Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this post tonight after getting in from clearing the driveway. Sad way to learn a lesson. That being said these guys did a great job with the recovery.

Here's the link to the story with additional photos: Hamm Lake Recovery

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Water Water resources Watercourse Grass Landscape

Liquid Water Fluid Freezing Melting

Snow Automotive tire Freezing Tree Tints and shades

Snow Sky Tree Freezing Geological phenomenon

Snow Sky Tree Freezing Automotive tire

Snow Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Snow Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tree

Tire Wheel Water Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Snow

· Premium Member
9,329 Posts
Used to go to Tip Up Town every year on Houghton Lake. Was entertaining watching the tow companies getting everything out that fell threw the ice. Every year people would drop brand new truck, snowmobiles threw the ice. Was amazing. Tow companies made lots of money every year.

· Registered
6,335 Posts
Lake gave birth to a nice clean snow blower.

Whats the guess for recovery......5K$

· Premium Member
21,151 Posts
Expensive weekend... WOW

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Fresh water. Drain and refill all fluids, make sure the cylinders are cleared out, probably have to replace some electrical stuff, but it will live again. I'd probably drain and refill everything after a few hours of running again for good measure.
Talk about a bad day though....

· Registered
214 Posts
Fresh water. Drain and refill all fluids, make sure the cylinders are cleared out, probably have to replace some electrical stuff, but it will live again. I'd probably drain and refill everything after a few hours of running again for good measure.
Talk about a bad day though....
All depends how long it was under for, Im guessing awhile to let the ice get thick enough to recover it. One of the local snowmobile clubs had a Snowcat(groomer) go through this weekend. Cheapest way to get it out is the way shown. Its going to cost them around $45K to get it out. Insurance will cover it and most likely a new machine since it has to sit under water for awhile. They called an air lift company to see about using a heli but that was a $150K recovery due to coming from out of State.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
This reminds me of a story and old photos from somewhere in the great white north, maybe Alaska, some kind of mining operation in the 1950's. They sank a Caterpillar D8 or D9 crawler through ice in a lake. They managed to hook on with a diver and pull it out. Built a shelter around it, the story said they had it drained, refilled, and running again in like 8 hours or less.
I'll never forget that story.

· Premium Member
15,286 Posts
All depends how long it was under for
According to the FB post, it went under on 1 Jan and the recovery was 14 Jan. Fresh water. As long as they got on it once it came out it should be ok.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
All depends how long it was under for, Im guessing awhile to let the ice get thick enough to recover it. One of the local snowmobile clubs had a Snowcat(groomer) go through this weekend. Cheapest way to get it out is the way shown. Its going to cost them around $45K to get it out. Insurance will cover it and most likely a new machine since it has to sit under water for awhile. They called an air lift company to see about using a heli but that was a $150K recovery due to coming from out of State.
Yep...time is critical. Once bare metal starts to corrode it's a whole other ballgame.

· Premium Member
15,286 Posts

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Hope the engine was off when it went under water!
I've seen videos of people with less than enough presence of mind sinking on a tractor, bulldozer, snowmobile, etc, and they never shut it down. You see the water splashing off the fan and maybe some gurgles out the exhaust and you know one or more connecting rods are now a different shape.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Likely not.
It looked to me like it was sitting above water plenty long enough to shut it off before the intake went below the water line. I sure hope anyway, haha.

· Premium Member
15,286 Posts
It looked to me like it was sitting above water plenty long enough to shut it off before the intake went below the water line. I sure hope anyway, haha.
Good point.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts