Green Tractor Talk banner

Don't take your rig out on the ice

6502 Views 57 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  cabinjimn
Saw this post tonight after getting in from clearing the driveway. Sad way to learn a lesson. That being said these guys did a great job with the recovery.

Here's the link to the story with additional photos: Hamm Lake Recovery

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Water Water resources Watercourse Grass Landscape

Liquid Water Fluid Freezing Melting

Snow Automotive tire Freezing Tree Tints and shades

Snow Sky Tree Freezing Geological phenomenon

Snow Sky Tree Freezing Automotive tire

Snow Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Snow Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tree

Tire Wheel Water Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Snow
See less See more
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
1 - 2 of 58 Posts
My grandfather had a 2 acre lake put in 1954. We could go out on it if it was a foot or more thick. Then he had a neighbor make an ice skating rink other side of dam about 80ft square and 2 ft. deep. Neighbor used a small bulldozer and charged $5! (1960). Grandfather used gutter from lake overflow pipe, gutter rested on a board and he would slide it over to run water about 100ft to fill rink. He had benches on one side. Lots of fond memories.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk
Back in the mid-70's my sign painter friend Ross and I dug a good sized spring fed pond on his property using his JD 450 dozer and my Hy-Dynamic Dynahoe 190. You couldn't get away with that today with the DEP and the EPA. Made a great skating rink in the Winter. When it snowed my buddy would clear it with his plow blade equipped Wheel Horse. Back then I kept my skates in the truck and would stop by frequently to skate.

We had many skating parties and pot luck get togethers there through the late 80's. The guys would hang outside and the girls would huddle around the wood stove in his adjacent shop. Many of our kids learned to skate on that pond. I had my son out there on skates at 4 years old. Couldn't get him in off the ice. Loads of fun, friends, food and drinks. Great memories!
  • Love
Reactions: 5
1 - 2 of 58 Posts