Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This picture shows a residue on the hydraulic cylinders. This is on the cylinders to move the boom to the left or right and it is the only picture I have at the moment. But I am seeing this on the boom cylinder as well as the dipper cylinder and bucket cylinder of the 8B BH. I would just like your professional opinions on the matter. If they need replacement then that is what I will do. I need to replace them the bucket cylinders on the 300CX but one of those is actually leaking fluid. None of these are leaking fluid.

Thanks for your help.

Green Motor vehicle Machine Gas Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Other than maintanence issues, topping off fluids etc., I'm it the "If it's not broke, don't fix it" crowd. I think those residue stains are acceptable. Obliously, if you've got one 'leaking', it's got to be addressed. You might just want to run your hand over those swing cylinders rods (when extended) and see if you can detect a burr. But at this point, I'd leave them alone. ~Scotty

·
Administrator
22,404 Posts
It looks like the "wiper" seals are starting to wear, I would not worry about it till they start leaking.

Reactions: robpm

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kenny. Here is a follow up question on this topic.

As I keep looking at prices for items from JD that I would like to get over the past 12 months I have seen increases of some stuff close to 40%. In light of that I have been thinking about purchasing the seal kits for these different cylinders since they all are having the same problem on the 8B as I use it. It sat and was never used for 7 years so I am guessing that is why this is happening. The only cylinders I am not seeing this on is the stabilizers. Are these seal kits unique to JD/Amerequip or can a hydraulic shop supply one with the needed kit? If the latter than I am willing to wait until they truly need it otherwise if it is specific to JD/Amerequip than I am thinking about getting them and putting them on the shelf for a rainy day. I am guessing that this 8B BH is on its way out with the 4005 since they don't give you much info on it. I know that some of the parts you can no longer get. I have actually spoken with one of the engineers at Amerequip about some of it. Of course I may never need them and that would mean money spent for nothing or for the next guy that might have a real need for them. I am guessing the shelf life on them will be OK. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
22,404 Posts
To my knowledge, there is nothing special about the seals.

Any local hydraulic shop should be able to get them-if you take them your old ones to compare.

You can also get them online...but you must be able to accurately measure and identify the type/style of seal you have and need. Here is one such place that was recommended to me by an old friend in the business: Hercules Sealing Products-Hydraulic cylinder repair seals and seal kits, replacement cylinders and cylinder components for construction and many other heavy equipment industries.

Since your 'hoe sat unused for so long, I suspect the wiper seals are just dried out, hard and possibly cracking-especially if it was stored outside.

If you want a "kit" of all the seals needed, then JD is probably the only source I would suspect.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To my knowledge, there is nothing special about the seals.

Any local hydraulic shop should be able to get them-if you take them your old ones to compare.

You can also get them online...but you must be able to accurately measure and identify the type/style of seal you have and need. Here is one such place that was recommended to me by an old friend in the business: Hercules Sealing Products-Hydraulic cylinder repair seals and seal kits, replacement cylinders and cylinder components for construction and many other heavy equipment industries.

Since your 'hoe sat unused for so long, I suspect the wiper seals are just dried out, hard and possibly cracking-especially if it was stored outside.

If you want a "kit" of all the seals needed, then JD is probably the only source I would suspect.
Kenny, the nice thing is that it did not sit outside, it was garaged all that time but it still sat unused so your conclusion is probably right. Two questions for you:
1. So are you recommending that JD would be the best place to get the complete set of all the seals for these cylinders?
2. If I buy them and keep them on a shelf in their packaging do you think that they will last if I don't replace them over time?

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Not wanting to 'Split' your conversation with Kenny........

.......but if I were you, I'd only buy the fresh seals that you needed and were going to install. I 'know" me! I'd lose, misplace, damage, or forget what they were for, before I ever needed the future replacements. I'd also suggest that once the seals are identified, you shop at a local Hydro or bearing shop for your best price, on fresh stock. ~Scotty

·
Administrator
22,404 Posts
Two questions for you:
1. So are you recommending that JD would be the best place to get the complete set of all the seals for these cylinders?
2. If I buy them and keep them on a shelf in their packaging do you think that they will last if I don't replace them over time?

1. I thought I was pretty clear above, let me try again: Unless you want to take the old seals to a local shop for them to match up, or have the ability to identify and measure your old ones to buy them online, then Yes-the "kits" from JD is the best way.
2. I would wet them with hydraulic oil, keep in a sealed bag, keep them cool and out of UV light and they should keep for years I would think.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. I thought I was pretty clear above, let me try again: Unless you want to take the old seals to a local shop for them to match up, or have the ability to identify and measure your old ones to buy them online, then Yes-the "kits" from JD is the best way.
2. I would wet them with hydraulic oil, keep in a sealed bag, keep them cool and out of UV light and they should keep for years I would think.
Sorry about the thickness of my head. Now I understand you clearly and thanks for the advice on the seals. That will save me some money. I have a humongous hydraulic shop in downtown Patterson not far from me and they make hydraulic cylinders and rebuild them etc. so I should be set and as you say I am guessing that they will be a lot less expensive at the end of the day.

Thanks again Kenny for your time and patience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.