Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 year old computer crapped out thanks to me ignoring the fans running longer. The last time I opened it up and cleaned it was 5 years ago when I added memory. This picture of the the 2 ganged fans that sit on top of the heat sink for the CPU says it all.

We pay so much attention to our tractor radiators and grilles for cleanliness, it's easy to forget the "machine" we use to access the forum needs a cleaning every once in awhile.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,303 Posts
Great tip. I can assure you that mine are severely neglected-Those pictures just might shame me into pulling it apart soon!

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
It's not just computers. It's all too easy to forget that every fan needs cleaning once in a while.

Recently had an issue at work with the exhaust fans tripping breakers. Come to find out, nobody had cleaned them in the last 5 years. Blew the fans and motor out, working great now.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Yup, once a year I try to take the covers off the computers and blow the fans out. I replace any that have stopped working and it keeps thing running nice and cool.

A friend's fridge caught on fire because the cooling fan became blocked. It wasn't a fire where the house burned down or something, but the back of the fridge started burning and tripped the circuit breaker. I think modern fridges are sealed in the back (mine is pretty much sealed up), but it is still worth checking on occasion.

Even things like power tools with electric motors in them should have the brushes and armatures blown out with compressed air once in a while. Any electric motor is happier if you keep the dust off of it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
B58Hustler I'd say you processor was running a little hot. I try to clean mine quite often.
We have a dog and a cat and why both are not bald considering the amount of hair we find surprises me.

I usually vacuum the easy areas, and then take the computer case out side, and hit it with canned air.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Another tip: hold the fan blades with a screwdriver or a pencil when you blow them out, or you will over speed them, and damage their delicate little bearings.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Another tip: hold the fan blades with a screwdriver or a pencil when you blow them out, or you will over speed them, and damage their delicate little bearings.
arien great point to remember!

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
That ruins my fun. LOL. Try to see how fast I can make them go :)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
That ruins my fun. LOL. Try to see how fast I can make them go :)
I have to admit, it is kind of fun, they sound like a siren just before they go. Kind of reminds me of spinning wheel bearings with compressed air after washing them in solvent....That's also a big No No.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts