Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this?

I recently bought a 2020 1023E with a 120 FEL & bucket and BB5048L box blade to take on some badly needed projects around my home. Shortly after that I discovered GTT and I love this place. If there are any threads on this subject, I apologize that I could not find them.

In reading about top and tilt kits for the rear hitch and hydraulic flow diverters for grapples, it occurred to me that using the joystick (with the diverter switch button on the side) to control a T&T setup for a box blade would be very convenient. Obviously mounting the diverters and routing hoses would take a good bit of thought and planning, but aside from that what would prevent this from working? Any and all input will be most appreciated.

·
Administrator
19,236 Posts
Real estate is the biggest issue, there is very little room on these guys to add valve and hoses, but yes it's doable. Rather than a "diverter" many have just added a new valve to their ROPS to add accessories, there are LOTS of threads here in the Hydraulics forum where I've moved your post to.

Big questions:
Are your ready to throw $800-$1000 at this?
Can you fabricate/weld brackets and such?
Have you worked with hydraulics before?

There is an add-on electric valve kit in the works, maybe TTWT (Tractor Time with Tim) can share an update?
And Brian at FitRite has made these kits for the 1025's, I think they will fit the 1023e: Top n Tilt for JD 1000 series

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big question answers:
Maybe.....
Yes.
Yes.

Mostly I was brainstorming as the forward/backward/left/right actions of the joystick would translate perfectly to the actions of the t&t. One control to rule them all, as it were...

Thanks for the input - perhaps further investigation of more 'tried and true' solutions on my part is warranted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vast majority of my experience as a mechanic has been with Row Crop Tractors in the 125 to 200 hp range... And almost all of those were made in the last 40 years of the 20th Century. So SCUTs are new, and exciting, to me.

So please correct me if I am wrong (which I reserve the right to be!) but isn't the third SCV kit install required for the ROPs Outlets Kenny mentioned above?

·
Registered
559 Posts
This is the valve I used for my grapple diverter. They are stackable so you could add however many functions you need. To use them for top and tilt you would probably want on off switches instead of the momentary switch most use for grapple use. The valve has worked flawlessly so far. Been in service almost two years. They only draw a couple of amps each so no need for relays or complicated electrical setup. Just fuse and a switch rated at 10 amps continuous should work fine.

Stacking the valves would only use one of the loader ports but would minimize the number of extra lines.

·
Administrator
19,236 Posts
So please correct me if I am wrong (which I reserve the right to be!) but isn't the third SCV kit install required for the ROPs Outlets Kenny mentioned above?
Sort of, the 3rd SCV is not needed in the scenario you asked about first, you would be "diverting" SCV's #1 and #2 (lift/lower, dump/curl).

Now, if you wanted the ROPS mounts valve like I linked or suggested you search about, then you need the "power beyond" option (either OEM or homemade) to feed the new valve(s) that you add. The new valve gets plumbed into the tractors main hydraulic system and would be independently controlled.

Reactions: PJR832 and mark02tj

·
Administrator
19,236 Posts
This is the valve I used for my grapple diverter. They are stackable so you could add however many functions you need. To use them for top and tilt you would probably want on off switches instead of the momentary switch most use for grapple use. The valve has worked flawlessly so far. Been in service almost two years. They only draw a couple of amps each so no need for relays or complicated electrical setup. Just fuse and a switch rated at 10 amps continuous should work fine.

Stacking the valves would only use one of the loader ports but would minimize the number of extra lines.

Yes, those valve(s) are great and easily stacked together, it just becomes a mess of hoses though trying to divert the mid-mounted SCV ports to the rear, that adds a minimum of eight hoses-maybe even 12 depending on where they are mounted.

Reactions: PJR832 and mark02tj

·
Registered
24 Posts
... forward/backward/left/right actions of the joystick would translate perfectly to the actions of the t&t. ...

That is how my JD 110 TLB top/tilt works...and yes it is very intuitive. I'm going to set up my (on order) 4066R the same way.

As other post(s) have indicated, diverting hydraulics front to rear can make for a lot of plumbing! Factory engineered and designed, the JD110TLB diverter has been flawless.

If the diverter had to be "homebrewed", the suggestion to plumb into the power beyond sure would simplify the plumbing!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yes, those valve(s) are great and easily stacked together, it just becomes a mess of hoses though trying to divert the mid-mounted SCV ports to the rear, that adds a minimum of eight hoses-maybe even 12 depending on where they are mounted.
Any use of a diverter is going to look messier than factory type valves and hard lines.

I saw a thread on here a while back that mentioned using 3/8" brake line with compression fittings. I suppose you could go that route to make things neater.

A couple of 3 position spool valves plumbed off the power beyond would probably be ideal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I apologize for taking so long to reply - I really appreciate all of those who commented!

I was under the impression that Power Beyond provides a source of constant hydrolic flow for attachments such as a backhoe that has its own controls separate from those on the tractor... How would outlet valves placed in this circuit be controlled? Would it be electrical solenoids with buttons mounted at some practical place? This would provide only full on/off for as long as the button is held, right? Or am I missing something?

I have read somewhere (can't really remember where...) that the third SCV kit for the 1025R will also work on the 1023E. If that is the case, then having that with a diverter might be a solution... I'm sure the SCV kit is not cheap though. Any thoughts?

Thanks again in advance.

·
Administrator
19,236 Posts
The PB circuit provides a constant flow of hydraulic oil anytime the engine is running, there is no control over it, and you would not plumb a "diverter" into it, so you are 100% correct on that. You can however plumb a "directional control valve" into it, either a manual one with levers or a solenoid one with switches. The valve could be mounted anywhere convenient (this is the issue on these small tractors) that you can reach the levers, our you can mount switches anywhere if using an electrical one-and yes they are ON or OFF.

There are many threads in the Hydraulic forum on adding "remotes" into the PB circuit, mostly on the 1025's though but it's the same on the 1023. See if this search link works for you:

Reactions: mark02tj and PJR832

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks again for all the information - I am learning so much from all of the posters and answerphiles on this great forum. For example, I just learned that the John Deere third SCV control is also electronic and therefore fully on/off as well... So I now understand why control valves in the Power Beyond circuit would be more efficient in terms of plumbing and space. You guys rock! 👍

1 - 12 of 12 Posts