Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20161214_142407.jpg

Ran over to South Carolina today and this happened on my way back. Pressures were good before I left, so I don't really know what happened. Where I was on 85, the shoulder was too narrow to pull off. I'm talking big concrete wall and a shoulder half the width of my F150 too narrow. I guess I drove a quarter mile before I could get over to change it. It bent the rear lower part of the fender in, I had already pulled it out when I snapped this picture. It's a little nerve racking with 8 lanes of traffic wizzing by you. Luckily it was on the passenger side, so that made it a little safer.

Although I had everything that I needed, there are things that would have made it easier. I'm going to get off of my rear end and put the toolbox on the tongue of the trailer to carry some dedicated tools.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Pleanty of air just not enough Rubber. I once had that happen with a car on the trailer and had no spare. I ended up tighting up the torsion bar on the equalizer hitch and ran on three tires. worked fine the 120 miles home but I never left home again with out a spare. Glad to hear no one was hurt.

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
View attachment 280914

Ran over to South Carolina today and this happened on my way back. Pressures were good before I left, so I don't really know what happened. Where I was on 85, the shoulder was too narrow to pull off. I'm talking big concrete wall and a shoulder half the width of my F150 too narrow. I guess I drove a quarter mile before I could get over to change it. It bent the rear lower part of the fender in, I had already pulled it out when I snapped this picture. It's a little nerve racking with 8 lanes of traffic wizzing by you. Luckily it was on the passenger side, so that made it a little safer.

Although I had everything that I needed, there are things that would have made it easier. I'm going to get off of my rear end and put the toolbox on the tongue of the trailer to carry some dedicated tools.
Bubber-sorry about ur blow out, must of picked up a nail.

hey-got a question for u, in ur pic u are using a chain to tie something down. what size is that chain? man-in the pic it look's big enought o tie a D-9 down with. just curious!:munch: p.s. i have a tool box on my tongue of trailer and love it. but have no jack in it. i've thought about buying that floor jack at harbor freight for in it. cause it's low enough to slide underneath axle.

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
Sorry bubber! I assume you were going for the lumber. You'll score enough brownie points to make the blow out seem like no big deal. Glad you got it changed ok and home safe.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
View attachment 280914

No, you are good. LOL

·
Premium Member
14,896 Posts
Glad to hear things are working out OK.

Years ago my SIL found a old steel not aluminum toolbox thinking 4' type. There is no way you can add anything to the inside , I'm thinking it has added close to 100# to his tongue weight. Plus his trailer is only a single axle 12' with wire mesh floor. He had a pretty light trailer till he added the toolbox , his dad and myself tried to tell him.:dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Just a skosh low but hey what do I know. :dunno: A 3ft 6x6 with a 30deg angle on one end and a socket set is all you need. Oh yea and a tire.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bubber-sorry about ur blow out, must of picked up a nail.

hey-got a question for u, in ur pic u are using a chain to tie something down. what size is that chain? man-in the pic it look's big enought o tie a D-9 down with. just curious!:munch: p.s. i have a tool box on my tongue of trailer and love it. but have no jack in it. i've thought about buying that floor jack at harbor freight for in it. cause it's low enough to slide underneath axle.
The chain is on these: 2" Ratchet Strap w/Chain & Hook | RatchetStraps.com

Not sure of the chain size exactly, but here are the specs:

Ratchet 11,000 lb B.S.
Web 12,000 lb B.S.
Chain and Hook 10,000 lb B.S.
Assembly 3,335 lb W.L.L

I really like the strap/chain combo. They are what I use on the 2032r.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry bubber! I assume you were going for the lumber. You'll score enough brownie points to make the blow out seem like no big deal. Glad you got it changed ok and home safe.
Yup, that was it. My board foot price went up with this. :laugh:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,832 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Looks better than the trailer flat I had. Mine was just like yours, only the tread section was wrapped around the axle behind the brake assembly. :banghead: Glad you got the tire changed, keeping some tools on the trailer is an excellent idea.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Looks like a Run Flat or you could say Ran Flat.

Sorry you went through that, these things never happen st opportune times

·
Registered
4,099 Posts

Ratchet 11,000 lb B.S.
Web 12,000 lb B.S.
Assembly 3,335 lb W.L.L

Good strapping. Very similar to the ones I ordered early last year, only mine were 4 inch wide and 10ft long. Mine were yellow. 10ft were $48.00 each. The chain takes the beating against the hook railing along the side and on the tractor end, saving wear and tear on the strapping. These things are heavy.

They don't seem to have the 10ft any longer, which is a bummer. https://www.shipperssupplies.com/4-custom-ratchet-strap-w-chain--hook

webstrap.jpg

Dave

·
Registered
12,487 Posts

Ratchet 11,000 lb B.S.
Web 12,000 lb B.S.
Assembly 3,335 lb W.L.L

bubber-thanks. i seen ur pics in ur thread about ur wanting old wood. and then i figured they was the rest of the story.:laugh:
i have similar type strap's i had to buy back in 92, when i started flat bedding in the steel business. but heck mine are 20 ft long ones. i paid $32 a peice for mine then. i could make 10 fter's out of a few of them. heck i only have 8 of them. but u know how a fella hates to cut things up. i would never be able to sew them cut ends back on. but at the same time--i don't think i'll ever be hauling anything on a flat bed again in my life.
according to these prices, i bet mine would cost over 50 to 60 bucks now. lots of people have borrowed them over the yrs, but the straps have held up wonderfully, and i spray the gear parts down with PB BLASTER once a yr.
them tongue tool boxes are not heavy, mine was actually too tall for yrs, and just this summer i got the boy to cut it down in height, i bet it doesn't weigh 50 lbs. even before that. it was aluminum. i paid 100 bucks for mine 02, i can buy one for around the same price now. lots of them to chose from.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Dan,

Unfortunately tires have an expiration date. The rubber deteriorates over time and I think the tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires every seven years now. The problem is who is going to replace perfectly good tires (or so they seem) that often on a seldom used trailer. You may want to evaluate the age of the other tires and the spare you used prior to the next time you use the trailer. Glad that you and everything made it home safely. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That tired died because it wanted too so don't feel bad. Trailer tires are now made in China, all of them from what I have seen and none of them are meant to last. Carlisle, Good Years, etc. I have a 28 foot haulmark tandem axle and I have been through more tires than I can count, I am happy if I can get close to 10k miles out of them. It doesn't matter if it is a D or E rated tire, balanced or unbalanced, they simply do not last as long as you think they should. As soon as I start to see unusual wear on them, I will replace it if I am going on a long trip. I usually carry two spares, but I am THAT guy who will use them both on a long haul. :laugh:

I do not use a jack. My trailer is rated to carry 10k so that eliminates most floor jacks and bottle jacks are PIA (if its your only option...it's your only option) and time consuming.

I use one of these JEGS Performance Products 80392: Trailer-Aid Ramp Lift: 5-1/2" | JEGS If I have a flat and am on the side of the road and I can have it changed out in about 15 minutes or less. You just roll up on it with the good tire and it lifts the flat one up enough to remove it. Well worth the money and it is a whole lot lighter than a jack! I would not be too concerned about running on three tires, I have done that several times with no ill effects on handling or the trailer. A lot of times I won't even feel the tire blow if I have a heavy load. Usually it's the freaked out drivers behind me that let me know...I tow my trailer with a 1 ton dually so sometimes you never feel them go. If you don't want to spend the money on one, you can piece together something similar with 2x6's, a much cheaper deal.

I also travel with one of these Q Industries SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor — 12 Volt, 120 PSI, Model MV50 | Inflators| Northern Tool + Equipment and an extra car battery to power it. If I get a low tire on my trailer or truck, it is a real PIA to get it filled at a gas station these days so if I am on a cross country trip I just throw this in the trailer and go. Yes, this one is a little expensive but it puts out enough pressure to actually fill a tire in a decent period of time. The cheaper versions of these simply do not work for trailer and truck tires and their reliability is pretty suspect. I have learned all of these lessons the hard way so hopefully someone can use them. :greentractorride:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts