is a very good engine. do you have lots of pressure in the cooling system? unless it was overheated head gaskets on these arent to common

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, not absolutely sure it was head gasket.lt had the classic symptoms though. What ever it was the stuff fixed it. Guess I got lucky

Sent from the mountains

·
Registered
23 Posts

Sent from the mountains
I have no first hand experience, but the reviews I have seen seem to be evenly split between "it worked", " it did nothing ", and " now it's worse than before. "

I certainly wouldn't use it in anything I care about. Here's a good video showing why, and what you'll find in the engine after using this sort of product:

https://youtu.be/ePlQXk4Vb5k

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
hopefully it fix's it for a good long while those blazers are great. full size truck drive train engine/tranny in a small truck with decent mpg's for a suv anyway
and the automatic 4wd selection is slick.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I hope it lasts a long time. It was a $600 purchase with 173k miles so no plans of long term ownership. The motor does sound surprisingly quiet for the miles. Plenty of power now and shifts smooth. I just spent $1200 on a BMW for water pump and a few other things. I'd never pour any quick fix in it. All I can say is if the situation calls for trying in, get the good stuff. I think you really be in for disappointment & more problems with $10 stuff.

Sent from the mountains

1 - 17 of 17 Posts