Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a trip to my local JD dealer today to pick up Oil, Filter, Air Filter, and Spark Plugs for my JD 345. While I was there I saw they had a Z920M on the floor with the "ZGlide Suspension forks. I ask the salesman so was tagging behind me, guess he thought he may have had a sale. I ask him what was the advantages were having these $350.00 parts on the mower. He was honest to tell me...none. I agreed with him as I have watched a YouTube video on this and I might say he right. No.1 When the "Torison" type forks move when they hit a object and sway back to the rear, the mower deck drops the same time...making the mower to cut the grass shorter than the normal height of the deck setting. He said, I must have witness this happening. I told him any normal person with a IQ above 50 would see this was a problem.
I told him to correct this from the grass being cut in many places, would be to lower the Anti-Scalp wheels all the way down so the mower rides on the ground and not as a hanger under the tractor. The salesman said that John Deere no longer will install this ZGlide on any Ztraks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Made a trip to my local JD dealer today to pick up Oil, Filter, Air Filter, and Spark Plugs for my JD 345. While I was there I saw they had a Z920M on the floor with the "ZGlide Suspension forks. I ask the salesman so was tagging behind me, guess he thought he may have had a sale. I ask him what was the advantages were having these $350.00 parts on the mower. He was honest to tell me...none. I agreed with him as I have watched a YouTube video on this and I might say he right. No.1 When the "Torison" type forks move when they hit a object and sway back to the rear, the mower deck drops the same time...making the mower to cut the grass shorter than the normal height of the deck setting. He said, I must have witness this happening. I told him any normal person with a IQ above 50 would see this was a problem.
I told him to correct this from the grass being cut in many places, would be to lower the Anti-Scalp wheels all the way down so the mower rides on the ground and not as a hanger under the tractor. The salesman said that John Deere no longer will install this ZGlide on any Ztraks.
That’s interesting. I have never experienced any dips in my grass whatsoever. If for some reason I ever replace mine, I’ll buy another set. As for John Deere no longer installing them, have him call Reynolds John Deere in Indiana.... they’ll be happy to install them.

·
Registered
22,092 Posts
Interesting. This made me take a look at a Ferris zero turn which has had front suspension for a long time. It made me notice how their sustem works and how it compensates to keep the deck level.

The first 30 seconds of this video shows how they do it.

Kunota has a pivoting front axle but didn’t look to see how that works.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have an IQ of..... at least 50

My lawn is a good Mars-rover testing location and I have a keen eye on suspension systems.

I agree the ZGlide suspension, being directly connected to the same frame the mower deck is connected to, can impact deck/cut height. So could a front wheel hitting a sudden rise/fall on one side not present on the other with fixed forks - this type of event would have deck height consistency improved by the ZGlide. There is a limit to how lousy the terrain can be before cut quality is degraded regardless of the suspension system design.

The Ferris system I judged to have too many moving parts and tries to maintain the mower height relative to the suspension response. The Scag cheetah isolates only the driver deck, it too is pretty complex. Both work great, I just did't want all the extra claptrap - completely personal preference.

I see a suspension system as there for the benefit of the driver, not the mowing quality, as first priority (due to living on Mars). I have to adjust overall cut height in rougher terrain. A lot of folks care more about one or the other and that makes markets for each increasingly specialized approach. I think Deere's approach is a compromise between the two (as an 3rd party add on) and as such can be seen as not the best, not the worst, from both perspectives. From a ride standpoint, I bet its better than my hard forks w/ run-flats and at the same time, simple. I'm interested in them but would want to try them before I lay down cash.

I'm interested in feedback on anyone who actually has them/tried them (thanks ISPTrooper!) to help improve the understanding of the benefits and limitations of the ZGlide systems. JD really hasn't brought anything other than seat suspension to market for rider comfort and has addressed cut quality limitations on rougher terrain with very little. Tweels get some spotlight for improved ride/cut quality.

On the opposite end... the run-flat fronts might as well be steel casters. I'd like to get something to take the edge off them w/o reducing my all ready limited cut quality. I will have to follow up with my dealer to find out if they no longer support/sell ZGlides. At last check, they liked them but hadn't sold very many...kinda like tweels.

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some dealers are in the dark

My Uncle and I both happened to by new Z930’s last week (from different dealers). My uncle bought the R series and I bought the M series. Both have the rear Tweels and full suspension seats. But I had my dealer add the Zglides to mine before taking delivery so that they would also re-level the deck as needed. My uncle’s dealer had heard of the Zglides but had never seen any. This is my uncle’s first zero turn, and he mentioned that it sure didn’t ride as nice as the 758 “super garden tractor” he traded in, but I’d warned him before hand that would be the case . I told him he should have gone ahead and got the Zglides. We got the two machines together this past weekend so he could try mine and compare the ride of them, and since I’d seen this post, I thought it would be a good chance to do a fair and unbiased side by side comparison of the two and compare the quality of cut. I can honestly say, there was no difference in quality of cut and no issues with my deck dipping down or springing up due to the flexing of the Zglides. We tried several situations too, like there was parts of his yard where I mowed part with his mower, and then I completed it with my mower, and there was a time we were “tag teaming” it with us mowing in a side by side pattern with him following about 30 feet behind me so that we were getting two swaths per round (like we were playing follow the leader but with him in the outside lane). We mowed in “back-n-forth” patterns at times as well as counter clockwise laps at other times. When we were done with his 4 acres, you could not tell that it was mowed by two machines. The quality of cut was the same. But he did agree that my mower road smoother than his. My previous mower (my first zero turn which I still have) was a residential Hustler Rapture SD. Not long after buying it, I added Hustler’s “Flex forks”, which are the same torsion axle mechanism as the Zglides. It made so much difference in the ride quality that I knew that any future mowers I bought would have to have an option for adding a front fork suspension before I’d consider them. At no time using the Hustler with flex forks did I have any issues with the cut being affected by the suspension forks. Even before I bought my Z930m, I told all my friends that had Z900 series mowers about the release of the Zglides and told them they’d thank after installing them (even though none have done so yet). The availability of the Zglides weighed in heavily on my decision to buy a Deere (but my relationship with the dealership did as well). I see that Zglide is in the process of offering them for Xmark, Skag and Kubota soon. I hope this helps. I would recommend these to anyone that was looking for a better ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was told by my Scag Dealer.......

I was told by my Scag dealer today that if I added zGlides to my new Scag Cheetah, that I may void my warranty because it is NOT OEM parts.

Does anyone know if that statement is true or not?

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was told by my Scag dealer today that if I added zGlides to my new Scag Cheetah, that I may void my warranty because it is NOT OEM parts.

Does anyone know if that statement is true or not?

Thanks!
Anything is possible, I have heard of companies voiding warranty for putting a different brand of grapple bucket on their tractors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anything is possible, I have heard of companies voiding warranty for putting a different brand of grapple bucket on their tractors.
Federal law says a company can’t void your warranty, but can and then only void the part of warranty if they prove your change broke the part you are warranting. Example if you change exhaust and hydraulics go out they have to cover it as change of exhaust can not effect hydraulics

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Again anything is possible but unless the adding on or using the added on piece causes a failure of a factory part, I would not expect any issues with a warranty.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Read up on the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

·
Administrator
20,481 Posts
The MM act is nice, if you can afford the lawyers to go to court and fight for your rights.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The Ferris system is awesome. I sold mine with the big yard house in Wisconsin. Most of the 3.5 acres I mowed was just converted field without a ton of smoothing. It did a beautiful job on the lawn. I knew I was moving to the woods so added in negotiations when we sold the house.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts