Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
r+NMSkF%RCiGpM5VsLQl1Q.jpg 2j40TNXJSeqJbGh6crC6Kg.jpg EHEIR5WeRLO7BDu090l1rQ.jpg

As you can see, I built them a 100x50ft dog run to go do whatever they want, and they dig up right in front of the gate. Not too big a deal when dry, but when it rains, they look like they been chasing pigs and get all muddy. Got any ideas for a remedy? Gravel? They'd just dig through it. Concrete? Lace it with buried fence?

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Correct the behavior. Building barrier after barrier after barrier is pointless if they aren't taught not to dig through them.

·
Registered
643 Posts
View attachment 690574 View attachment 690578 View attachment 690576

As you can see, I built them a 100x50ft dog run to go do whatever they want, and they dig up right in front of the gate. Not too big a deal when dry, but when it rains, they look like they been chasing pigs and get all muddy. Got any ideas for a remedy? Gravel? They'd just dig through it. Concrete? Lace it with buried fence?
When my dad had a dog run about half the size of yours he did lace it with the same fence he used to build the run I think just the last foot or so he buried but fastened the other end of it to the upright fence. After that the dogs started to climb the fence then he used what I call chicken fence for the top 2 feet of the regular fence.

Doug

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
We've had a couple greyhounds that liked to dig in the fenced in area. I don't know that we ever broke them of it completely, but we used to watch them when they were outside and when the started to dig, we spoke their name and got their attention away from excavating. Then they would go about doing something else. It seemed to cut the frequency down considerably.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Your dog is bored. I see nothing in the kennel for him/her to play with. Putting them in a large fenced in area will not stop the boredom. You could put him in a 5 ac fenced in area they will do the same thing. Take long walks with him, play ball, learn him to hunt things, you hide them he finds them. Start easy then make them hard. Reward when he finds it. I am sorry and no offense to you but putting them in a large cage is not being a dog owner. These dogs, especially, like to please their owner and are very high strung and need to burn off energy both physically and mentally. Make him a part of your daily routine and you will be rewarded for the rest of your life by their actions. Respectably! Billie

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I agree with above, but another trick I leaned was to TEACH them to dig.
If they are taught to dig on command, they do it less on their own. It won't stop them completely, but it reduces how much they dig.
The other thing is they may be getting warm. Do they lay in the holes?
My dogs dig to get to cooler soil to lay in.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:banghead: perhaps I didn’t elaborate enough given the responses.
These dogs get walked twice daily. They are rescues. They get plenty of attention and only get put into the dog run when there’s other stuff going on that doesn’t involve them like welding, cleaning the garage, vacuuming etc. they are not left out there to get bored all day. They are in there an hr or 2 max and want to be with me CONSTANTLY. They do not understand that a welder can blind them, or some strangers are actually out friends or family. The small one (a Texas hurricane rescue I got from PAWS when they had an overwhelming amount of dogs I decided to help) doesn’t dig as much. The big one ( another rescue was growing up in a crate when I got him) is the culprit and my special ADHD ADD AC/DC separation anxiety dog that can’t stand when I leave the room without him no less put him in a kennel for a little while. These dogs get plenty of walks and are spoiled. They sleep in the bedroom with us in their own beds and get biscuits at bedtime. They are our children. They are not being abused. They bark, and the little one has aggression issues were working on, so they need containment at times so being what I think a responsible dog owner should do, I built them their own pen so they can do whatever without me hovering over them correcting them constantly. They are not left to die of boredom in there. They didnt do this at our last house. We’ve only been here less than 6 months and they are still adjusting. I am in the process of building them a lean to/ dog house/ lounge for them. I will get them some toys to play with which I have neglected. I’m sorry. Most of their toys got lost in the move or the just destroy them. I will get more toys. :hide:

I was hoping some farmers had a few tricks up their sleeve for digging animals wether dogs, pigs, chickens. I can bury fence and get some horse mats for near the gate.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If the dog is digging to get to you because of separation anxiety I don't know if you'll remedy that, Gizmo's suggestion of the stall mats around the entrance may work well. Just wait until that dog figures out he can jump the fence!

·
Registered
271 Posts
All my dogs have been rescues of assorted sizes and ages. At the moment we have 4 small ones ranging in age from 13 to 17. We are looking at rescuing a 10-year old from the shelter soon. They have their own door into the house from their double gated puppy park. My thoughts are based on my own experience. Each dog has their own personality and reasons for digging/not digging.

One wants to see what is down there that made a sound (mole or insect) or smells different. These holes can be anywhere. Some join in as competition, not bothering to dig unless someone else is doing it. Some want to get out and explore, meet, chase, defend, or be with their person(s). If they have been neglected or abused, the anxiety to feel safe and wanted with their person can be overwhelming. Boredom can occcur any time regardless of the number of toys or others nearby.

The idea of training them about digging and other behaviors has great merit, but varies with each dog. I am not sure but some dogs may have digging traits in their heritage. Though I have had some purebreeds (rescued of course) most are Heinz 57. Some dig and some don't.

It sounds like yours have a good home and want to be with you as much as possible. When we have to go out we'll leave the radio set to a music station on for them to have some company. It seems to help them feel not so alone. You might give that a try.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Best canine advice I ever received...... A tired dog is a good dog.
Just like kids! :laugh:

I was hoping some farmers had a few tricks up their sleeve for digging animals wether dogs, pigs, chickens. I can bury fence and get some horse mats for near the gate.
As a kid, we had a German Shorthaired Pointer that liked to dig along the fence line. The electric fence wire took care of that.

As an aside, GOOD FOR YOU for rescuing the dogs! I've seen bumper stickers that say "Who rescued who?". I think there's a lot of truth in that.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I agree you sound like a good dog dad so I have nothing to say regarding how or why they are in the run. I stand by this is a behavior problem, not a fence problem. Correct the behavior instead of trying to fight the result of the behavior. A radio training collar works wonders for this to correct the behavior, combined with positive reinforcement to reward not digging.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Going a little further with my last post about exercise -

A couple walks a day may be enough for a lot of dogs. I’ve had English Mastiffs most of my life and you couldn’t even get them to take a walk. Just a very docile low energy dog.

But now, with Jake who is our Border Collie mix rescue, he needs to run. Not go for a couple walks but run. On some long winter days when I wouldn’t be outside with him much he would end up bouncing off the walls. Then I finally figured out - all I had to do was take him outside and let him run for 10 minutes and then he was fine the rest of the day.

Just throwing ideas out there.....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hmmm, maybe the real culprits here:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought of that. We got some moles and field mice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
The dogs may be bored.
Maybe get them some toys to play with, and show them where you need some yard work done. :laugh:

Puppy n tractor.jpg

1 - 20 of 38 Posts