Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a rubber scraper on my 54"JD plow with a 1025R and only used it a couple times before selling the whole rig. I noticed some chatter from the blade depending on speed. If I slowed way down to a crawl, it wouldn't chatter as it scraped across the asphalt but speeding increased the chatter.

I have just started plowing with a new rig (72" CTA blade with another 1 inch thick rubber conveyer belt scraper hanging about one inch below the steel blade) and this one is chattering too. I tried it on another surface that was hard paced snow and it wanted to chatter on that too. If I angle hard I can reduce the chatter and sonetime eliminate it. I suspicion that I might not have enough rubber hanging below the blade and there is no give in it causing it to chatter. I also wonder if the blade attack angle could be at play. Anyone experience this and get it worked out?

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Yup, varying down pressure and speed will change the amount of chatter.

·
Administrator
19,812 Posts
My urethane edge chattered some when it was new, but once worn in a bit it's now smooth and quiet.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How thick is the Deere squeegee JDGreen?

Ken, I am starting to consider the urethane one. Is it gentle on the asphalt?

·
Administrator
19,812 Posts
Ken, I am starting to consider the urethane one. Is it gentle on the asphalt?
Yes, very. I do several long asphalt drives here on my street, I wouldn't have anything else.

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
1” thick and 1” below. Seems too thick and too short to bend so it try’s but chatters. Most I have seen on here have been a 1/2 thick and 2” down but I think the plows are lighter. My plow is 500lbs so I went 1/2“ thick and 1.5 down and it works excelent.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Herm, that's my assumption as well, just too rigid with only an inch hanging down there. I am tempted to re-drill the holes an inch north of where they are now and see how it goes but at only 4" wide and drilled in the center now, that's not a lot of real estate to depend on to hold the rubber secure.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Herm, that's my assumption as well, just too rigid with only an inch hanging down there. I am tempted to re-drill the holes an inch north of where they are now and see how it goes but at only 4" wide and drilled in the center now, that's not a lot of real estate to depend on to hold the rubber secure.
Do you have it mounted between the plow and metal wear edge? Going up 1/2" - 2/3" might get you more real estate and the metal wear edge bar should provide enough friction/structure to help keep the integrity of the rubber.
Since I just flipped my edge, I think I'm going to try this since I won't be flipping it over again (already worn out one edge).

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
I did mine a bit different but I suppose it depends on the plow. My scraper blade is 6 inches tall so I drilled holes through the scraper blade and then trapped the rubber strip between it and a 1-1/4” strip on the front side. The bolts are every 6 inches.

1FFE7692-8804-440F-987A-4BADB35D3542.jpeg

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a lot of drillin' Herm. Another view with more detail. I'm somewhat convinced that my scraper is not mounted with enough below the steel. It can't give at all being an inch thick.
20210223_131322-1.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
This thread caught my attention since I'm picking up my new 66" CTA blade tomorrow morning. I ordered a rubber cutting edge to put on it as well. The rubber edge is 5" x 66" x 1". My current 54" Deere blade has a rubber edge on it and it's 1.5" below the metal edge and 1/2" thick. I was going to extend the rubber edge on my new blade 1.5" below the metal edge and see how it worked. I've been trying to come up with a way to "dry run" the edge on the blade to determine what length I need to leave below the metal edge. Looks like 1" isn't enough based on this thread.

I'm wondering, base on the picture above, if that once the rubber edge wears a bit and contacts the ground at a flatter angle if the chatter would go away.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
That's a lot of drillin' Herm. Another view with more detail. I'm somewhat convinced that my scraper is not mounted with enough below the steel. It can't give at all being an inch thick.
Yes it is a lot of drilling but it seems easy on a Bridgeport. It almost looks like you could flip the rubber strip and try it.

Reactions: Rhoderman

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheese, I agree that it would be nice to have a way to try different mounting lengths for the rubber scraper but I sure can't think of any. I guess the best option is to have the widest scraper to start off with. I went with a 4" and with the holes right in the center at 2" I don't have a good way to try more exposed scraper. I could drill new holes an inch higher in order to lower the scraper but that might compromise the scraper by having holes close to the edge of the steel. I know this, CTA makes one heck of a quality plow and once I solve this chatter issue I'm going to have a great plowing rig.

·
Premium Member
7,444 Posts
At 1 inch thick I think you could move them up and not risk anything. The strip on mine is just rubber, yours has reinforcement in it. You get that figured out and you will never wear it out.

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cheese, I agree that it would be nice to have a way to try different mounting lengths for the rubber scraper but I sure can't think of any. I guess the best option is to have the widest scraper to start off with. I went with a 4" and with the holes right in the center at 2" I don't have a good way to try more exposed scraper. I could drill new holes an inch higher in order to lower the scraper but that might compromise the scraper by having holes close to the edge of the steel. I know this, CTA makes one heck of a quality plow and once I solve this chatter issue I'm going to have a great plowing rig.
I’ll let you know what I decide to do and how it works. Assuming it snows again after I get the new blade. Rubber edge isn’t supposed to be delivered until Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
12,428 Posts
I'm in the same boat with the edge I ordered for the Boss plow on the Gator. I figured the plow itself was too light as it was riding up over everything with the rubber edge on it. Now I'm wondering otherwise, but mine is drilled in the middle too. Herm's point below is a good one, I may have to look at mine again. I'd sure like to be able to push off into the grass without having to fiddle with the plow control as I approach the grass.

At 1 inch thick I think you could move them up and not risk anything. The strip on mine is just rubber yours has reinforcement in it. You get that figured out and you will never wear it out.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is possible that we won't see a snow event from this point on locally. Our 10 day forecast shows increasing warm temps and that puts us well into March. Might be done fiddling with this until next winter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts