Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Moth balls conquer squirrels and rodents, I've placed them in my engine bays in small plastic mesh fruit/veg bags ty-wrapped to the places they had built nest. No more damage!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Wi Had a chipmunk that liked or VW van in Seattle stashed the whole area under the cowling with nuts and seeds.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We adopted a stray cat that showed up one day. It lives in the backyard and is a great hunter. I find dead chipmunks, rats and mice all the time.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully the barn cat leaves its presents/trophies for you outside and away from the house doors.

·
Registered
390 Posts
honda has parts made out of soy beans, going green, after the second time spending $600 to get it fixed, they said they had a spray that they could put on it to prevent it, duh, the honda is history.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We've had thousands of dollars of damage. The largest bill came on our '05 GMC 3500 when the red squirrels and chipmunks ate through the wire harness - had to have it towed for a total cost of $1200. They also got into our fifth wheel camper; left a 5 gal bucket of nuts in the underbelly skirts and chewed through the wiring and plywood in the area.
My solution was poison in the camper, 22 in the backyard, and a trap with free scuba lessons. They never did get the hang of scuba diving.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
honda has parts made out of soy beans, going green, after the second time spending $600 to get it fixed, they said they had a spray that they could put on it to prevent it, duh, the honda is history.
They arent unique to this. Most manufacturers are doing this now, so unless you plan to drive something old, its going to be an issue.
Prevention is best.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A buddy of mine and I having been discussing this issue and he told me the steering wheels on old cars were made of an early soy bean based plastic that cracked and shrank to where you could see the steel armature holding the plastic. I suspect that material was developed during WW2 to conserve petroleum for the war effort, and was used afterwards when a car reaching 100,000 miles was a rarity.

Now what cracks me up with this soy based wiring insulation is that the idea is to be environmentally friendly. Well I don't consider it environmentally friendly if perfectly functioning products are prematurely ending up in landfills and scrapyards because of placating the Tofu Warrior Greenies.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I can't see it being very good for the environment when we have to resort to poison and high velocity lead projectiles to eradicate the vermin.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The critters will eat on just about anything they can reach, if they are hungry enough (always), and can go through surprising things given time and access. If they like it, they just eat more of it.

You might like this one. I opened an empty 5 gallon bucket I was saving for later when I noticed a hole through the side near the top of the bucket. I took the lid off and found 2 dried out mouse bodies. They did it to themselves.

Reactions: Poppi and mjncad

·
Registered
595 Posts
I might add that critters ate the ignition wiring on both our vehicles once. They were a pain to fix, nor all that cheap for wire and special connectors - dealer items. They have eaten a few other things I wish they hadn't. And some they wish they hadn't.

Reactions: mjncad
1 - 14 of 14 Posts