Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frontier PB1001 single bottom plow. Took some adjustments and practice but done for now. This area is about 50 ft by 120. It started out rough so had problems controlling depth. This moldboard plow needs a depth wheel and coulter to cut/flip this grassy area from the past 25 years. I brush cut it three weeks ago. Also learned traction was a serious problem until it dried out a bit. Sure was fun though!
OK, my question: will a 5 ft rotary tiller (future spring purchase) knock this down? It’ll be a rough ride that’s for sure. Took me an hour with power washer to clean the packed dirt from the underneath side of tractor after plowing. Coulda used more ground clearance. Pulled three buckets of rocks out too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
You will be shocked how much smoother it is by spring. This was not as rough as that but freezing, thawing, snow and rain will level it quite a bit.

Plus tilling is slow work but I wouldn’t want to do it now though.:laugh: I would also find a farmer who is selling corn stalk round bales and spread it on it. It would be good to have some of them fall in the gaps in the clay.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
You will be shocked how much smoother it is by spring. This was not as rough as that but freezing, thawing, snow and rain will level it quite a bit.

Plus tilling is slow work but I wouldn’t want to do it now though.:laugh: I would also find a farmer who is selling corn stalk round bales and spread it on it. It would be good to have some of them fall in the gaps in the clay.
I agree with this ^^^^^^^^^^^ by spring that will level itself out much more than you'd think. Don't know if you have disc harrows but if you do that the way I'd go in the spring. Disc it, and then till it.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
You'll be fine by spring. By then I bet I could do it with my 300 and 33 tiller. I do like the round bale idea.:good2:

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
I always wanted to plow up a field not being Farmer! All I ever get to do is get my garden ready each year with a Troy Built Tiller, make roads and ditches with my tractor!! These other guys know more about dealing with Clay then me for sure we don't have any where I live? dirt.jpg This Garden Bed is 23 years old of dumping Cow Poop all broke down over the fence cleaning up the pasture. Makes it easy to till up each year. We raise a Organic Fertilized Garden only from the cows, pigs, rabbits and chickens works for us don't have to buy any extra stuff. I have big hills of it that is ready to use the cows lay on in the winter. If we need a garden spot, flower bed I just get as many bucket loader scoops as I need from them.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Herminator, I agree , let mother nature take care of that clay. Sure would like to see your chisel plow from the rear view and where did you get it, how much HP to pull one?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
OK, my question: will a 5 ft rotary tiller (future spring purchase) knock this down? It’ll be a rough ride that’s for sure. Took me an hour with power washer to clean the packed dirt from the underneath side of tractor after plowing. Coulda used more ground clearance. Pulled three buckets of rocks out too.
Had my neighbor plow my garden one year. Looked worse then what you have going on as he never plowed before. I took my disc to it and smoothed it out before I tilled it. Slow and rough going with the disc but it was fun and did the job.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
May i ask what size garden tractor you used with pb1001. Wanting a plow for 1025. Tiller great but wanting to grow taters too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts