Green Tractor Talk banner

Does power matter with a Post Hole Digger? 1025 vs 4052

6K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Gizmo2 
#1 ·
It is time to invest in a decent post hole digger. My dilemma: to buy one for the 1025R or the 4052M (double the horse power). I guess I could one day use a gigantic auger, but I have aspirations to buy an excavator.

I mostly want to concrete 6x6s and 8x8s for small building projects. Battling rocks and roots is an issue.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Robnik
#2 ·
I don’t have a ton of experience with a tractor post hole digger. My family got one for our 3 series but quickly realized it was near unusable due to the clay we had a lot of. It wasn’t a power issue, it was a weight/downforce issue to get it to hook up. We sold it shortly and got a Dingo skid steer to use for post hole digging because unlike a 3-point it has power down and since it’s hydraulic you can reverse the auger spin if you hit a root/rock. So that said I’d look for the heaviest 3-point hit post hole digger you can find. Or just modify one to add weights, I’ve seen a lot of those type of mods. As for HP the Dingo is ~25 HP and has never felt like we needed more for driving the auger so I think the 1025 would cut it power wise. Can the 1025 lift a long enough bit for what you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

#5 ·
I don’t have a ton of experience with a tractor post hole digger. My family got one for our 3 series but quickly realized it was near unusable due to the clay we had a lot of. It wasn’t a power issue, it was a weight/downforce issue to get it to hook up.
Don't some post hole diggers have an option to add a hydraulic cylinder for down force?

#3 ·
I wouldn't worry about the power much just the lifting height. I have the 1025R with a PHD and it will barely lift the auger high enough to clear the ground. And that's with the shortest augers you can get.

#9 ·
Went with a green PHD400 to get depth on the 4052M. Won’t be digging anything until the ground dries a bit more though.

The 2 finalists were this one and Everything Attachments’ 6900HD. The wait time, not the money, was the final decision maker.

#11 ·
Sounds like a wise decision to me! Maybe consider the down-force option as well while you are at it.

#10 · (Edited)
Lift power, and tractor weight (on the front end) are very important.
PTO horsepower is important too.

I love my 1025R, but quite frankly, a post hole digger is not well suited for it.
Here are my results. Moving the 3 pt control even a 1/4" might make the auger flatten the rear tires, and dig in 6 inches, killing the tractor. since the tractor doesn't have enough lift capacity, it cannot react to pull the auger back up out of the suction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.